Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Post your random pics!

I was wondering why a bike would be left chained to a tree for so long too. Then I started to think something happened to the owner, so they never came back for the bike. I guess we could speculate anything, only the shadow knows, or the guy who chained it there who is laughing how they got rid of what they considered a piece of junk and no one has come to remove it.

In Anchorage we only use sand on our roads in the winter, thus our cars don't rust very fast compared to many eastern states.

Why no salt? https://www.adn.com/anchorage/article/price-fighting-roadway-ice/2008/11/28/

Reactions: GSS

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Last edited:
They might sell cars faster that way too? I don't know, must be worth it to reduce accidents or they wouldn't spend the money? Perhaps the economy too, if people can't, or are afraid to drive to work. Temperatures near freezing, either just above or below are both dangerous, as cars sit in intersections they warm the ice and melt it some making it slick where it can be the most dangerous, if you try to stop and can't. In Alaska, most of the winter we are far below freezing, so it isn't as slick.

GSS

Looking out my window I see probably see 10 cars that I know of that have had rusted out and popped brake lines, mine included a few times, fuel line sending units etc..
Exhaust systems seem to last roughly 3 years:tsk: no joke.
Big money in these area's for sure for parts stores:)
I do get a kick though from watching a U tube video of someone showing a repair and no rust what so ever to deal with:whistle: What a whole new ball game.
Bowtie, as for your Nova, I wouldn't drive it unless it was dipped in a pool of vasoline then bubble wrapped:thinking:

Alaskan, if your wife happends to get bored by your absence I would ask her to play detective and solve that bike thing:eg:

diachi

Looking out my window I see probably see 10 cars that I know of that have had rusted out and popped brake lines, mine included a few times, fuel line sending units etc..
Exhaust systems seem to last roughly 3 years:tsk: no joke.
Big money in these area's for sure for parts stores:)
I do get a kick though from watching a U tube video of someone showing a repair and no rust what so ever to deal with:whistle: What a whole new ball game.
Bowtie, as for your Nova, I wouldn't drive it unless it was dipped in a pool of vasoline then bubble wrapped:thinking:

Alaskan, if your wife happends to get bored by your absence I would ask her to play detective and solve that bike thing:eg:

Same sort of climate here in Yellowknife, we also don't use salt as it's too cold for it to work, they just dump gravel on the roads periodically. :) That said, the climate causes other issues.

My truck is 10 years old and has a few rust patches, but nothing unreasonable, nothing rusted through. Has the same exhaust it had when I bought it 3.5 years ago (which was probably on there for a couple years before, nice straight pipe!), no issues there. Although the exhaust manifold had some broken bolts/rust issues, that's a common issue on that engine though. Rear brakes needed done last year, complete replacement, shoes, drum, cylinders (both blew, leaked a ton of fluid, driving that to the shop with no brakes was fun) and mounting hardware. Going to put that one down to my drifting around in the winter... :D

Don't let the lack of salt fool you, mechanics here rake it in too, between the extreme cold and the bumpy roads a lot of parts really don't last all that long, notably suspension parts and all manner of seals/hoses. :p

Last edited:
Instead of salt, states may use calcium chloride or magnesium chloride. They make a brine-like solution with water that has a higher melting point than slat and are better for cars and the environment.

17991923_10107885516778049_4448591884233295416_n.jpg

Little nephew forgot this guy when my brother and his wife were visiting. Now I have an excuse to buy transformers again :D

That's hilarious. I didn't know you had a collection of these at one time. I was pretty old when the first iteration popped up. Never knew anyone personally who had a collection.

That's hilarious. I didn't know you had a collection of these at one time. I was pretty old when the first iteration popped up. Never knew anyone personally who had a collection.

Without going into details I had what would be considered a very difficult childhood, and adolescence. (Life hasn't been a picnic since, but it has gotten better.)

Being a very introverted, not very social child, I had an extremely active imagination, and according to my parents went from playing with large wooden blocks (soviet union, circa 1985-86) to more complicated toys, regular sized legos, and erector sets by 2. Before I actually started talking :eek:

So pretty much up until I left for college at 17, I did have a ton of toys, and aside from legos, transformers were my favorites. There was a cartoon called Beast Wars in the 90's... I had a nearly complete set of all the characters. One day I was in a bad mood, don't even remember why, but I showed everything into a big garbage back and threw them out.

Definitely regret that decision now. Would have been nice to give them to my nephew, and looking at what they sell for, combined they'd probably be worth 2-3k today.

Nephew doesn't have the spacial reasoning to actually transform them yet, but loves how they move around, change shape, and so on.

While I'm not ruling out the possibility entirely, I do not plan to have kids, but I do look forward a lot to spoiling my brother's kid :D

So yes... again :p

That was a very moving story. You never know what anyone has been through. Thank you for sharing it. It isn't always easy to put your personal story out there for everyone to see. :)
One thing you may not be aware of is that some toys have small parts that easily break off and if put in the mouth of a small child can cause a choking hazard. As a single parent it is something I became aware of early. I had a grandmother who was watching my child as well as her younger grandson when my daughter was 4 years old. She claimed that my daughter broke a small plastic toy car of his, though she was only speculating, having not been around when the toy was broken. Her grandson was 2 years old and the toy package said for children 7 and up. I explained to her that that was not a suggestion for her grandson's ability to interact with the toy, but a warning that it was a choking hazard for him. She became indignant and i got a new child care provider for my daughter the very next day. I thought I would share this as you never know what might cause irrevocable harm to a small child whom you obviously care a great deal for.

Last edited:
Thank you. With age comes perspective, and the types of things used to cause me anxiety seem silly to me now, nor am I embarrassed by any of my hobbies.

I think my parents bought me so many legos and transformers (which I'd often reassemble in new ways) to keep me from taking stuff apart, and reorganizing everything when I was left alone. Mom was pissed when I drilled decorative holes in some of the furniture with a manual drill. Dad even more so when he came home to the tv taken apart :p To be fair I did put it back together, and it worked, but still.

GSS

IE, the spoiling, the time and things you do with your nephew now will be story's for him to tell in years:)
Good story...

Last edited: