Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pic resizing on the forum....

Unfortunately, you really can't count on any user community to do the "right thing". It needs to be set in stone, and enforced by the forum's settings. Lots of otherwise technically savvy people take 6 megapixel photos, view them automatically scaled on their desktop to fit the native display resolution, or the current window, and forget what a pig of a .JPG they're actually posting, and how it might affect other people's sessions.

To save on forum bandwidth, I'd also suggest on turning off direct image hosting. It shouldn't be too hard for people who play with lasers to figure out a Photobucket or ImageShack account.

Should it?

At a minimum, if you want to be generous, and leave image hosting on if your current bandwidth and server storage constraints aren't being taxed, I'd ask you to check if YaBB has the option to force any directly uploaded images to automatically thumbnail them, or open in a new window or tab (for IE7 and FireFox) so the stand-alone image un-imbedded in any other HTML frames or formatting can be automatically resized by the viewer's browser.

The funky scroll bars within the message body that display the image at it's native resolution is something I've seen nowhere else. (Perhaps it's a limitation of YaBB you can't get around?) I run a fairly high-rez desktop at 1600x1200, and I'm still scrolling in three places to see people's uploaded imagery! Vertically within the message body, horizontally within the message body, and vertically within the browser to get to the bottom so I can grab the horizontal scroll bar!

That's nutz! :eek:

And with the native resolution of average consumer-level digital cameras getting higher and higher, the problem is only going to get worse as time goes on. :p

No clue why you scroll 3 times to see the pic. I run mine at 1280x1024 and I only have to scroll twice to see them.

And you are right. I scale my images to 800x600 when I post which I see fine but I did not think of others.
I'm good with 640x480 and will make that my posting standard from now on.

Even 800x600 is fine.

I just don't know why YaBB has this funky "scroll within the person's post functionality" at all. :-?

Let oversized images blow the post frame out and just scroll once on your own browser if you have to.

tomcat

i agree with this i use 1024x768 as my res and most pics i have to scroll 800x600 or 640x480 would make it esier and also even a 4-1 resize ratio would not really affact quality ( or for high megapixel just crop to subject and then shrink) you can just use paint for this...