Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Power your laser with a Universal Adapter?

Switch

If you use a driver too, I don't see why not.Otherwise I don't know if the current will be ideal for a diode and it depends which diode too ::)

Amnizu

I can't remember which laser it is, but one of the bigger and more powerful lasers, the Hercules possibly, can be powered by a special plug so you can plug it into the wall. At least, that's what a friend told me, he could be completely full of shit. I have no idea.

I've read about that, it has a part where you can possibly connect a universal adapter to. Using the herc as an example, 3x1.5 D cells = 4.5V but on their website they recommend using a 3.6V adapter. I'm guessing running it underpowered to avoid frying it?

While going to hardware shops, they ask me what "amp" rating I would need. For a unit that runs on 2 AAA 1.5 Alkaline batteries, what "amp" rating should I buy?

kake

If you are going to connect it to the battery connections, and not directly to the diode, i would say.. Doesn't really matter. Connect a multimeter to your batteries while it's lasing, and check the current. I would say you would need a power adapter rated a little higher than that. Chances are that it would be less than 500mA anyway, and many places doesn't even sell power adapters with less than one amp.

Amnizu said:
I can't remember which laser it is, but one of the bigger and more powerful lasers, the Hercules possibly, can be powered by a special plug so you can plug it into the wall. At least, that's what a friend told me, he could be completely full of shit. I have no idea.
I think that's right, morepower said something about doing that.

Yes, the Hercules can be run from a universal adapter. The Herc has a separate point where the adapter plugs in and which when connected to the adapter, bypasses the batteries altogether.

Of course, using an AC adapter only has much point when used with a laser - like the Herc - which has no duty cycle.

i think you should power it with a
741416761_4a4c8dbdf8_o.jpg

I'm pretty sure you could use a wallwart... but it really depends on the laser. The rechargeable cat is always an option though ;)

notice how the cat's eyes tell you how charged it is, i will buy one of these right now...

PS: i know they are already faking it on DX, making the recharrrgeabble jellyfish

I'm just thinking of a way to save on batteries if I can make something that I can use to power my laser indoors.
Ah well, I'll just go with the rechargeable cat. :D

Things

Just grab a 3V wall adaptor, strip the ends of the wires, connect - to the spring inside the barrel, and + to anywhere on the laser case. The inbuilt driver will limit he current for you. Just make sure the wall adaptor is DC, NOT AC output!!!!

Ace82

I use an AC/DC transformer 3v @ 250ma for testing and building lasers (where the battery housing isn't intact). Otherwise, why do you want a wired laser? I understand when they are lab modules and need a separate power supply, but if it's handheld, why not use rechargeable NiMH?

Ace82 said:
I use an AC/DC transformer 3v @ 250ma for testing and building lasers (where the battery housing isn't intact).  Otherwise, why do you want a wired laser?  I understand when they are lab modules and need a separate power supply, but if it's handheld, why not use rechargeable NiMH?  

he was just asking if it was possible (it is), maybe he's trying to create a laser alarm trigger with a handheld laser..