Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Physics Lasers

Can anybody give me an idea for a PowerPoint presentation dealing about lasers and the physics that involves in it?
And if there are any ideas out there, i'm in Engineering Physics II in college, I just can't think of anything interesting I can do for this semsters presentation except lasers, and even so, i can't think of anything to present about dealing with lasers.

Last edited:

If you are in engineering physics you pretty much have no choice but to present the physics of laser light generation. Pick your favorite type of laser, solid state, gas, diode, etc. and present how coherent light is generated for that particular type of laser. Laser engineers and physicists write Ph.D. dissertations on this subject so you should have no shortage of information. The most difficult part will be reducing the amount of information to include and focusing on a specific set of information. If you like quantum mechanics you could target laser gain in a lasing medium, particularly how the electromagnetic influence of a passing photon forces an electron in a high energy state to release a photon of the same wavelength, in the same direction, and the same phase as the passing photon, as an example. You might consider electron absorption and energy states using Planck's constant, or perhaps describe the theory of what makes a good lasing material such as why Nd or Cr or Ho lases so well. The possibilities are endless.

also talk about:
coherent vs incoherent light
single wave length
advancements is laser technology
and most importantly what LASER stands for LoL.

michael.

when i was in year 6 for science i spen the whole luchtime puting mirrors up in the science room and i bounced a 1mw red laser around the room 57 times and showed every one using a smoke machine. i was demonstrating refraction but your into the university stuff this probably was no help sorry