Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

phr problem

so i just popped in some 3.7v cr2 batteries for my phr with a rkcstr microdrive and was really happy until the beam went from really powerful to super weak then nothing. i tested with a multimeter and found i can send current through the diode and driver, how do i know what broke and how do i know what broke it. i was using a aixiz glass lens could this be flashback damage?
-nick

Last edited:

Sounds like you *may* have killed the diode, but we need some more information. What current was it set at?

Sounds like a classic diode failure :undecided: Was the glass lens you were using AR coated for red or violet as Aixiz does make lenses for both wavelengths

Disconnect the driver from the LD. Using a Dummy Load, test how much current the driver is outputting. (W/the same batteries you used before, at the same charge)
How many mA current are you reading? If you're reading 130 or above, you probably killed the LD.

my multimeter beeps wen i test the connection telling me it completes a full circuit, how could this be if the diode got fried because i fried a lpc from overdriving it and it didnt beep.

KiLLrB

lpc? little purple cat?

see if it beeps both ways reverse polarity and correct polarity. if so its fried IIRC I know it beeps both ways if you fry a regular diode or just doesnt beep at all.

Last edited:
well my lpc wont beep at all and my phr only beeps if i put the +to the ld and the -to the gd

I had this problem!
Power at the driver's output and the diode tested good but when assembled would not work!
After testing everything several times and ripping out alot of hair it had donned on me when I used thermal grease pressing the module into my heatsink some grease may have gotten on the threads. So I dissasembled everything cleaned my module and heatsink with brake parts cleaner then a rinse with water and Dawn dishsoap.
That solved the problem!
My laser is case grounded and the grease on the threads was acting like a resistor at first and then as a open circuit!

Use an LED tester on your diode or hook it driver outside of your flashlight, If the diode is good your getting a bad ground between the upper and lower portion of the module. :can:

lpc? little purple cat?

see if it beeps both ways reverse polarity and correct polarity. if so its fried IIRC I know it beeps both ways if you fry a regular diode or just doesnt beep at all.

LPC as in LPC 815. The sled we get the LOC diodes from.

Check batteries (I've had many problems with cheap rechargeable lithium types).
Check all electrical contacts.
Check to make sure your solder joints are good.
Check the driver's current setting.

If the diode still draws current, it could still be dead. Most diodes that fail from COD (catastrophic optical damage) will still lase, but only weak spontaneous emissions (known here as "going LED").

KiLLrB

LPC as in LPC 815. The sled we get the LOC diodes from.

Check batteries (I've had many problems with cheap rechargeable lithium types).
Check all electrical contacts.
Check to make sure your solder joints are good.
Check the driver's current setting.

If the diode still draws current, it could still be dead. Most diodes that fail from COD (catastrophic optical damage) will still lase, but only weak spontaneous emissions (known here as "going LED").

Ya I figure that out shortly after I posted it and forgot wher i posted it lol. I was thinking he meant to say loc or lcc. My mistake.