Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Planning a build

I know that the Noob like me can be despised on forums, but I assure you that I have done some research already. I know that I would ideally like to run a diode in the 400-410nm range (Blu-Ray). I would also like the host to be somewhat compact as in something pen sized and able to fit 1 or 2 Lithium-ion 10440 cells. I really like what I see in the v5 flexdrive and would most likely use that for a driver. I know that if I were to use 2 lithium-ion batteries at 3.7v each I would want them in parallel setup in stead of series so that my voltage does not go over 6v. If I did not want to adapt them to be in parallel operation I would assume that the rckstr driver would be good because it goes up to 12v safely. I also know that running diodes with continuous wave operation will not yield as much power. This is the diode diagram that I am using as reference. Sharp 406nm diode. I really cant tell whether or not these drivers are CW or pulsed operation. I assume that the flexdrive would be since it is dc-dc. Lastly, more power is better in my opinion so proper optics are a must, but also efficient diodes. I am looking at 8x diodes now, but am I insane to think that I could fit it into such a small host (pen sized) and keep it cool? :thinking:

Thanks in advance!

Paul

HIMNL9

Well, an 8X will probably become hot too quickly, for a pen type host ..... you can get duty cycles of few seconds, without a decent heatsink.

I made some PHR as penhosts, and they work good enough, and when i tried with a 6X (a GGW set at 200mA), it was becoming hot in 20 / 30 seconds of use ..... an 8X maybe need 5 or 10 seconds .....

I guess I was a little optimistic then. I should really plan for the diode first then and after choosing the appropriate heatsink go from there. Ideally it would need to have a duty cycle of at least a minute at a time. From there I would be able to determine which battery and host to use. Most likely a 14000 series at the smallest. I would appreciate any input into a good heatsink for a 6 or 8x that would let me run for about a minute or more.

As for my other question, I am still wondering if the drivers run the diodes with CW or Pulsed. I am still very unclear as to how to achieve one or the other. I am assuming most run pulsed diodes to get the higher output (wattage) ratings.

Thanks again!

HIMNL9

Uhm, no, actually all the drivers around works regulating the current through the diodes, not as pulsed drivers.

Both the linear types and the switching types ..... the only basical diference is that the linear drivers always need an input voltage greater than the one needed from the diode (as example, if a diode have 5V FV, and the linear driver have a dropout of 2,5V, you need to use at least 7,5 / 8 V of power supply) ..... the switching ones, instead, are "boost" drivers (or DC/DC converters, if you prefer), that can use a Vin lower than the one required from the diode, cause they "boost up" it.

Great! That was the answer I was looking for. I see the difference now when I compare the rckstr with the microflexdrive v5 that I have been looking at. I think I have decided on the rckstr and will have to keep the voltage up. I will want to run the BDR-203 diode so now all I need is to pick the right host and heatsink. If I really like building these things I might actually go for broke on my next build. I have some pretty radical ideas for 12x and higher builds :evil:

Thanks again for the help, and I will keep you guys posted when I actually get on with it.

Just to let you know.. I'm running 3x 10440's in series giving about 12.5v total, they only last me about 20-30 run time with rkcstr driver and 6x SF-AW210 diode @ 165ma... If you are thinking of running it with 2 10440's, I don't think that would be such a great idea! You might wanna contact Jayrob, and talk to him about his 4171/3405 MXDL kits.. nice big heat sinks, big room inside for a first build and has 3x 10440 battery capabilities!

Link here: MXDL 4171 & 3405 Host/Heatsink Combo Kits:

I think you will be better off with that... other wise Jayrob has a new kit out using a bigger battery for longer life, running at 3.6v with flexdrive would be a great little project!

Heres the link: http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/fs-18650-build-kit-easy-assembly-blu-ray-red-43857.html

Hope that helped! -Adrian

Last edited:
More good info! I have looked at a lot of the members' offerings and really like what I have seen. That being said, I would probably go with some components from them, but ultimately I want the experience of doing it without a kit. I also see what you are saying about current draw. I found these 14650 AA size L-ion cells. I would go with 2 of them in parallel which would make 3,7V with 1880ah which would yield close to 7Wh. In this configuration I would most likely use the microflex v5 as the rckstr would not work at that voltage.

I also see what you are saying about current draw. I found these 14650 AA size L-ion cells. I would go with 2 of them in parallel which would make 3,7V with 1880ah which would yield close to 7Wh. In this configuration I would most likely use the microflex v5 as the rckstr would not work at that voltage.

You might as well choose the #18650 battery with higher 2400mah capacity.
It's easier to find a good host for this battery.

A copper heatsink for the smallest form factor.

I use large aluminum heatsinks in my builds, but they may be larger than you are looking for.

Link-6x-Continuous-Duty-BR-build

LarryDFW

Last edited:
thanks for the info Larry. I actually did decide to go with a 18650 host because of the high capacity and room for a larger heatsink. The batteries I ordered are 2600mah and labeled Ultrafire. They are what I could find on ebay.at. I don't want it to look too much like a flashlight and I don't think I will need it to be on for more than a minute at a time, so I went with this host. I like the cylindrical look and the smooth head (good space for a warning label).

The only thing now is to find diode and driver places in Europe. I might ask Igor because he is only one country away. I could also try to harvest a drive, but drive prices are astronomical here and they are usually 4x at best. Any info on this??

GaroBlu

Best bet is to talk to Igort... btw that host is SHWEET!!! post some pics once you got it all up and running!

GaroBlu;

Depending on which driver is in that host,
you might be able to change the sense resistor to lower the current.

Flexdrive would also be a good solution.

Post photos of the internal mods and finished product.

LarryDFW

mkdive

I have both the 4171 & 3405 & heatsinks from jayrob. Both are great hosts. You will like either.