Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Portable and resonable CO2 laser

Arayan

I would need, for some field experiments, of an handheld CO2 laser (10-20 W; air or water cooled), but it is very difficult to find and I do not have the time to build a decent one (and in any case I'm not able to make an acceptable casing). The only companies that I have found are Access Laser company (accesslaserco.com/) and Informations unlimited (amazing1.com). The first company has very expensive products and the second one has only a laser which seems built with second choice components (and it is expensive also!)

I wanted to ask if anyone knows where I can find one or can build one for me :D

Thanks and I apologize to the moderators if I have posted in a wrong section

Arayan

I'd take a look on ebay ;9
Actually is one of the first things I did. I follow it from about a month, there are many interesting CO2 lasers but nothing is small or portable :(

vk2fro

Now why do you want a portable laser gun err CO2 Laser? :)

No, Nothing in the CO2 department is "small" or "portable". You discovered some products, but I doubt they will produce the results you want...

Most of the tubes on ebay are water cooled. That means, (if you want a ghostbusters style ray gun), you'll need to lug a water supply and chiller. Then you'll need a 18kv minimum LETHAL power supply, saftey glasses, something to hold the tube, a water pump, oh, did I mention the chiller? Once you have it all together, get your mate in the loading dock of the local factory to bring his forklift to zip behind you with the chiller :D

CO2 lasers are a big undertaking. Not as difficult to run as GG's SP 168, but still a hassle. You've got water near lethal amounts of power, a chiller if you want a closed loop system, an invisible beam of light, and a bigass power supply to deal with. Usually the smaller CO2's need 15-18 kv at 18 ma to run, and 30kv to strike.

I would look into packing (if you want a reasonable "death ray", a diode bar properly focussed, along with a pair of 28ah 12 volt batteries. Use a 12v supply, and you may get an hours constant fire).

The logistics of making a CO2 "backpack" or "carry-cart" portable just dont work at the moment; not for any length of time. (is that a honda or a sola genny you have in your cart sir?)

edit: the 20W tubes on ebay may be only a foot and bit long, but once you add all the ancillary equipment, volume amasses....

Arayan

Now why do you want a portable laser gun err CO2 Laser? :)

No, Nothing in the CO2 department is "small" or "portable". You discovered some products, but I doubt they will produce the results you want...

Most of the tubes on ebay are water cooled. That means, (if you want a ghostbusters style ray gun), you'll need to lug a water supply and chiller. Then you'll need a 18kv minimum LETHAL power supply, saftey glasses, something to hold the tube, a water pump, oh, did I mention the chiller? Once you have it all together, get your mate in the loading dock of the local factory to bring his forklift to zip behind you with the chiller :D

CO2 lasers are a big undertaking. Not as difficult to run as GG's SP 168, but still a hassle. You've got water near lethal amounts of power, a chiller if you want a closed loop system, an invisible beam of light, and a bigass power supply to deal with. Usually the smaller CO2's need 15-18 kv at 18 ma to run, and 30kv to strike.

I would look into packing (if you want a reasonable "death ray", a diode bar properly focussed, along with a pair of 28ah 12 volt batteries. Use a 12v supply, and you may get an hours constant fire).

The logistics of making a CO2 "backpack" or "carry-cart" portable just dont work at the moment; not for any length of time. (is that a honda or a sola genny you have in your cart sir?)

edit: the 20W tubes on ebay may be only a foot and bit long, but once you add all the ancillary equipment, volume amasses....
I will not undertake the work of ghostbusters even if I'm one their great fan and, view of my age, I had the good fortune of seeing the first film at the cinema :)
I need the "laser gun" to do some tests in the field of the environmental biomonitoring, but really I would need a power of 2 - 4 w for this purpose, but since I have seen that there are some portable CO2 laser with more power, I would like to have even one of 10 - 15 W for pure hobby ;)
Regarding the structure I know how the CO2 laser work (I have also built a simple model some time ago) and I assure you that you can have one with a reasonable size and medium power (see link in my first post). You are right about the dangers of high voltage, but I'm used to working with dangerous equipments and, sometimes, it is sufficient just a minimum precaution and common sense.

vk2fro

Ok - I misunderstood.

