Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PHR about to die (I think) HELP!

cust11

So I am pretty sure either my PHR or driver are about to bite the dust. First off... I am running a PHR(duh..) with a flexdrive v4. This problem started when after 10 seconds or so of use.. the diode would start to pulse/flicker. Now it starts to pulse/flicker as soon as I power it up. I was worried about this so I de-soldered the diode and threw the test load on. Turned down the current to 96mA and reconnected everything. I noticed that while adjusting my current the numbers were stable for about 5 seconds. Afterwards it was a slow decline. (ie: 1-5seconds 96mA, 6-10seconds 80mA, 10-15 seconds 62mA and soforth). The batteries are fresh 1.7v x3 lithium AAA's so I know it isn't a battery issue.

I would assume that I have a micro-bridge or short of some kind. Although, I can not see anything on the board with the naked eye, or slight magnification. I ask of everyone's opinion! Is the driver shorted out and dying? Also, if it helps.. after 15 seconds or so of use the driver gets very very hot! Thanks

-Mike

EDIT: All of the connections were re soldered and definitely not "cold solder" joints.

Last edited:

k1kb0t

The driver is not supposed to that as you know. It could have damaged the diode. Where did you buy the driver? I think Drlava offers repairs for drivers bought through him.

Jon

cust11

The driver is not supposed to that as you know. It could have damaged the diode. Where did you buy the driver? I think Drlava offers repairs for drivers bought through him.

Jon

I bought the driver from LSP. I really don't think the diode is damaged though. The beam is still very strong (hasn't been powered up since then) but I don't have a spare driver to verify this. Really, even if I could send the board to be repaired, i'd rather just buy a one. I really haven't looked at all my options yet

try it with just 2 of your freshly charged batts. i think you have too much voltage for the flex drive. 1.7x2 will get you 3.4 and that goes up to maybe 4 when the batts are full charged. hopefully this will work

k1kb0t

Chip is right about the voltage, flexdrives have a maximum input of 5 volts. You are at the threshold for maximum input voltage. You can put a diode in series with the input to reduce the voltage. I use 2 CR123 batteries 6.4 volts fully charged and I need the diode. Try with the two batteries like Chip suggests.

Jon

^^Yes give that a try...also, I have never had a Flexdrive get hot. HMMM

cust11

Never having a flexdrive get hot tells me that I have a short somewhere that I can't see. Before I jump to that conclusion though, I will drop down to 1.7x2~ish and see if I was just running the voltage too close to the maximum "safe" zone. Thanks everyone for the replys!

-Mike

cust11

try it with just 2 of your freshly charged batts. i think you have too much voltage for the flex drive. 1.7x2 will get you 3.4 and that goes up to maybe 4 when the batts are full charged. hopefully this will work

Voltages:
3-pack - 4.92v
2-pack - 3.456v

Ran it for 30seconds~ with the 2-pack and the diode did NOT flicker or seem to cut out at all (~96mW). I think that may have just been the problem all along! damn those lithium batteries and their high voltage!

I will continue to monitor my little PHR too see if that changes but so far so good! Thanks a bunch! (+rep for chip :D)

-Mike

EDIT: I think I found my problem. I was running 3 alk AAA's in my 3-pack originally (4.3v~) and when I swapped those out for lithiums (5.1v~) I did not compensate for the power gain.

Last edited:

cust11

cranked it back up to 120mA and it is pure EVIL now! Running 10x better than it had been in the past! I can't imagine how powerful a 6x or 8x is! I can't wait

k1kb0t

Do you have a glass lens for that one? You will get about a 28% increase with a glass lens. If you don't just look in the B/S/T section, both LarryDFW and Jayrob have them for sale.

Jon

cust11

Do you have a glass lens for that one? You will get about a 28% increase with a glass lens. If you don't just look in the B/S/T section, both LarryDFW and Jayrob have them for sale.

Jon

I have a glass lens from LSP. It is supposedly coated as well. I just got done playing with it and it chews through those red plastic drink cups like butter! but..... I have already lined up a 6x from scopeguy20 so... :D. I will be getting a jayrob lens for the 6x no doubt though! Still planning out the heatsink and whatnot.

-Mike

good job man. i was nervous it wouldnt work because you said you kept trying it with the higher voltage. but then mentioned you never felt excess heat. but glad you are finally happy and pumping out some power.

cust11

good job man. i was nervous it wouldnt work because you said you kept trying it with the higher voltage. but then mentioned you never felt excess heat. but glad you are finally happy and pumping out some power.

:D Thanks! Now I just want more power :yabbem:

-Mike

cust11

more power ehh????............how about an 8x

I would love to do an 8x build but it is out of my budget for the time being. Although there is a 6x build in progress :D Although, I fear I will become tired of the 6x too fast and should probably jump head first into an 8x :eg:

-Mike

Last edited: