Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PL520-B1 Build in an Ehgemus Custom Host!!!

IsaacT

Aranya, Soul of the Forest, Elf Blade

Meet Aranya, my new 520nm EDC laser. She puts out a beautiful 150mW of pure forest green goodness.
What follows is an account of the forging of this fine Laser, my impressions, and my firm recommendation
that you pick up one of these diodes for yourself.

The Forging
(Read: The Build)

As many of you have probably guessed, I am a bit of an Ehgemus Host fanatic. I cannot count
the number of hosts I have bought from him over the years, and he has confirmed that yes,
I am the only one who bothers him weekly for hosts. Which is perfect for me. And it also explains why
I snapped this host up off of the B/S/T forum VERY quickly. It is a beautiful work of art, an elegant
host with tasteful lines and a wonderfully accenting brass ring. I knew I would have to have a green
diode in it from the moment I saw it.

So, once I received it, I placed an order for a PL520-B1 diode from DTR. I wanted 520nm in it, and
I wanted to have a good amount for star gazing and general beam enjoyment.

Diode Order Placed: 3/13/2014
Diode Order Shipped: 3/14/2014
Diode Order Received: 3/18/2014

As usual very fast turnaround for DTR, and very slow progress from USPS. Those bastards. Oh well.

First things first. When getting ready to build a laser, you need to have everything on hand
and within arms reach. Running around like a chicken with its head cut off is an invitation for something
to happen. Be it a drop, a static buildup, anything. Just get what you need before you start soldering.

Components:
PL520-B1 Diode from DTR w/ Microboost set to 450mA
Single 18650 Host from Ehgemus
Solder

One of the things I love about buying Ehgemus hosts is the simplicity of it's design. It is highly functional,
excellently crafted, and you can know for a fact everything will be ready to go. I rarely have to mod
anything at all with his hosts.

The Host:

The Diodes:

1. First things first, Trim up the wires. They cannot be too long or you will have issues shoving it all in there.

2. Tin the wires. They won't bond on their own! Note: It is hard to see, but yes they were tinned between the last picture and this one :p

3. Tin the Case Pin, and then Solder the Negative Battery Input wire(from driver) to the Case Pin.

4. Add Heatshrink Tubing to the Positive Battery Input Wire. Pro-Tip: It will shrink if it is too close to
the joint, so put it on the wire coming from the host, since it is longer. Otherwise just do it twice like I did :p

5. Solder the Wire coming from the host to the Driver's Positive Input Wire. Then Shrink that Tubing!!!

6. Put module into host, and secure with Hex Screw. Fire Away!

Build Notes: This was a VERY easy build. One thing I did, was to put the module in the host with
the lens and focus adapter already attached. I then turned it on, found the best infinity setting I
could, and pushed the module in until the focus adapter was flush with the host. This means
that my module is
inset by about 5-6mm. I like it because focus is always there if I tighten the Focus Adapter and
I can burn stuff by loosening the focus adapter. I have no need of a highly divergent beam, thank
you very much.

BEAMSHOTS!

CONCLUSION:

I hope you all enjoyed my brief build thread here. I love writing these up, and it gives me a great reason
to take tons of pictures! I truly recommend this diode. DTR is correct when he brags about the beam specs.
This may be a multimode diode, but the dot is cleaner than my old single mode PL520. Which is ridiculous.

Thanks,
Isaac

Reactions: DTR

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
More sweet greenness from you Isaac, two beautiful shades of green in two days! :beer:
Great build, and nice beam shots. That side by side pic with the 520nm next to your 532nm really shows off that nice beam!
At this rate, we probably ought to be looking out for something else from you by..... maybe Friday. J/K :D

Last edited:
Looks good all right ;)

Might I suggest running it at a lower current, to prevent too much red shift, and thus a lower wavelength? Just food for thought.

IsaacT

You can expect something else from me on or around Saturday I believe :D

"LPK" Laser Pointer KARATE! Awesome build +1(when i can)
(posting in the visible spectrum now!)

Im thinking of throwing one of these in a sinner 1X10440 host.

Last edited:
Thats a neat little host- was it a one-off, or one that he regurlarly makes? I don't remember seeing it in any of Ehgemus' threads.

IsaacT

Ehgemus hosts are one off. Which is what I love about them. Each one is unique AFAIK.

very nice isaac! what lens are you using? from dtr's testing, it looks like you should be getting ~230mW. i like this diode a lot, once my cash flow reflows it will be the first one i buy.

Last edited:

IsaacT

I was using a 3 element but I am using acrylic now because it makes the spot the cleanest spot I have ever seen. From a diode laser of course. This is seriously one of my favorite lasers! The beam is stunning, the profile is elegant.

The PL520-B1 coat threw me off at first but it is a cleaner beam profile than the single mode PL520. Add that to more power and we have a winner.

Tmack

I'm afraid to get one. I've heard from three members that at high current they haven't produced the mW they were expecting. I would love to throw a 1w in my host, but one of these is more realistic. I'm just worried I'll be another one to get a low performing diode. Only one way to be sure though.

I'm highly considering one of these. Though likely getting 150mW of 515-518 instead.

I'm a sucker for teal....

IsaacT

My last name is Teal lol.

Also, I got around 150mW with 450mA and a 3 element. I need to do an LPM reading with my acrylic but honestly guys, the brightness is amazing. The dot is very clean. 3 50mm would probably net you 100mW and I wouldn't be happy with that. The extra power helps a lot with beam viewing.

The reason they get less power is that the Voltage supplied with the microboosts just isn't quite all that the diode wants. And you would need like 12V with a buck driver to get the right voltage.