Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Police Helicopters

Hey guys,

Today I just received my LFP 445nm 1w blue laser and tested it for the first time in my back yard! First, I have to say it looks absolutely amazing! Beautiful beam and a huge eye magnet (I'll get to that).
I have yet to do a review on it but it seems it may start to become difficult to do so pretty soon. Outdoors at least.
So after shining my new laser outside for around 3-6 minutes, I decide to go in and put my laser away for the night.
Next thing I know, I hear police helicopters flying directly over our neighborhood for the next 5-8 minutes.
And I know the laser beam is bright enough to be seen from the side for quite a distance as well.
Didn't know it would be visible enough to freak people out though.
I would use it in a big field a short bike ride from my location but police helicopters can easily follow me back home from above after everyone freaks out and calls 911.
But I know I have done nothing wrong and I am constantly looking out for aircraft (even though there are no flight paths over me :crackup:).
Well, just wanted to share my first unusual first experience with a big laser.

How do you know it was a police helicopter? How do you know it had anything to do with you? Generally speaking, people don't care as long as you're not causing trouble.

Yea....those moments cant get pretty scary. Once was shinning a greenie at night, just looking how amazing the beam was and saw a passenger jet fly by! I immediately directed the beam away from where it was flying, and it's all good! :)

-Alex

And I know the laser beam is bright enough to be seen from the side for quite a distance as well.

A one watt 445 really doesn't have much visibility off axis out doors unless you are sufficiently viewing it on axis. Only on really humid nights does the beam stand out, and even then so it falls off dramatically after a few hundred feet (off axis). You simply aren't generating enough photons to fill the space around the laser beam. Even 5-20watt greens have trouble outside without a lot of haze generation. Biggest way to get into trouble outdoors is shine it on reflective traffic signs, etc. Otherwise, a plane at 32k feet won't see your beam unless you shine it directly at the cockpit.

Dont shine on traffic signs you could get a specular reflection. 1 W or even half that in the eye wont be amusing.:beer:

How do you know it was a police helicopter? How do you know it had anything to do with you? Generally speaking, people don't care as long as you're not causing trouble.

I know it was a police helicopter because I have seen them in our area a few times before. (Usually when school gets out). And it may be that Post hoc ergo propter hoc thing as well but seemed interesting how it came over right after I used my laser for the first time.
But they seem to patrol our particular neighborhood from time to time.
The funny thing is that we don't live in a rough part of town and just happen to be in a fairly nice area.
We ARE pretty close to a high school though.

Last edited:
1W laser is enough to make a very visible beam when you point it in the sky, the best thing is to not do that unless you in a forest maybe or so to not draw attention to yourself.

1W laser is enough to make a very visible beam when you point it in the sky, the best thing is to not do that unless you in a forest maybe or so to not draw attention to yourself.

Yea I experimented with that, I propped up my laser facing straight up and walked a bit to see the beam from the side. It is not close to as bright as when standing where the laser is emitting but it is still noticeable. Seems slightly brighter than my 5mW green laser when looking down the beam. I plan on taking some pictures later. (assuming the camera will pick it up).

Sta

Yea I experimented with that, I propped up my laser facing straight up and walked a bit to see the beam from the side. It is not close to as bright as when standing where the laser is emitting but it is still noticeable. Seems slightly brighter than my 5mW green laser when looking down the beam. I plan on taking some pictures later. (assuming the camera will pick it up).
Are you sure your 5mW 532 is 5mW? I have a 50mW 532 and a damaged/semi-broken 1W 445 and the 445 still is markedly brighter than the 532.

Are you sure your 5mW 532 is 5mW? I have a 50mW 532 and a damaged/semi-broken 1W 445 and the 445 still is markedly brighter than the 532.

Yes, a 1W blue would be much brighter than 5mW by a long range.
Here's what I meant,
My 1w blue laser is pointing straight up. When standing close to it, it is incredibly bright. Now walk away from the laser source for about a hundred feet. Next, look at the laser beam from the side as it reaches towards the heavens. The light of the glowing blue beam will have dissipated and become much less visible when standing from afar. The brightness of the beam from this point seems to be comparable to that of a 5mW green laser when looking directly down the beam.
Sorry for the confusion, hope this helped clear that up. :yh: