Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Possible to remove 5 delay? And replace C batteries?

Hi,

I have two CNI PGLIII with that 5 seconds delay and uses 2x C size 1.5 volts batteries. I have two questions.

1) Is that possible to remove this 5 seconds delay? If yes, how? Is it difficult?
2) Is that possible to make a mod to replace the two C size batteries for another type? 18650 or other rechargeable type?

Thanks

The 5 second delay is for safety purposes, so anyone wanting to remove or alter it should consider that first and foremost.

Unfortunately to remove the delay would involve hardware modification of the laser's driver circuitry. I can't say it's impossible, but it would be difficult for anyone without electronics repair/design experience to accomplish.

The cost of the laser, coupled with the difficulty and potential hazards of removing the delay are why I don't recommend that course of action.

You could conceivably replace the C batteries with an 18650 if you construct a system of spacers to take up the extra room that would be left over with an 18650 vs. 2 C batteries. A little ingenuity should be all that is required for that. You'll also need to place a silicon diode in series with the battery to drop the extra .7V provided by the 18650 since 2 C batteries provide 3V, and 18650s provide 3.7V. This diode can be easily concealed inside whatever spacers you come up with to make the 18650 fit.

Is the voltage tolerance really that low that it can't regulate an extra 0.7V?

anselm

Would you risk a CNI laser to find out wether it can or not? ;)

Benm

The 5 second delay is for safety purposes, so anyone wanting to remove or alter it should consider that first and foremost.

Its a bit of a silly safety precaution though - i even think it could make the device more dangerous...

I can imagine something like 'click... ... ... why doesnt this laser work? ... look down barrel ... zap!'

Any moron who would do that deserves their burned retinas. It's a bit like looking down the barrel of a jammed firearm.. If you get shot in the face it's your own fault.

i know ef and cyp know this but regina the C batts are =3v. and 1 fully charged 18650 is a little over 4.2v.

and about converting the host from 2 c's to 1- 18650, you can probably find some pvc pipe, and a then for the gap use a soft compression spring that is about the same size as the missing c batt.

michael.

Last edited:
Would a CNI rep know, or would they give a canned answer of "exceeding rated input voltage voids warranty"?

I like the delay on the CNI I have, for the fact that if I accidentally bump the button I won't get zapped. It's only about 3 seconds on mine though; 5 seems a bit excessive.

Kenom tried to use an 18650 in his Aries. It did not handle it well, completely killed the laser.

Well, I already gave up on both mods. :) Anyway, how much mAh an alkaline C size battery can hold?

Thanks

As for your first question, sure any thing one man can do an other man can undo ;)
It would be a matter of changing a capacitor to a smaller value and I would make it so it only had a 1 or 2 second delay ;)
For your second question I would use a Lithium 26650 cell and a dummy cell this will give you one very large Lithium cell at 4.2 volts full charge and 4000ma of power.
if that is too much voltage a diode can be placed in the dummy cell to drop .7 volt.
here is some of what you need.
2iwao42.jpg

Peace All...

Hi,

I have two CNI PGLIII with that 5 seconds delay and uses 2x C size 1.5 volts batteries. I have two questions.

1) Is that possible to remove this 5 seconds delay? If yes, how? Is it difficult?
2) Is that possible to make a mod to replace the two C size batteries for another type? 18650 or other rechargeable type?

Thanks

If you are going to run cells in parallel or in series it's a good idea to attach a blocking diode across each one, and they realy should be checked to match there internal resistance which would mean you will need many more than the three you end up with :undecided:
And using small RCR123 cells that only have about 500ma of usefull service could only get about 1500ma in the very best set-up :undecided:
Wouldn't it seem much better to start with a cell that will slide right in with no soldering required and be able to deliver 4000+ ma of juice :tinfoil:

Couldn't she run a few 3V CR123 batteries in parallel?

Benm

Any moron who would do that deserves their burned retinas. It's a bit like looking down the barrel of a jammed firearm.. If you get shot in the face it's your own fault.

I dont agree on that really... if you don't know about the delay, it could be very tempting to do something stupid like that.

Imagine having a car that had a minute delay between starting it, and the engine actually starting. You'd probably put it in first gear, press the clutch and attempt to start the car. Since it doesnt move, you'd probably leave the clutch alone, get out, and pop the hood to see what is wrong. By the time you have the hood open and you're staring at the engine, the minute delay is up, and the car runs you over.

If you own and have experience with a laser, this would not happen to you since you know about the delay... but the problem is with people that have no clue about the delay being there, firing up the laser and then inspecting what is going on. Staring down the barrel is both stupid and intuitive to do - not unlike getting in front of a defective car to inspect any problems.