Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Please help, i want to build a green laser!

Spankz

Note: I apologise for the huge image!

I have been playing with my <5mw laser for a while now then I wondered if there were lasers that are so powerful that you can see the beam. With a bit of research i found that it was the green laser!

Unfortunately, the price of beautiful babies like the arctic is out of my range so I figured I'd like to build one myself.

Looking through my old stuff, I found an LED Flashlight and a Laser pointer with no batteries and no indication of power.
(Image deleted)

One of the first videos I found was this:

YouTube - 9 LED Mini Flashlight 250mw RED Laser Tutorial

I was elated when I noticed the flashlight he used was the same as mine but unfortunately he didn't really give much details in the video, also I'm interested in Green laser.

So I came here and read a lot of useful posts about drivers/diodes/etc.

What I'd like is to turn my flashlight into an awesome green laser. If possible, I would prefer to use whatever things I might have around the house. At first I thought I could use the diode from my old CD player but apparently only DVD burners can be used. Please I need your expert advice!

Last edited:

Well green will be hard for you unless you buy a premade module. What type of budget are you on.

Morgan

The kits on this site are probably the cheapest around -

Laser Hosts and Laser Kits - Items - OdicForce Lasers Online Shop

They are complete kits so it's a one stop shop and you'll gain a lot of experience for your next build. There are reviews of these kits in the, "Reviews", section. If you want to pull things together yourself then check out the guides in my sig. They should give you most of the clues you need to get going.

(You do need to resize that pic though! 800 x 600 is perfect for the forum. Just delete it, and before you re-upload to whatever host server you use, select the size you need and it should resize it for you. Those sites often have a size selection that is specially for forums.)

Don't forget to introduce yourself in the, "Welcome", section and read all the stickies, rules and FAQs.

Good luck,

M
:)

Yeah man, make sure you tell everyone you are here. I got -322 rep from not introducing myself. Some bad jew jew if you don't, man.

Spankz

Thanks so much guys, those are really helpful information. I'll be getting a 50mW dealextreme green laser tomorrow from a local dealer(saves time as I read that orders from DealExtreme could take months to arrive). I intend to take it apart and replace it with "better" parts.

I am currently browsing the sites mentioned. Looking for a module for the laser.. things I should probably consider is whether the module would fit the host (looks like most module size are 12mm x 54mm), next would be whether or not I need to change any other parts in case a high output producing module could damage the other parts.

The modules are a tad bit pricey but if I'm gonna do this I'm gonna do it right. I'm currently looking at around 100mw range.

Thanks again for the information you guys have provided, my motivation is to see a fantastic beam so that i can point at the stars :) and also the satisfaction of DIY :-D now I'm off to introduce myself in the welcome section.

IsaacT

:tsk:Come on man its not like that. This is a great community, we just like for people to introduce themselves in the welcome section so we can get to know them. :)

Beware that if you're getting one of those green lasers that look like this, they're notoriously hard to get open unless you have some hardwood blocks that can properly grip the head and body to pry them apart.

I would suggest taking a look at what O-like has to offer, especially since you're thinking of busting it open to upgrade. The higher powered bare laser modules can be bought there, and there are some easier-to-work-with hosts there as well. Here's a nice $15 host too.

Last edited:
Ha, I was kidding!! no one here knows sarcasm.. Modules are WAY cheaper from the "aixiz_Lasers" Store on ebay. much more better. I think it was.. Maybe not, but It is worth a look