Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PL520 in Trustfire A8

So I decided to do my first “usual build”, and I chose the Osram PL520 diode. Although it is a fairly low power diode, I chose a neat looking host for the job. The host I chose was the Trustfire A8 host, purchased from CajunLasers. I decided to power the diode with a X-Drive powered at 290mA.

To start off the build I took apart the host, and I must say it is a very nice looking host, it is also fairly heavy, which I like in a host. To get access as to where I would mount the driver I had to remove a plastic ring with a pair of large tweezers by means of the two holes in it. I wasn’t really satisfied with the way the plastic ring came out, because it was hard to remove it without getting the plastic ring cross threaded. I first tested the X-drive, which rang in at 287mA, and mounted it inside the host, with some thermal adhesive. Here are some pictures of the driver and plastic ring.

2nkruo5.jpg

2yobjus.jpg

The host is made for a bigger battery, but I chose to power the laser with two 16340’s. Luckily the host came with a spacer to make up for the diameter, and I chose to glue it inside the host with some epoxy.

2moph5h.jpg

The final thing that was left to do was to place the diode/module inside of the heatsink, and since I purchased the diode pressed in the module this was an easy. Everything fit together perfectly, and I was very pleased with the final result, I am especially impressed at how awesome the front of the laser looks.

2s7g7wj.jpg

311rnna.jpg

The beam of the laser is really bright, you can definitely tell the difference between the 520nm bean and the 538nm beam, and unfortunately I don’t have any beam comparison shots.

fabx29.jpg

20ksltl.jpg

Finally I did LPM the laser and obtained a reading of 73mW, I seemed to have lost the picture of that somewhere on my computer though.

Thanks for reading the short little review, tips appreciated!

Hey DTR! i just bought one of your 445nm M140 diodes!:D the shipping was very fast :thanks:

I wish my 520nm was on a really low side of things (WL)... those pictures make it look like 505nm, I want it :p