Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Please, explain the costs of... (Understood)

... green laser modules, of course :D Like the ones DX, o-like and rayfoss sell and all those used in laser pointer pens.
I browsed alibaba.com recently and saw that most merchants sell them as "<5mW" modules, but some offer more power "for clients". So my question is: what modifications make those dirt cheap modules (~$6-7 in retail) rather expensive (up to $150 or more)? Is that just more powerful diodes and crystals inflate prices, or mainly supply and demand working (freaks are rare but everybody wants one :))?

Last edited:

Re: Please, explain the costs of...

Just because two modules look the same, it doesn't mean they have the same insides. There is no way a 5mW module modded to 150mW would preform well (or preform at all). Mostly, they have more powerful pump diodes, and better crystals that won't crack with too much light.

So better pump diode and crystal cost >$100 together?

Here is a lot of 4 1W pump diodes for <$70:
Lot of 4 - 808nm 1000mw 1W burning IR laser diode. USA - eBay (item 270499188724 end time Dec-19-09 23:13:45 PST)

And here is a crystal set "for up to 500mW green output" for ~$30:
GREEN LASER CRYSTAL SET DPSS 808nm 532nm ND:YVO4+KTP - eBay (item 260524338101 end time Dec-25-09 14:38:09 PST)

So looks like the whole thing should cost no more than $60, especially as it is mass produced.

Dude its simple economics. You want better, more powerful toys, you're going to pay for it. Its that simple.

I'm already paying for it, and of course it's economics (which is a quite complex system IMO with lots of ongoing research), I just want to know what makes up the price and was hoping for a more detailed answer.

I would think the laser companies could better answer your question.

Otherwise it's supply and demand. You can buy the parts for anything and build it cheaper. If you're lazy, or you just dont have the skills, then you are going to pay for it. If the price is too high, people wont buy it, so they tailor the selling price to fit the demand. Once the market is set, they all follow suit with slight variances to create competition. Once again, basic economics.

Am I missing the point of your question?

It's just like ANYTHING sold on the open market.......

You can cut corners and get a cheap module, but do not expect it to perform or hold up to the test of time.

You can pay a little more and get a high quality module with nice optics, quality crystals, a well built driver and easy to hook up wiring, but that convenience has a price tag......

If you think you can just wire up a diode and point it at a KTP to get a green laser, well I wish you all the luck in the world with that.........

Hey Vita, how does one get 500+ rep points with 56 posts and rep from 2 people who's own rep points dont add to 10?

500+? All I see "rep power: 6". It was 0 not long ago, so I was surprised to see that too.

Thanks for your answers, BTW. So if I understand it right, profit margins in this business are still relatively high. Anyways, I'd rather pay the asking price, as I'm lazy and not at all good with hardware :whistle:, software is where I'm strong at :)

But I'm sure am waiting for green laser diodes that will hopefully make greenies more accessible and less troublesome.

Assembling a green laser with pump diode, lasing medium and KTP is far more complex, you should fabricate the metal parts (holders) for the crystals and alligning is a pain in the a$$. Trust me, it is easier to buy a finished module and assemble the laser from there.

LOL there's NO WAY that MCA is going to do 500mW reliably even with proper thermal management! The crystal bond area will darken resulting in a runaway and fracture. Perhaps if it were exceedingly efficient but I would not count on it.

Realistically 100mW is what I would expect out of that. I like my lasers to last so I don't believe in suicide runs unless the casualty is planned. ;)