Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Premium +150mW Green Laser

What are the best batteries to use on an Premium +150mW Green Laser from optotronics to get the best performance and longest battery life?

Machro

A couple of weeks ago i saw a documentary on tv between cheap and premium ones.
For a premium they took a duracell ultra. They tested both battery in a rc car continously. The cheap last around 7 minutes more ! And the premium ones are around 5 times more expensive. I personnaly don't care about batteries. I doesn't matter which batteries you buy but you could also use rechargeable ones.

When energizer ultimate lithium are new do they start off at 1.7 volts, Jack told me they would and not to use them in the premium 150.

Machro

for all my penstyle lasers i'm using ordinary cheap batteries and didn't had any problems so far.

Machro

It's your choice if you are willing to pay so much money for batteries.

Trevor

It's your choice if you are willing to pay so much money for batteries.

Machro, this thread isn't a spot for your personal commentary on batteries. You should go make one of those videos on YouTube titled "THE SECRET BATTERY COMPANIES DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW!!!1111one" instead of parading around here. Your information is useless without cited sources.

@OP- When I had one I used from 1.2V NiMH batteries. They give you less output, but are rechargeable and the voltage doesn't sag under the high current load of the laser. You'll get more power initially on alkaline primaries, but the laser will quickly drop in output. With NiMH's, you'll get less initial power, but that power will will be sustained for much longer.

-Trevor

Last edited:
This thread isn't a spot for your personal commentary on batteries. You should go make one of those videos on YouTube titled "THE SECRET BATTERY COMPANIES DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW!!!1111one" instead of parading around here. Your information is useless without cited sources.

@OP- When I had one I used from 1.2V NiMH batteries. They give you less output, but are rechargeable and the voltage doesn't sag under the high current load of the laser. You'll get more power initially on alkaline primaries, but the laser will quickly drop in output. With NiMH's, you'll get less initial power, but that power will will be sustained for much longer.

-Trevor
I though this was the spot exactly for those kinds of questions, i guess im wrong though sorry about that.

Trevor

I though this was the spot exactly for those kinds of questions, i guess im wrong though sorry about that.

I was referring to Machro's inane comments. OP stands for 'original post.' :)

-Trevor

My Opto 150 pen looks brighter with rechargeables than with primaries.

How does the opto 150 host compare to other pen style host like dinodirect, because they look the same and i heard those pen style hosts on dino are crappy.

Trevor

How does the opto 150 host compare to other pen style host like dinodirect, because they look the same and i heard those pen style hosts on dino are crappy.

The threads are a little squeaky, but I never found the host to otherwise be a problem. The ones bought from other sources aren't screened by Jack though, and I've never bought one, so I can't really speak for their QC, sorry.

-Trevor

itsmei

I'd get rechargeable batteries as it doesn't really matter how Long they last as you can always recharge them. Rechargeable normally have a higher voltage too, my CR2 batteries are ment to be 3.0v but when fully charged they are 3.6v. I currently have all my lasers running on CR2 batteries so I have LOADS of batteries, when I am using a laser, batteries are charging so I will never run out of power :)

The Opto pen hosts are heavier than the dino's and made from a thicker metal.
Also the threads are smoother than the standard newwish style host.
In short, it's a better host.

I'd get rechargeable batteries as it doesn't really matter how Long they last as you can always recharge them. Rechargeable normally have a higher voltage too, my CR2 batteries are ment to be 3.0v but when fully charged they are 3.6v. I currently have all my lasers running on CR2 batteries so I have LOADS of batteries, when I am using a laser, batteries are charging so I will never run out of power :)

Jack told me if i use any batteries over the recommended voltage it could burn the diode. he said only to use 1.5volt.