Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pman is nuts (warning LOTS of pics)

Pman

So, I had a couple days when I wasn't feeling as bad and used them to build everything I had again into various tins and here's the result with many pics showing how I did it. This isn't really a review but I needed a place to post them all as there are 405nm, 532nm, 660nm and a single 685nm.

First remove any candy/mints and eat (if candy):
1q3PWB.jpg

QrOIIK.jpg

boej3N.jpg

I was going to use the little driver shown but it had issues. All holes in anything I made using a dremel which is not easy. Have to take your time to make circles and rectangles on thin metal without ripping through it or making any marks:
TGF16s.jpg

9RU89q.jpg

vtgWBp.jpg

Ho3ZIb.jpg

SigFIF.jpg

9OnTuP.jpg

GdpEql.jpg

Wired with driver. I purposely wire everything so I can easily change batteries or pull the driver. The module is epoxied in place though so I can adjust the focus. 200mW LPC-826 with focus with a single 10440:
L5TgrV.jpg

Gf6xe4.jpg

VarLrK.jpg

6QKiR9.jpg

Switched the driver to an AixiZ when it was having issues changing from lo/hi/strobe:
KbjvL3.jpg

uvscG1.jpg

Here's a little tin used to hold the weights for my Logitech mouse with a 102mW 532nm using a 10440:
Rx1qML.jpg

Altoids spearmint with a couple AA just because there's so much room even though I could have used a 10440 or 14500. 85mW 532nm:
VRhmLd.jpg

IUulPk.jpg

Another pic of my dirty carpet;):
7yUrcZ.jpg

bUlqoj.jpg

PUR mints tin (very small) with a 20mW 685nm and LiFePO4. Only tin that wasn't in new like condition:
fR58DB.jpg

rnKlKi.jpg

Only one I didn't do as good a job with cutting the switch opening:(
59LUUP.jpg

#5/#6 and #7
This is a (4) AA battery holder with built in switch that I modified:
mArcx2.jpg

This side has a little screw to keep the battery cover from moving:
YyQwok.jpg

You open it up and it's set up for (4) AA in series. There's a small cover at the top that hides the switches and connections that has to be removed:
tgBtQO.jpg

Removed the cover:
Svya4W.jpg

Removed parts I am not going to need. Going to be wired for (2) 14500 as the AixiZ driver needs the voltage:
t8HRTf.jpg

Pressed the diodes and attached the drivers after setting them properly:
MRCE8X.jpg

One issue with the AixiZ driver is it is too long for the back cover to fit so you have to remove the back section :
BdR8bg.jpg

Yup, both an 660nm LPC-826 and a blu-ray 150mW 405nm with color coordinated focus knobs:D:
AaSc5I.jpg

One hole made:
r8740Y.jpg

2 holes:
bi1KEt.jpg

Switch holes made:
KP3FB1.jpg

Switches and modules in place wired separately from the box switch. Wiring is (2) 14500 for 8.4V through the switch on the box and then to each individual switch for the 2 modules. Allows both to come on at the same time or either switched on/off. You can see in this pic how the AixiZ drivers stick out the ends of the module and thus why I have to remove the back end:
BSLfsZ.jpg

kK5Obr.jpg

Yes I put the screw in after this shot:
jYK8oU.jpg

cSrKVJ.jpg

150mW 405nm blu-ray and 250mW 660nm LPC-826
lMYqW1.jpg

Here's a pic with another I had made on the left that has a 150mW 405nm blu-ray in it wired for (2) 10440 in series with an AixiZ driver that has a built in switch on the box:
dvrCbH.jpg

Uhuh, you guessed it, #8/#9/#10:
MYNTZ! tin wired for an LPC-826, 532nm and blu-ray. The battery holder is a (3) AAA that was rewired for a single 10440 to the 532nm and (2) 10440 in series to the 405nm and 660nm. Each has it's own switch so anything can be turned on/off individually. I had to remove the 532nm driver and wire it separate back to it as it made the module too long to fit the battery holder:
vZgh5F.jpg

7yEtAz.jpg

xR3l9f.jpg

Didn't take a pic of it but the stickers for the diodes and outputs are on the inside of the tin on the lid and read:
270mW 660nm LPC-826, 85mW 532nm and 150mW 405nm blu-ray
YfQBcn.jpg

All together now:
eV5Hkv.jpg

sdpg7m.jpg

2A2dCZ.jpg

Individual pics:
685nm:
y4dAdn.jpg

660nm:
GH19q4.jpg

685nm and 660nm just to compare:
R5zc38.jpg

532nm:
5Zttpc.jpg

405nm:
1REVT4.jpg

The 405nm and 660nm box:
Ol8fl4.jpg

The 405nm/532nm/660nm tin (sorry, the 405nm on the right side is very washed out next to the 532nm:( Looks better in person;)
Pyh2Lv.jpg

All together now looking at about 16 hours of work:
Jr0LiQ.jpg

Total of 1,462mW or 1.462W;) If you look carefully you can see all 10 on:
FzZ0pY.jpg

Last edited:

Great stuff, well done mate.
Tried to +rep you but can't, it doesn't let me again.

Love these builds and great beam shots too.

