Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

POLL: Change section to 405nm ONLY

Should the "Blu-Ray & Violet Lasers" section of LPF be changed to BR (405nm) only?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cmak

Blu-Ray Lasers (405nm DDI) are one of the most important topics on LPF. They are one of (if not THE) most popular DIY lasers users build here, and in my opinion deserve their own (properly named) section on this forum :wave:. Currently they do not have such a section, as the closest thing to it is the section this thread is posted in. The title is "Blu-Ray & Violet Lasers"; this could apply to 435nm, 442nm, 447nm, and more. While lasers with those wavelengths of violet also have a place here at LPF, I do believe that they should be separated from 405nm DDI Blu-Ray.

The proposition is to change the name of this section of the forum from "Blu-Ray & Violet Lasers" to "Blu-Ray (405nm) Lasers", or something of that general sense, and then instead of creating a new section for non-BluRay Violet Lasers, those discussions would belong in the "Blue, Yellow, & Other-Colored Lasers" section. Once again, this is NOT about creating an additional section!

Vote now and feel free to share your comments, views, and opinions! :beer:

peace & thanks
-cmak

Last edited:

Ok, then by this logic, lets have a different section for every nm laser ever made?

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I don't know, it's not like there are many discussions about 435nm, 442nm, 447nm, etc. I could understand having separate sections if 405 bluray discussions were bieng pushed aside or fighting for space with other violet threads, but that really isn't happening. This section is almost all bluray , so I don't see the need to add another board for something that is almost never talked about.

I think the "bluray" part should be dropped.

Also, I don't expect that the ~440nm lasers would be posted here anyway. Personally, I think they look more of a really deep blue than true violet.

cmak

there is no question of adding another board...

this would simply be renamed to "Blu-Ray 405nm Lasers" and all other Violet lasers and discussions would go in the "Blue, Yellow, & Other-Colored Lasers" board. Also I really feel that the aforementioned board should be separated into "Blue & Yellow Lasers" and "IR, UV, & Other-Colored Lasers".

As you have probably guessed by now, I'm a tad perfectionistic. Thanks for sharing your opinion!

peace & thanks
-cmak

p.s. nice collection, 2007Rev! Can't wait to see the pics/review on the CNI 473!

I don't believe a new section is requird maby a name change to the one now in use but I would even vote on that for a name change ?

cmak

I don't believe a new section is requird maby a name change to the one now in use but I would even vote on that for a name change ?

that's exactly what I'm saying. :)

This thread/poll is not about making a new section! It would simply change the name of this one, and direct all other (non 405nm Blu-Ray) discussions to the "Blue, Yellow, & Other-Colored Lasers" section.

Should I edit the OP and make this clearer?

peace
-cmak

Not really, rather than worrying about changing things, I'd vote that you should enjoy the forum.

Blu-Ray Lasers (405nm DDI) are one of the most important topics on LPF. They are one of (if not THE) most popular DIY lasers users build here, and in my opinion deserve their own (properly named) section on this forum :wave:. Currently they do not have such a section, as the closest thing to it is the section this thread is posted in. The title is "Blu-Ray & Violet Lasers"; this could apply to 435nm, 442nm, 447nm, and more. While lasers with those wavelengths of violet also have a place here at LPF, I do believe that they should be separated from 405nm DDI Blu-Ray.

The proposition is to change the name of this section of the forum from "Blu-Ray & Violet Lasers" to "Blu-Ray (405nm) Lasers", or something of that general sense, and then instead of creating a new section for non-BluRay Violet Lasers, those discussions would belong in the "Blue, Yellow, & Other-Colored Lasers" section. Once again, this is NOT about creating an additional section!

Vote now and feel free to share your comments, views, and opinions! :beer:

peace & thanks
-cmak

No reason to change the Board Title... it effectively describes the
content.. IMO

BTW what is DDI... you quote above...:thinking:

Jerry

no offense, but come on, that's just being picky.

Not really. I'd like it if the section were called "Blu-Ray" instead of "Blu-Ray & Violet".

If it were changed to "Blu-Ray & Ultraviolet lasers" then the issue would be fixed and we would cover a wider wavelength range. Blu-Ray and Violet is kind of redundant.

There has been no confusion or frustration about this before...

besides... my 12X lases at 408nm!