So long as you could carry a small air cooled CO2, or a generous water supply (recirculating) to cool a water cooled tube, one of the 10W tubes would suit your needs. How long would you be operating the laser for? perhaps a deep cycle battery and 12-115/240 inverter or a home built inverter supply (running directly off the battery) might suit your needs.

I'm sorry if I came across all "your a noob" stle there, but I (unjustly) made the mistake of picking you out to wanting to make a "ray gun"

A small tube like that should only need mabye a large pool cleaner style bucket (the big ones you get chlorine in) or similar as a reservoir of water, and a powerful pump to keep em cool if the duty cycle is low. The only trouble I see you having here is the power supply. You will either need to use a commercial supply (mains powered) and 12-115-COM-PSU-18kv, or make your own inverter supply, or source a wierdo supply from an exotic source that will run off the 12 volt battery. Most of my gear here runs off 12 volts - bar the hot water, stove and lights, only coz I am used to taking my radio stuff (12v gear) camping; so on a 5 day trip, taking the big 22" screen to monitor PSK signals from the radio, is heaps better than squinting at a laptop in bright sunlight! :) (yes, it *JUST* squeezes into my rucksack, and is padded by the sleeping bag so its not broken... yet!)

Cheers
Ben

Arayan

I'm sorry if I came across all "your a noob" stle there, but I (unjustly) made the mistake of picking you out to wanting to make a "ray gun"
Don’t worry, it's a good thing to discourage any irresponsible use of lasers ;)
How long would you be operating the laser for? perhaps a deep cycle battery and 12-115/240 inverter or a home built inverter supply (running directly off the battery) might suit your needs.
I was thinking of something similar for the power supply, the laser must not work more than 10-15 minutes, among other things I remember that one very experienced member of this community (Hemlock_Mike) that writes always precise posts had built an air cooled CO2 portable laser if I find the thread I will post it. A similar project could give the idea of what I need. :)

Thank you for the interesting in my problem

Edit: this is the project
1115-co2-10.jpg

Last edited:

vk2fro

ooohhhh I like - now if only that would fit into one of my UN standard weapons bays :)

(coulda used one of those this morning!)

That thing looks like a pump action shotgun kinda.

ok enough ben, stop drooling ;)

edit: now that WOULD be the ultimate illegalness in australia in public! :D

Last edited:

Arayan

For this project he was inspired to Starwars... the result is very cool especially for the enthusiasts of science fiction ;)
Unfortunately also professional lasers seem guns and this could create problems, particularly in customs :D
LowpowerLaser.gif

a professional low power CO2 lasers: portable, battery operatable.

vk2fro

Like the first one better - looks more home made, and um... meaner :)

I still play with that Starwars gun from time to time. The 18650 cells are still a problem because they don't like the 12 AMP load !!!

HMike

Arayan

I still play with that Starwars gun from time to time.
For me is a very beautifull portable laser :) I just wanted ask to you and to other expert members, if you have any advice for me...

Arayan

The application is called "LIBS". Laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy is a laser-based technique that can provide nonintrusive, qualitative and quantitative measurement of metals in various test environments. LIBS is an emission-type technology that has been successftily applied to gas, liquid, and solid samples. The major advantages of LIBS compared to other analytical techniques is that no time-consuming sample preparation is necessary. LIBS uses the plasma generated by a high-energy laser beam to prepare and excite the sample in one step. It has the ability to perform multielement real-time analysis.

Get yourself a SSY-1 with a working q-switch, small q-switched yag lasers are the most common type used for libs.

Arayan

Get yourself a SSY-1 with a working q-switch, small q-switched yag lasers are the most common type used for libs.
Yes, you're right, but since the laser is used to me also for other applications I'd rather have one with a continuous beam and not with a pulsed one. If there is anyone willing to help me I prefer to pay an enthusiast like an experienced member of this community rather than a company that speculates on these objects.