Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PL450B C6 Weak Output Problem

I recently got the parts for a PL450B build in a C6 Host and when I got everything put together and fired it up it had a fairly weak dot. Based on the power charts I've seen it should at LEAST output 100mW when running at 220mA. I'm using a 16.8mm round driver running at 220mA from survivallasers and a PL450B diode from DTR with a 3 element glass lens. I posted some pictures below of my setup and the dot on a white and black surface. Any ideas or help on what's going on would be greatly appreciated.:thanks:

Capture_zps82b11a19.jpg

IMG_1189_zpsb2d54e83.jpg

IMG_1187_zpsb228401f.jpg

Last edited:

Zeebit

Did you test the driver if it's actually putting out 220ma?

Also I assume it's a buck driver based on the AX2002 chip. You need two li-ion cells for it to work properly.

No, i haven't tested the driver. I have a multimeter but i think you need IN4001 diodes to test it and I don't have any. Will two 3.7 1000mAh ultrafire 16340's work?

Zeebit

Those should work but those are crap batteries. If you have the money get something like AW, Efest, Kinoko.

Okay, i know it's not the batteries cause I checked them with my multimeter. The connections between the diode and driver are definitely secure and covered with electrical tape. So it's either the driver or the diode that's causing the dim dot.

Zeebit

The multimeter will display the correct voltage of the cells but it does not mean that its a good cell. It may have high internal resistance making it unsuitable for high loads. You need to test it with good batteries or if you have a power supply you can use that too.

You need a test load to test the driver.

I've tested it with different batteries and still the same result and I don't have a test load available. I think the diode may have died given that it is always dim and doesn't just flicker.

Zeebit

Send it back to DTR. I'm sure he can replace it if its defective.

Okay does it matter that I cut off the white wire? (the diode pin is still intact)
and how should I go about sending it back? PM?

Zeebit

The white wire is for the case pin. You can cut it off if you don't need it. You can PM or email DTR.

ped

It's not really upto DTR if it was damaged with / due to faulty or poor installation.

You're missing a few essential tools for this hobby, namely a bench PSU and a test load.

We need to know EXACTLY what driver your're using, a good photo of it.
And does it require 1 or 2 cells?

And this picture frightens the life out of me..

Capture_zps82b11a19.jpg

Zeebit

@Ped - it's the AX2002 based driver, same as the $2 one in DX. I just checked out SL and they offer it in the 220mA output just like the OP.

@OP - that joint looks terrible. Use heatshrink instead of electrical tape.

ped

^^ I realise that, I wanted a photo more to make sure of the connections ect.

In these situations a bench PSU would identify the problem instantly :/

I will look into a bench psu so I can check the diode with a safe current before hooking it up to the driver.
Also, the diode was pre-pressed into the module so there was no installation.
Lastly, my connections may be covered in electrical tape, but the wires stayed isolated from each other. I will also look into to heatshrink tubing.

I will look into a bench psu so I can check the diode with a safe current before hooking it up to the driver.
Also, the diode was pre-pressed into the module so there was no installation.
Lastly, my connections may be covered in electrical tape, but the wires stayed isolated from each other. I will also look into to heatshrink tubing.

A bench PSU and heatshrink are ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED in this boddy. You will be making A LOT of wire to wire connection, and you will be testing them with a PSU.

Speaking of which, can someone point me to a good ~$50 bench PSU?

Thanks!
-Matt

Zeebit

$50? Not much option for that price. You can get a 0-15v 0-2A chinese bench ps form ebay but it will be crap. You need something decent because laser diodes are very sensitive. You are looking at over $100 for a decent ps or you could build one yourself.

I'm building one myself but I'm still waiting for the parts to arrive.