Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PL532 - 200 or LP532 - 50

I'm looking to replace an old Rayfoss laser I have with something better. After reading the stickies I'm looking at the laserbtb PL532 - 200 and LP532 - 50.

I would be primarily using the laser to indicate stars to others, but I'd like to have the 200mW to play around.

I would like to purchase the 200mW laser over the 50mW, but I have some questions:
  • How much more visible is a 200mW vs 50mW at 532nm?
  • How dangerous is it to indicate stars with a 200mW with no IR filter or without eye protection?
  • How much more damage would a direct hit from a 200mW laser case over a 50mW?

I intend to be very careful with either laser, but reducing risk is always nice.

If I purchased the 200mW version I would also pick up the Eagle Pair 190-540nm & 800-2000nm Laser Safety Goggles to use the laser indoors.

If the risks of buying the more powerful 200mW outweigh the benefits of a better laser, I'll probably go with the 50mW.

Last edited:

Sta

Hello Zeranoe,

If you have questions, I have answers! :)

1. It's about twice as bright to our eyes, but the difference is really quite shocking. 200mW of 532 is very bright!
2. There is no danger in using it outside at night unless you are a complete and total idiot. Pointing it in the sky will never hurt you - but be careful to NEVER SHINE IT AT PLANES!!
3. Both are likely to create a small, permanent blind spot with a direct hit. But I've taken glancing hits from lasers at both of those powers and sustained no eye damage.

I'd recommend purchasing the 200mW. You won't regret having a laser that is that bright. Besides, it'll probably end up in the 300-400mW range anyways! :D

Hello Zeranoe,

If you have questions, I have answers! :)

1. It's about twice as bright to our eyes, but the difference is really quite shocking. 200mW of 532 is very bright!
2. There is no danger in using it outside at night unless you are a complete and total idiot. Pointing it in the sky will never hurt you - but be careful to NEVER SHINE IT AT PLANES!!
3. Both are likely to create a small, permanent blind spot with a direct hit. But I've taken glancing hits from lasers at both of those powers and sustained no eye damage.

I'd recommend purchasing the 200mW. You won't regret having a laser that is that bright. Besides, it'll probably end up in the 300-400mW range anyways! :D

Sta, thank you for the input, and I think I'll get the 200mW version then.

I see that you can have an IR filter installed on the PL532 - 200 if you add it to the order. Is there any reason to not get the IR filter installed? Is it more common to have the IR filter or not?

If the IR filter was installed I believe I could buy the better Eagle Pair OD6 version without the IR wavelength.

Reactions: Sta

Sta

Definitely install the IR filter. There is no reason not to, and it makes your laser safer. It's a no-brainer.
And yes - you could definitely buy the Eagle Pair goggles without the IR wavelengths.

By the way, I'm glad you read the stickies! Few people do that anymore. :D

diachi

Indeed! Few people do that anymore :yh:

-Alex

If memory serves me right, that's not a recent thing. :D

Welcome Zeranoe - think Sta has you covered there.

50mW is enough to point out stars etc (I find even 20-30 to be enough). no problem, but 200mW is more impressive... :p

Hi Zeranoe, I have the PL532-50 and it is nice but I wish I got one of the HL or PL line of 532's even perhaps 300mw. The 50mw will have a beam and all but I can honestly say that you might regret getting a pointer that runs on alkalines over the PL.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Hi Zeranoe, I have the PL532-50 and it is nice but I wish I got one of the HL or PL line of 532's even perhaps 300mw. The 50mw will have a beam and all but I can honestly say that you might regret getting a pointer that runs on alkalines over the PL.

I think you might have meant "I have the LP532 - 50"?

I placed an order for the PL532 - 200 with the IR filter installed. I completed my payment and it appears to have went through, but I'm still in "Awaiting payment" on the order status. I'll give it a few days before I ping them.

I also ordered a pair of Eagle Pair 190-540nm Standard Laser Safety Goggles (OD4).

I found discount codes for both on the forum, so that was nice.

Now the waiting period sets in...:pop:

Just ordered two NCR18650GA batteries and a Nitecore D2 charger. Might be a little overkill, but at least I'll have room to expand.