Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Possible to Fix beam divergence?

Would it be possible to refocus a green laser if it had really bad divergence? at 10 meters the dot is about 8cm wide

maxkillz said:
Would it be possible to refocus a green laser if it had really bad divergence? at 10 meters the dot is about 8cm wide

some more info on the particular laser would help to answer the question

It's my friends alpha 125, I'll ask him to bring it over when he can. When I saw it the beam starts kinda wide and expands really fast, by the time it goes across my 20ft ish room it's the size of a softball. It burns really well up close though...the furthest we lit a match was about a foot and a half :-/ and that took a while.

artix

maxkillz said:
It's my friends alpha 125, I'll ask him to bring it over when he can. When I saw it the beam starts kinda wide and expands really fast, by the time it goes across my 20ft ish room it's the size of a softball. It burns really well up close though...the furthest we lit a match was about a foot and a half  :-/ and that took a while.

Just send it back and ask them to do it. If it is still in warranty, it will probably be free!

Artix said:
[quote author=maxkillz link=1221769053/0#2 date=1221772317]It's my friends alpha 125, I'll ask him to bring it over when he can. When I saw it the beam starts kinda wide and expands really fast, by the time it goes across my 20ft ish room it's the size of a softball. It burns really well up close though...the furthest we lit a match was about a foot and a half :-/ and that took a while.

Just send it back and ask them to do it. If it is still in warranty, it will probably be free![/quote]
He just got it yesterday so it should be under warrenty.Do you think they could fix it and send back the same one??? It's putting out an average of ~120mW and peaks at around the 140 mark according to the paper it came with. How accurate are those papers anyways?

maxkillz said:
[quote author=Artix link=1221769053/0#3 date=1221789055][quote author=maxkillz link=1221769053/0#2 date=1221772317]It's my friends alpha 125, I'll ask him to bring it over when he can. When I saw it the beam starts kinda wide and expands really fast, by the time it goes across my 20ft ish room it's the size of a softball. It burns really well up close though...the furthest we lit a match was about a foot and a half :-/ and that took a while.

Just send it back and ask them to do it. If it is still in warranty, it will probably be free![/quote]
He just got it yesterday so it should be under warrenty.Do you think they could fix it and send back the same one??? It's putting out an average of ~120mW and peaks at around the 140 mark according to the paper it came with. How accurate are those papers anyways?[/quote]

Sounds like the collimating lens is not in the position for optimal collimation. Call Nova and explain the problem. Ask if adjusting the lens yourself will void the warranty.
A very simple fix.

maxkillz said:
[quote author=Artix link=1221769053/0#3 date=1221789055][quote author=maxkillz link=1221769053/0#2 date=1221772317]It's my friends alpha 125, I'll ask him to bring it over when he can. When I saw it the beam starts kinda wide and expands really fast, by the time it goes across my 20ft ish room it's the size of a softball. It burns really well up close though...the furthest we lit a match was about a foot and a half  :-/ and that took a while.

He just got it yesterday so it should be under warrenty.Do you think they could fix it and send back the same one??? It's putting out an average of ~120mW and peaks at around the 140 mark according to the paper it came with. How accurate are those papers anyways?[/quote]
If you returned it, it would most likely be more power; NOVA is really good about quality control, 120mW from an Alpha125 is actually strange for them, with pen styles, it's usually ~20mW overspec. I would send it in. EDIT: I read 124 as the average. That is REALLY wierd for them, it's a defect.

finally got him to bring it over, heres a beam shot. the laser is about 15ft away and already the beam is about as big around as my fist

Attachments

• beam_shot.jpg
    beam_shot.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 184
yeah thats not right at all. Send it back, they'll fix it and it will probably have more power.

My 125 averaged like 140 and peaked 150