Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

pointers banded ?

Just got a phone call, that the feds have banded pointers. Anyone hear of this? I can't find anything on the web/ news services so I think it's bs.
ED

Pointers? What type exactly, banning "pointers" is a very vague term. Are they banning anything which is a pen-style shaped? Anything that uses bats and has a momentary switch?

Try and find out more information if you can :)

-Alex

^^That looks like it covers it.
I had just gotten a phone call from a non laser person and all they said was that they saw on TV that they were banded and as I couldn't find any thing on the FDA web site, I knew if true someone here would know the truth. Thanks guys.
Ed

I'm fine with banding pointers. then we can track their migration routes and discover their breeding colonies. good idea.:crackup:

Last edited:
Only thing I read about this was in may, US: FDA proposes defacto ban on selling pointers, handhelds above 5 milliwatts | Bans & Restrictions, Laws, Ways to reduce incidents | LaserPointerSafety.com, which only seems to make them illegal to sell. Also just a proposal, it probably wouldn't go into effect so soon.
That's disturbing. Only seems to make them illegal to sell. That will put the kabash on a large percentage of persons that want a handheld over 5mw. Most people I think don't want to build them.

^^That looks like it covers it.
I had just gotten a phone call from a non laser person and all they said was that they saw on TV that they were banded [banned] and as I couldn't find any thing on the FDA web site, I knew if true someone here would know the truth. Thanks guys.
Ed