Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Power levels for a specific diode

Hi Everyone, First time poster here,

I am gathering parts for a 3W build using a flashlight host and a diode/driver/lens setup from DTR's laser shop.

445nm 9mm Diode In Copper Module W/2.4A X-Drive & Three Element Glass

It is listed at 3W, just curious, what in the diode determines how much power it can handle?

can a 3w diode be pushed to 4 or 5w with a higher amperage driver?

Sorry for the newb questions, this is my first build.

Also, Thank you to Jordan at DTR's for all of the help previous to this. He has been awesome.

Hi Everyone, First time poster here,

I am gathering parts for a 3W build using a flashlight host and a diode/driver/lens setup from DTR's laser shop.

445nm 9mm Diode In Copper Module W/2.4A X-Drive & Three Element Glass

It is listed at 3W, just curious, what in the diode determines how much power it can handle?

can a 3w diode be pushed to 4 or 5w with a higher amperage driver?

Sorry for the newb questions, this is my first build.

Also, Thank you to Jordan at DTR's for all of the help previous to this. He has been awesome.

Hello, welcome jaykhjr, what determines how much power it can handle are the specs from the manufacturer or testing done by members here.

No you can't push it much with higher amperage, it will kill the diode.

You won't get 3W with the 3 element lens, get the G2 lens if you want maximum power.

For one example of a 3W build have a look what I did here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/assembled-445nm-9mm-stainless-steel-host-pic-heavy-85997.html
There are many other build threads where people showed what they did that are interesting and educational.

Alan

HI Alan, Thanks for the reply

I am going to order a g2 lens then, I would rather do it right the first time.

Do I need an external spring?

Other than DTR and Survival laser, do you have any recommendations for vendors to purchase parts/diodes/drivers/heatsinks etc?

i have seen a few 6W builds, they look sweet (no idea what I would do with it but it would be fun)

Any ideas where I could pick up a 6W diode?

Thanks again,

Jay

HI Alan, Thanks for the reply

I am going to order a g2 lens then, I would rather do it right the first time.

Do I need an external spring?

Other than DTR and Survival laser, do you have any recommendations for vendors to purchase parts/diodes/drivers/heatsinks etc?

i have seen a few 6W builds, they look sweet (no idea what I would do with it but it would be fun)

Any ideas where I could pick up a 6W diode?

Thanks again,

Jay

You don't need an external spring although that is what I prefer, others use the internal spring or Teflon tape/plumbers tape.

I do highly recommend an extended or enlarged focus knob with that powerful of a laser, please trust me when I say avoid contact with the beam including your fingers.

6W with one diode would be an anomaly, however 4W - 5W+ is easily possible and DTR sells that diode, it's the 445nm rated at 3.5W.

Are you in the US or another country? You should fill out your profile more and include your location before asking questions or you won't get as many answers.

There are many places to buy but the main ones are:

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/

For US customers:
Survival Laser USA Home
For international customers:
Survival Laser International Home

Illumn.com - Flashlights, Batteries, Carry Gear, Intelligent LED Lighting, and More!

http://www.aixiz.com

Also the buy/sell/trade section here. I buy some of my hosts from Mrcrouse/Ed Crouse, there are some additional links on DTR's site.

Alan

Hi Alan, I think I have that info filled out now, I am in the Pittsburgh area. Thanks for the links, I may try to do a larger build in the future, I'm going to try to do one diode at 3W for now. I just ordered the G2 lens from DTR.

I am sure I could find this info elsewhere on the Forum, but what does a custom machined host (CNC) cost on average? some of them are pretty sweet.

Thanks again,

Jay

Average for a custom machined host? I would say $75 to $150 average but can go much higher. There are many commonly used hosts that cost less.

I forgot to say I have also bought many laser related items on Amazon including batteries, Chargers, safety glasses and a power supply, neodymium magnets and I don't know what else. DTR and AixiZ also sell some of their stuff on Amazon.

You should also post a thread in the welcome area to tell people a little about yourself.

Alan

Thanks alan, I'll have to post there, everything I've read so far has been really helpful.

I'll post pics and info in a build post when I start! It will be a few days until I have all my parts.

Jay