Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Power Supply HeNe Laser Hook Up Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I have here is a JDSU Power supply, Model: 111-1250-4-1, and a Uniphase HeNe Laser, Model: 1108P. Shown Below:

sam0072v.jpg

Power Supply and HeNe Laser

sam0073.jpg

I guess my question would have to be...Is the power supply only suppose to have three wires sticking out of it? Are the two smaller wires for the input and the one bigger red wire for the output? How would one go about setting this up? Any information/help is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: ARG

Small red is positive in, small black is common (in/out) ground/negative, large red (should have an inner insulation layer, possiblly white) is HIGH VOLTAGE out (to laser tube annode). You should be able to run another 'black' lead (I would use HIGH VOLTAGE lead wire capable of at least 1.2KV insullation) from supply ground to the laser tube cathode. This stuff is VERY dangerous. The output voltage of this supply will exceed the insulation breakdown voltage of many insullators. The result can be many low current, but high voltage, and high temp arcs. You get in the way, and the voltage is enough to punch right through your clothes and through your skin (nasty burn ant the least, stopped heart at the worst!). Be VERY CAREFULL. Insulate and isolate everything as best you can.

Then sell that gas tube and supply and go buy some diodes, drivers, and batteries

Reactions: ARG
You're wrong about everything except the three leads.

Why would he need high voltage wire? The cathode lead is at ground potential.

5mA is not enough to stop the heart or even enough to cause a "nasty burn." Ask anyone who's been bit by these. It just hurts a lot.

There's no reason to sell the tube. A common household outlet is more dangerous than the output of this PSU.

daguin

The wiring suggestion is correct.

The paranoia is NOT.

Wire it up with the cathode from the tube going back to black (ground)

Yes it can "bite" you. No it won't kill or "burn" you.

Learn to use this stuff carefully anyway. It can hurt AND more importantly, it can make you drop or throw the tube :(

It is a good idea to get used to using only one hand with this stuff anyway. Work with one hand behind your back ;)

Peace
dave

I yeild to the more knoledgable Mr. Quin.

But I still don't like playing with HV, especially DC. Just be careful!

AC is more likely to cause ventricular fibrillation.

"AC, particularly of the common 50-60 Hz (cycles/second) variety, is three to five times more dangerous than DC (direct current) of the same voltage and amperage (current strength).

DC tends to cause a convulsive contraction of the muscles, often forcing the victim away from further current exposure. The effects of AC on the body depend to a great extent on the frequency: low-frequency currents (50–60 Hz) are usually more dangerous than high-frequency currents. AC causes muscle spasm, often 'freezing' the hand (the most common part of the body to make contact) to the circuit. "

Link
Link
Link
Link

Last edited:
I messed with HeNe's as far back as the mid 80's, and have caught enough HV pokes to probably have killed some brain cells. The PSUs themselves are well insulated, but the problem comes from the cathode/anode connections with the tubes. Also, the tubes can still nail you when powered off because they hold a charge for a short time. Won't kill you, as per above (I'm still here) but they'll make you scream and/or hurl something. By far the worst shock I ever got from a HV source was from a neon sign power supply which grounded against my wrist. Gas laser PSUs don't have much sustained current when running (neither do stun guns or tasers), but a 200-400watt HV supply is another story.

Cyparagon,
Checked your links and must yeild to your point.
For over 30 years I have been laboring under the teaching of U.S. Government military instruction and the American Red Cross, which told us the exact oposite: 1)DC made the muscles clench and you were more likely to grab hold and keep holding on in a shock. AC made the muscles spasm and therefore, your buddy could kick you lose, 2) AC disrupted the the nerve signals, but the signals would clear up as the stimulus was removed, where as DC would polarize the chemicals and bloc nerve signals for a longer time, thus stopping the heart under the right conditions. We were also instructed that as little as 3mA across the heart was enough to stop it and thus, the 'one hand in the pocket and one hand in the circuit' rule to lessen the possibility of completing that path.
My appologies and I conceed, you are right.

Also, Thank you for the links. Much to your chagrin, you may have helped to prolong an old fart's life. Interresting reading, scary how many times I have done the dance with electrins and thought I was being safe. You learn something every day, if you keep an open mind. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.