Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

POLL: has Wicked REALLY cleaned up their act for 2010?

Has WickedLasers REALLY cleaned up their act for 2010?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cmak

WL made a promise in '09 saying that they would "Clean up their act" (not a direct quote, though) by slashing prices, giving accurate information, and selling lasers at least up-to-spec. Not to mention they introduced a plethora of exciting new models for 2010 (well, exciting for SOME... to be fair). The question is, from what you have seen so far, has Wicked Lasers REALLY cleaned up their act for the new decade? Vote now and share your thoughts!

:beer:

Well, I had a lot of early excitement, and I did get two real good units, I also had pretty good experiences a long time before with the Core lasers, that I bought over a couple of dozen of, but, late last year, I also was offered a partner deal to inspect and relay third party lasers, (from an OEM), by WL, a deal I was not the one originating, and that deal was withdrawn, so, it makes me wonder how long the good times will roll w/ WL? -Glenn

When Steve first contacted me for a reviewer, I didn't know who he is. The Beta unit he sent was SUPER but he thought from my comments to him that it needed a little more design work. I returned it to him at my cost and am waiting presently for the replacement unit to make a full review of the final design. The wait is getting a bit drawn out but he says it will come.
He did send to me an EvoPro for my efforts and it puts out a good beam at 141 mW.
Guess I can't complain -- So far, I'm the only +1 vote.

HMike

Last edited:

cmak

Going by what I've heard and read about so far (as well as my detailed research into their new 2010 lineup and prices and such), I think that so far they have been living up to their promise. My vote was that they followed through with their promise, but I was very close to choosing Option 3 (not enough time has passed in order to make a judgement). Either way, only time can show their true colors. I hope for the best!

peace
-cmak

I tested two lasers from Wicked, a 200mW Spyder I pro and a 1W lab module. Both lasers were well-built and stable, but there are some serious cons:

On the Spyder, the safety key mechanism is defective and causes the laser to lose power frequently. You have to fiddle with it to get full power back. Very annoying. Also, the laser costs ~1000, which is a lot for a 200mW portable IMO.

The Reference Series lab module is awesome. It produces 1.2W, it's stable and it puts on a hell of a laser show. It's manufactured by CNI which is a good thing, they are known for quality. So what's the con? It only supports TTL modulation and it costs $4000! That's just crazy when a brand new CNI 1W laser with analog modulation from lasershowparts.com costs less than $1500.

I can't pick an option in this poll, however, because the questions are loaded. I'm leaning towards option number two, but I feel I should state that they have made a commitment to selling high-quality lasers, albeit at high retail prices. I can't say they are the "same scammers they were from the start" because both lasers I tested were well manufactured, over spec, and very stable.

I'm neutral but optimistic.

I always used to say that Wicked proved that it was in fact possible to polish a turd. Hopefully, those polished, pretty lasers aren't turds anymore.

Grix

Their units have improved, but their price is still way too high.

cmak

I'm neutral but optimistic.

I always used to say that Wicked proved that it was in fact possible to polish a turd. Hopefully, those polished, pretty lasers aren't turds anymore.

haha well said :beer:

(IMHO).. WL tried to buy their rep with LPF by handing out free lasers to the veterans. when i first came here WL was a joke. now it seems like a lot of people are kissing up to them in order to get a free laser to "review". I lost respect for WL when i bought a 200$ laser and when the cheepy button broke, they pretty much told me to go Fmyself because it was clearly in the warranty that they would NOT be fixing their cheaply constructed buttons. whats the point of a warranty if you wont honor it?
:toilet:

I felt ripped off

Were you asked to review one of their 2010 Lasers....:thinking:

The SPYDER I that I got for review was way over spec but
did have some issues with the Safety Interlock quality and
functionality..
Other than that... the weight and quality of the was top
notch...
Still I think it is too early to make a decision on this poll...:cool:

Jerry

Personally, I think that only time will tell. To say anything now is futile, all I know is that 3 months of on-spec lasers certainly doesn't cement a reputation.

beep

I recently purchased a Spyder III Pro 100mW green.
I also just received my Optotronics 150mW green pen.

I am very satisfied with the WL purchase. I have not ordered from them before, but compared to my new Optotronics, it seems to be just fine.
The Opto pen is ok, but I just used Energizer rechargeables and they are rated at 1.2V, verse recommended 1.5V Alkaline. I need to test it with decent batteries to see how it really compares with the WL.

Opto pen came with note that it was rated at 155mW, WL came with sheet that said 134mW. I wish I had an LPM to verify this.

Man this hobby is expensive, using part of tax refund for my items.

I am currently waiting on my order from O-Like.
beep

I recently purchased a Spyder III Pro 100mW green.
I also just received my Optotronics 150mW green pen.

I am very satisfied with the WL purchase. I have not ordered from them before, but compared to my new Optotronics, it seems to be just fine.
The Opto pen is ok, but I just used Energizer rechargeables and they are rated at 1.2V, verse recommended 1.5V Alkaline. I need to test it with decent batteries to see how it really compares with the WL.

Opto pen came with note that it was rated at 155mW, WL came with sheet that said 134mW. I wish I had an LPM to verify this.

Man this hobby is expensive, using part of tax refund for my items.

I am currently waiting on my order from O-Like.
beep

Yeah... an LPM would come in handy...

No use buying nails if you don't have a hammer...
Even a 200mW HLPM II would allow you to measure those Lasers...

Jerry

cmak

No use buying nails if you don't have a hammer...
indeed

well have you at least run some "poor man's" measurements yet?

peace
-cmak