Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Politics and General Debates Thread

RedCowboy

Since Twitter and Facebook are private companies you have no first amendment rights to post there. You do have to abide by their rules and regs. I suppose Trump can go to the new trash heaps in social media, but they don't have to ability to reach as many people as the the two largest ones that removed Trump. Being private companies they have the right to administer their rules and regulations as they see fit.

You can't deny someone a telephone because you don't like what they talk about, a public utility is typically regulated and today social media is pretty much a de-facto public utility, discrimination should not be allowed......If someone is breaking the law on a telephone or chat then that is something for the proper authority to deal with so that the accused can have due process, that said there will be lawsuits.

What if white conservatives owned twitter and banned Obama because they didn't like what he said ???? Try to be honest if you can.

Last edited:

Unown (WILD)

You're just cherry picking information. You missed his points of what I mentioned above that being civil is impossible if not everyone is searching for truth or are pushing their own agenda. It can only be civil if that criteria is met.
You have to understand that this is the internet and as stated by many others it has been down right pleasant here compared to other places. Right now you're trying to tell us to do things your way because you don't like how it has been going on here for a long time in this thread.
But I understand your frustration. I used to be bothered by this thread but I stopped letting my personal feelings bother me and now I can post here freely without losing sleep over it.

Seoul_lasers

You're just cherry picking information. You missed his points of what I mentioned above that being civil is impossible if not everyone is searching for truth or are pushing their own agenda. It can only be civil if that criteria is met.
You have to understand that this is the internet and as stated by many others it has been down right pleasant here compared to other places. Right now you're trying to tell us to do things your way because you don't like how it has been going on here for a long time in this thread.
But I understand your frustration. I used to be bothered by this thread but I stopped letting my personal feelings bother me and now I can post here freely without losing sleep over it.
To what am I cherry picking? Everyone pushes their own agenda and we all have our own biases. That wasn't the point of explaining civil discussion. The name calling needs to stop that's my point regardless of personal political views.

I am not Jordan Peterson. I don't understand your opening line.

Seoul_lasers

You can't deny someone a telephone because you don't like what they talk about, a public utility is typically regulated and today social media is pretty much a de-facto public utility, discrimination should not be allowed......If someone is breaking the law on a telephone or chat then that is something for the proper authority to deal with so that the accused can have due process, that said there will be lawsuits.

What if white conservatives owned twitter and banned Obama because they didn't like what he said ???? Try to be honest if you can.
You nailed this! This is exactly what JP was talking about and I 100% agree with you on censorship. Where does it end?

Ears and Eggs

Super Moderator
Staff member

Agree 100%, something has to be done there. I understand that it's private and therefore the same protection doesn't apply as it would to government, but these social networks and big tech have SOOOO much influence and power over society now that some level of free speech protection has to be required. I don't know what is legally possible, but the laws regarding freedom of speech were written long before social media even existed and no one could have envisioned how much power these few corporations could have over information. Facebook or Twitter is not at all comparable to some small local newspaper.

paul1598419

Twitter and Facebook are not public utilities. They are private companies that have rules and regulations one must adhere to if one wishes to use them. You can use a social media that doesn't have any rules or regulations if you intend to abuse them to lie about what is actually going on. I suspect that is what Trump will do now.

Unown (WILD)

So what's going to happen now that Biden will be president? Is Kamela going to murder him and take over? Is china going to own the US?

Seoul_lasers

To what am I cherry picking? Everyone pushes their own agenda and we all have our own biases. That wasn't the point of explaining civil discussion. The name calling needs to stop that's my point regardless of personal political views.

I am not Jordan Peterson. I don't understand your opening line.

When there is intelligence and no inherent animosity involved, then good discussions can be had.
A debate is to find out "what" is right. NOT, "Who" is right.

- However when I look at the comments.....

Seoul_lasers

When there is intelligence and no inherent animosity involved, then good discussions can be had.
A debate is to find out "what" is right. NOT, "Who" is right.

- However when I look at the comments.....

Lifetime17

Hi,
The Antifa and the rest of the crap are the Democrats war babies. Nothing will happen to them as long as the Dems are in control.
Lock n Load America.
Rich:)