Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Poof

viking

Ok... so I believe I know what happened... but I would like to know what you think happened... I have a microboost driver set at 1.7a with an M140 diode... and just because I am still waiting on my battery to arrive, and just to test out the new diode... I attached 3AA batteries. I ran it for around 30 seconds before I heard "POP". I immediately switched off power and noticed that one of the batterie's end cap popped open and a green liquid was oozing out...
:can:

Blord

Did you hooked something to the driver output ? The boost drivers mustn't run without a test load or a diode.

If you ran it through the driver you should be ok. Sounds like you exceeded the max current the batteries could handle. Did you also have the diode in a module or better still a heat sink?

Edit: Blord was asking if you ran the diode directly off the batteries (ie by passed the driver) or whether you ran the diode through the driver.

Last edited:

viking

The diode was in a module placed into an aluminum heatsink with thermal paste. Thats what I believe happened... the current hungry driver taxed the poor AA batteries beyond their capability...
lol! so much to learn with this new obsession of mine!:whistle:

Blord

You already hooked up to the diode. I misread you are waiting for the new battery and not the new diode. :)

viking

Yeah, that's another thing I'm trying to learn... being more specific... ;) Yes, I had the M140 diode attached to the microboost driver which is set at 1.7a. I had the driver connected to 3AA batteries. Thanx for your replies! :p

Any pics? ;)

Also, did you notice that the batteries got hot?

If not, it might not have been that the batteries were heavily stressed. Defective, perhaps?

Cheers! :beer:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Do you any pictures of the batteries/setup? I have never had a green liquid come out of any of my batteries before. :eek: Unfortunately a couple days ago I had 3 D batteries burst and spill a light brown goo everywhere. Got all over my hands and stained a carpet. :mad: They were just normal generic alkaline batteries though.

Last edited:
I thought this was a gay Thread from the title....:eek:
IIRC in the UK a Poof is a homosexual....:crackup::crackup:

NVM.... carry on..:beer:

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

viking

So I made a quick video... of me doing a current measurement... The heatsink is barely warm, the batteries are cool to the touch... however, the diode goes into blink mode after a very short time... I am using 3 alkaline D batteries. :shhh:(I know.... I know... I am still waiting on my good battery...)

So what do you think is causing the diode to go into blink mode? It has to be the batteries... right?

Laser Current Test - YouTube

Last edited: