Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Planning a pen build. What kind of pen hosts are available/preferred?

LazyBeam

I have a few of the SF-AW130 (6X Bluray) sleds from the GB coming my way (thanks AMK!) and I'd like to build a pen style pointer with one of them. I have a few questions and although I've searched, I can't seem to find much info on the pen style builds.

Diode/Driver:
After much reading about power versus longevity there seems to be two reccomendations for the SF-AW... 170mA or 189mA. I think I'll stick with running ~175mA and I should be able to get >200mW output with a 405-G-1 lens. A 200mW focusable pen is my goal (yes, duty cycle will be low without a good heatsink). I'm going to use Flexdrive or BoostDrive.

Batteries: This looks like it might be an issue.
10440 batteries look like the only realistic option (3.7V 600mAh) for heavy current draw.
I figure I could run them in parrallel to keep the 3.7-4V and double up the capacity. They should allow good current draw.
Does anyone know if AAA batteries work? Inline they'd only be ~3V but do have about 1000mAh.
Can they sustain current draw for a 200mW Sf-AW?

Host: I have no idea. Who makes a good one?
I'd like it to have a pocket clip and a side button... that's about all I know.
Do many pen style hosts hold an AixiZ Module? Would I be better off machining my own heatsink/module?

chipdouglas

ask member scopeguy20. he might still have some pen host. and you can go with either rckstr or lava. Mine that i got from him uses the rckstr. I bought a complete unit but he might still have some empty pen hosts.

michael

LazyBeam

That jayrob unit is NICE!

After looking at Jayrobs hosts I think I'll go with a custom modified Ultrafire A2 Stainless host.
To make it a pen I'll simply lengthen the center section or add spacer (I have a mill/lathe).
Since I like the pocket clip and the rear clicky is a bonus. I'll just make it long enough for 2X AAA/10440.