Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Posability for broken Pin Repair

Recently I broke the pos. pin on my Red Short Open Can diode. I did my best micro surgury and even tried a bypass where I soldered a lead to the inside/front pin inside the diode itself I actually got it on there without breaking the lead to the laser element or shorting to the case. Unfortunately it didn't make it. Later I remembered this stuff: Wire Glue. I could have spared the diode all that heat and simply glued a lead to the stub that was left after breaking the pin. The procedure would be something like this:
1) Insolate the rest of the diode body around the stub with something like this: FUJIK Silicone Thermal Glue and let it dry.
2) Use a set of helping hands to position and glue a lead to what is left of your pin with Wire Glue.

Hope this helps somebody.

Cheers,

Ryan

Last edited:

k1kb0t

I snapped off a pin on one of PHR's flush with the case. I figured there was no way to fix it so it went in the trash. Thanks for the tip, I need to order some of this glue.

Jon

With blu-ray you wouldn't have to concern yourself with insolation. The can is nutral.

I will be making an order soon too. I got this peltier there too that I will use for a laser TEC. The actual peltier inside is about 1.5 inches or so if I remember correctly.

wow that peltier is MASSIVE. Haha it should be interesting to see the temp changes in the build that you incorporate this into.

-25 degrees?

lol maybe...I removed the peltier from the heat sinks though so who knows.

-SighFX

on PHR diodes you can just put a small blob of solder over the broken pen and let it connect to the case (just try to always solder on the diode when it is in a heatsink). if it was the Positive pin broken, now your diode is case Positive and you can use the case pin in place of the broken pin. same for GND too.

Yes that does work WHL, that's how my first 6X w/ a mashed pin was rescued by John Lawson. btw, Thanks JL!

I have some of the wire glue stuff.. Never used it though, but I can see how it can be useful. They sell it on ThinkGeek too, if you don't feel like paying $10 for other stuff on the electronic goldmine.

k1kb0t

I have some of the wire glue stuff.. Never used it though, but I can see how it can be useful. They sell it on ThinkGeek too, if you don't feel like paying $10 for other stuff on the electronic goldmine.

The prices are same on now, how weird. When I looked at the link on Electronic Goldmine earlier the price was $10, now it's $3.95. It's like they are monitoring this thread. :thinking:

on PHR diodes you can just put a small blob of solder over the broken pen and let it connect to the case (just try to always solder on the diode when it is in a heatsink). if it was the Positive pin broken, now your diode is case Positive and you can use the case pin in place of the broken pin. same for GND too.

Yeah, but I've broken BOTH pins several times in the past lol. I tried doing surgery a different way, but it never worked out. Ohh well, I'm much more careful now. :)

on scopeguys the pin actually broke all the way off i put a small jumper to the stub of the pin to the - of the driver board very hard to do and i still have a headache from doing it lol
your welcome Glenn

That's how far back my pin was broken and I think I simply overheated it when trying to add the jumper, cleaning up mistakes, Trying again. By the time I finaly got a good jumper added it was over for the diode. Next time I think I will try insolating the can and using this glue. If I ever break the + pin on a Red anyway.

chears,

Ryan