Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Poll: For the Community Designed Focus Knob - Diameter

What is the optimal width?

• 16mm - (Fits the most, including Pocket Mini / CR2)

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • 19mm - (Fits fewer, but still fits the Aurora/Survival Laser)

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • 22mm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 24mm - (Fits the fewest, but still fits the guidesman)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rhd

NOTE BEFORE YOU VOTE!
** For some reason, the forum won't let me edit the poll after the fact (even though nobody has voted yet) **
So - for the 19mm option, assume that it actually includes an indented "lip" so that it would actually still fit everything the 16mm can fit. See here:

32303d1303007723-community-focus-knob-group-development-group-buy-take-two-groove.jpg

I thought this might be a good way to make some choices :)

This poll refers back to the thread:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f55/c...oup-development-group-buy-take-two-62604.html

Last edited:

so far so good 19mm with lip seems to be "overwhelmingly" popular...hahaha Jk only 5 votes so far.

before you place your order you should also check with Pontiac and price shop to get the best deal.

yea, emachineshop is only practical if you order LOTS. Since they CNC those suckers, the set up time is what you pay for. once everything is set up, push of a button, turn of a knob and a bazillion units come out.

Last edited:
before you place your order you should also check with Pontiac and price shop to get the best deal.

I'm not sure but didn't Flaminpyro and JayRob also offer these
type of focus rings...:thinking::thinking:
Maybe comparing prices would be beneficial...

Jerry

FP and jayrob both offer focus adapters which btw are awesome (i have 2 of FP's 30cal style.)

but the endeavor here would be to create a fast, cheap, and BETTER focus knob to directly replace the aixiz ones. the idea product would be 2-3 dollars each, would be simple enough to leave folks wanting custom knobs, but still be much much better than the aixiz.

anselm

would be simple enough to leave folks wanting custom knobs,
THAT idea apparently went out the window though.... :whistle:
I proposed a very simple designed, but people seem to want a detailed and flashy design.:undecided:

rhd

THAT idea apparently went out the window though.... :whistle:
I proposed a very simple designed, but people seem to want a detailed and flashy design.:undecided:

Lol - well so far, adding a bit of style hasn't actually done much of anything to the quoted price. We started at ~$2.50 for a basic boxy design, and with all of the added detail, my design is still just at ~$2.80. Plus, some of that detail is functional (like adding a bottom lip so that the knob works on smaller hosts).

Lol - well so far, adding a bit of style hasn't actually done much of anything to the quoted price. We started at ~$2.50 for a basic boxy design, and with all of the added detail, my design is still just at ~$2.80. Plus, some of that detail is functional (like adding a bottom lip so that the knob works on smaller hosts).

well, I get what anselm is saying though, as people have been trying to get "too" creative with the designs. They dont understand that such small details are not going to happen. Also, the aixiz knob is extemely plain, so anything over that is much appreciated...no need for biohazard symbols or many many rings within the knob, etc, etc.

A lip is a must, a beveled outter edge for style, and 19mm diameter, and thats about as much as i could want. The rest is just a bonus as far as im concerned.

Last edited:

rhd

Agreed - having said that though, I think my design is a happy medium, no?

dude, in my mind, your design is already what im using to imagine how its gonna look on my lasers. Yours has that simple yet functional look, but still cool enough to make the stock aixiz knobs go hide.

anselm

I think my design is a happy medium, no?
Make it all solid and I'll agree, too.:D:D
j/k, yours is quite fine he way it is, IMHO.

The more detailed the design is, the more personalized and the less mass-appealing it becomes.
Which I thought we tried to avoid here...

The more detailed the design is, the more personalized and the less mass-appealing it becomes.
Which I thought we tried to avoid here...

OMG man i love you for that!! Thats the words i've been trying to sum up but couldnt quite figure out how to put it. you hit the nail right on the head.

all said though, rhd's design is pretty subtle compared to all the other people's "designs".
I like it.

LaZeRz

Cant wait to see these :D

Look out Aixiz people are starting to make their own lenses, modules and focus adapters :D

i really like how its bigger then a standars aixiz so i dont have to burn my fingers off

mass produced larger then aixiz focus nobs FTW :)