Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[Pic Heavy] Keyswitch Modded Red Guidesman 260mW

(Warning.... Lots... Of.... Text)

Hey LPF, here's my semi-tutorial/me showing off my most recent build! It's a Red Guidesman with an LPC-815 running at 428mA from a FlexDrive V5. I transplanted it from my C6. But more on that later. :D

6916160192_d931395569_z.jpg

So I started off with the bare host. Or rather, I waited for it to arrive from China and gutted the insides. I really like these hosts. It's a shame the Guidesmans, as flashlights, use crappy 14 LED shower-head arrays.

7062188893_1ac665e2ba_z.jpg

I cut down the walls inside the pill because originally I had this built with an LM317 Driver running at 416mA. Turns out I didn't need this hollowed out too bad in the end.

7062192659_04985fccf9_z.jpg

When I had built it using the DDL circuit, I felt that running it with 2 10440s was a waste. I wasn't interested in modifying the tail cap just to run it with 16340s. It seemed too... boring?

Thats when I decided to use it with my flexdrive/815 combo. That way I could run it off of 3 NiMH AAAs for a sweet runtime! And better yet, if I ever possess a 26600 Li-ion, that's an option as well!

But it was missing something. Something to make it truly my own. Something that I could proudly display and take pride in its unique character.

Suddenly I realized I had some keyswitches in my parts bin. And since I was at my father's house I had access to a nice drill and some spade bits. I decided to add a tailcap keyswitch to this beautiful laser.

I started off by drilling a small pilot hole in the middle of the tailcap (Thank you, Geometry). Then I wrapped the sides of the tailcap in leather and secured it in a vice. I proceeded to make a 1/2" hole in the tailcap. Boy did that sucker get hot when I was through! :evil:

I got up to my workbench and then realized that the spring was too tight inside the cap to allow isolation where the anodization is absent. So I cut down the spring past the part where it is of continuous diameter. This allowed me to use some electrical tape to cover the bare aluminum. The spring fits in perfectly and remains isolated. The length of the spring still gives the battery holder a snug fit.

I pinched a lead coming from one of the terminals between the locking nut and the bare aluminum in the hole for the switch. It provides great contact and the tailcap works like a charm!

Enough of the description. Now for some pictures!

7062232121_2b69a13f1e_z.jpg

It doesn't look pretty on the inside, but its all secured and won't short out :)

7062235399_7618f61a36_z.jpg

7062229045_d6869dd6f1_z.jpg

It lines up pretty well to give the host a uniform and organized look. Me gusta!

6916163326_0a0332ece6_z.jpg

This is beautiful laser is putting out ~260mW through a coated glass lens. I made it so it is focused to infinity when the focusing ring is screwed down as far as it goes. Minute details that give me a smile :) I'm a beam man, mostly. So reaching in to focus to burn once in a while doesn't phase me.

BEAMSHOTS

6916591496_4989874d0a_z.jpg

This next shot is easily my favorite I've ever taken. Definitely my new avatar!

7062676043_cdd48ce926_z.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to check this out! I love how it turned out.
If anyone wants to try this on their Guidesman and needs clarification, feel free to ask. I'd highly recommend the modification. It gives me piece of mind when people are over. Also it's nice to know it won't turn on if the button is somehow pressed.

I'm thinking I'll use my spare C6 kit to build my first 445nm. I've gone around building countless 650nms and 405nms. I think it's about time I get my feet wet in 445nm!

Last edited:

Blord

Nice looking pictures. The host looks almost rendered. And great job on the key switch ! +1

Looks awesome, very nicely done! Very neat on the outside too

I'm really proud of it. It's my favorite handheld 650nm I've ever built.

Where do you buy key switches?

i got them off of eBay a couple of weeks ago. They weren't expensive at all. I think it was like $2.79 for a pack of 2. It arrived from China to Maine in the US in 10 days. Which blew my mind!

Nice looking pictures. The host looks almost rendered. And great job on the key switch ! +1

Haha thanks. Yeah I took the photo and thought the exact same to myself.

gif

waow truly an amazing build, thanks for doing this thread and also all your help in my other thread :beer:

I was all about blues and i still love them, but i am becoming big fan of reds now +1 my friend

Cheers!

waow truly an amazing build, thanks for doing this thread and also all your help in my other thread :beer:

I was all about blues and i still love them, but i am becoming big fan of reds now +1 my friend

Cheers!

Thanks, man :beer:
I don't know what it is I love about Reds so much! They're just full of bright, single mode glory! And they're really light on the wallet!
Like I said in your thread. If you have any questions I haven't answered, feel free to PM me!

AnthoT

nice build :) I've used those exact key switches in a build but i put it inside an altoids tin :beer:

-Anthony