Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Powering a blu ray laser

I recently extrated the blu ray diode along with the curcuit board and whatnot that it's mounted on from an old blu ray player. It still has the power cable connected to it (on the diode end only) and rather than extracting just the diode and building a laser around that, I'm wondering if i can just supply power to the cable already connected to it and use it as it is. How would I go about doing that?

Hi,
Better to take the ribbon off of the diode solder two wires or solder the driver to the diode.
What is the sled you took it from first theres all kinds of diode powers 8x 12x 16x this will determine the xdrive setting you will need for that perticular diode. So you don't kill it , here is one of my 405nm builds its a BDR/209/405nm diode set to 650mA in a all brass pen host. Theres a flat package red diode in the BDR/209 sleds along with the 405nm/3.8mm diode

Attachments

• IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1098.JPG
    IMG_1098.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1088.JPG
    IMG_1088.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 134
The cable connected to the diode? If you have a current and voltage regulator (so you don't burn out the diode) the yes, you could power it through the ribbon. If you don't have a current and voltage regulator, you can get a laser driver set at the proper amperage and voltage for the diode.

You said it was a blu ray player? Those won't be able to burn anything, but they are a nice violet color. If it was from a blu ray burner, what speed could it write at?