Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Point and shot laser

Hello,

I would like to build/buy a power laser (let'say, at least 500mW). I have a couple of questions:
  • which color gives the best ratio: burning power vs price?
  • is it possible to build a "point and shot" laser that is, a laser which points at a very low power (i.e. 10mW) then, pressing another button, shots at full power? It would be even better to have a double pressing button like the one of reflex cameras (low pressure points, strong pressure shots).

Thanks in advance for your attention. :)

Things

445nm has the the best price/power ratio.

It is possible to do what you're saying, however as far as I'm aware no one has done such a thing yet. It could however be quite dangerous, ie someone picking it up and seeing it's not all that bright, then copping it full power in the face. You'd have to be extremely careful with it's use.

445nm has the the best price/power ratio.

It is possible to do what you're saying, however as far as I'm aware no one has done such a thing yet. It could however be quite dangerous, ie someone picking it up and seeing it's not all that bright, then copping it full power in the face. You'd have to be extremely careful with it's use.

In my opinion it is even safer because, before activate the full power beam, you can see where the light is going and if there are unwanted reflections.
Anyway, any laser is dangerous if handled by unaware person :)

Rifter

You are going to have an issue finding a diode that will turn out 500mw as well as 10mw. If you do though make sure and post back im interested in this.

Don't the WickedLasers Spyder series have multiple power levels?

It has 4 different power levels. The regular low power & high power, and the low power & high power with the "training" lens which reduces the power by 80%.

-Alex