Cheers

Pman

Dangit, I accidentally used nM instead of the proper nm for the wavelengths when I printed the labels for them:( Oh well, it will only take 15 minutes to redo them.
Thanks peoples of earth.
These are not my first with tins and battery holders although there are unique ones here that no one else has. I probably have at least 10 I had already done. Maybe I'll dig them out and take a pic with all of them but no way I'm going to turn on 20+ at the same time.
I do have a few pics of a couple of 405nm cheapo pens I had ordered from one of the usual Ebay sellers that ship from the US that turned out to be different from all the ones I had received from him before as far as the lens is concerned that make it a bit more of a pain to make them fully focus-able.
They are easy to get the head off and easy to adjust the lens but when you take the lens holder out the plastic lens isn't glued to it and this makes it a real pain in the butt to get back in. Just have to glue it in the holder but make sure it is the correct way first:
X9isEi.jpg

The plastic lens sits inside the lens holder and will fall right out unless you glue it in:
Ccc5RU.jpg

SjoYVI.jpg

They came in at 75 and 85mW so are still nasty little units and can even light my white tipped matches no problem;)

Of course all the 660 and 405nm in the pics above are 3 times stronger than a match head needs to light;)

Last edited:
Very impressive work Pman :gj::kewlpics: +rep for posting all that, but now I must know, how do you like your Kenmore Washer? And is it a top load or a front load? :crackup:

Alan

GSS

This was just to cool, scrolling down to eventually see the beam pics was a killer but took my time watching the builds, I get a kick out of the pure peppermint tin, mints made in Canada box made in China.:beer:......sorry tin made in China

Last edited:

Pman

Ha, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to investigate and comment on the paperwork underneath lol
I had opened up the manual on it to figure out what was wrong and find the part number I needed. Found out it is a VERY common problem for the Dog Agitator (clutch) plastic pieces to wear out and bought 4 sets of 4 (only needed 4) for about $10 on Amazon. You likely have this issue if you peak inside the washer and the clothes are not being agitated back and forth. Basically h ave the same type issue with a small gas generator on the pull start.
It's a 10 year old washer and I can imagine some repair person coming out and ripping me off. When I was doing commercial/Industrial HVAC-R (mostly refrigeration) I basically learned how to figure out and fix most anything like this so it comes in real handy to save $. In other words I'm very good at troubleshooting and figuring out ways to do things. I was the guy sent when others couldn't figure out an issue. Absolutely refused to give up and would just keep going til I figured out the problem.
Thanks everyone:)

Last edited:
Great thread. You are so right about the tin and dremel. It creates some nasty edges until they get filed down. Hate it when the tool bit "chatters" and snaps your tool bit off :(
Hey, fun stuff you built and posted, thanks!! :) :D

Am trying to figure out are you shining the laser at a TV
:pop:

Last edited:

Pman

Thanks LC and to Alien I am shining them at my main home theater projector screen (no damage). You can probably make out some of the center channels (there are 9 of them):D My main home theatre system kind of turned into this out of control project to see how insane I could make it. It's kind of like sitting inside someones very loud car sound system except all frequencies are insanely loud and not just the bass that is pretty amazing. Total speaker count is somewhere just over 40 plus at least 19 amps. I also have a GITD screen that I can pull down in front of it to play with 405nm lasers:) This is the danger of Pete getting into any hobby. Good thing the $ has dried up for that kind of stuff. The truth is now I pretty much watch most things up in our bedroom on that system so that I can Lay in bed with heat on my side. Barely use any of the other systems anymore (yeah, basically every room has a system except for the bathrooms). Kind of hard to explain without pics but it's also kind of embarrassing like the # of lasers I own although the reason why there are so many systems is when my kids were younger we used to have the youth groups over from church (all ages) and it was pretty crazy with so much going on all over the house.

Last edited:
These are awesome Pete! You sure have a knack for the unusual builds. I love the RGB one the best. How many days did you work on these builds? plus 2 for you.

HA! nice! always with the tins.. I think you need to start cramming PBS cubes in there now!

SRY cant rep

Last edited:

Pman

Thanks all again.
To answer how long they took it was about 2 days of 8 or so hours each I believe. I still probably have <10 tins with nothing to put in them yet. Ran out of small switches also unless I steal some from a few 2 AAA cell battery boxes. Those are too small to fit a regular size module in so no builds from those battery boxes.
I've never tried to build with 2 AAAA cells that you can get a bunch of from a 9V battery as their capacity has to make it not worthwhile.
Do have a couple more 35mW 685nm diodes coming as I keep blowing them trying to push them. Think I have my 16x blu coming in a sled today though. Hopefully I have a driver on me that can push it over the 1W mark as I already have a few set at a more conservative 800mW. I'm not putting it in a tin;)
Actually have a few big hosts as in maglight type but they seem like big overkill for a beam that doesn't show well. Do have a purple 501b I could use though as a 405nm needs less than an amp. Have a few other possible flashlight hosts but not custom heat-sinks for them unless a 501b will fit. Would be pretty crazy to stick it in a pen host with that much burning capability. Wonder if anyone has a 1W+ 405nm pen? Probably not as you would like some run time on something like that.