Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

phr-803t sled IR diode help

im just wondering if this laser is worth putting into a module, also what current should i run it at? and what pins are what on the diode polarity wise

not worth it at all. its very low powered and a waste of time. i just use it for practice to take out the violet diode.

ive heard the diodes from the lpc sleds are capable of ~100-150mw but im not sure... ive got 1 in a module to test now i just havent found the time to do it yet.

so it might not burn alot but if i have a spare module i can make a laser only cameras can see? lol what about pin assignments

Tabish

I believe the IR in the phr sled is very low power. About 50mW.

in styropyros blue laser pointer tutorial e sais that ir diode has 4 pins so would it have 2 colours maybe red and ir???

daguin

There has been very little research done on these, because they are low powered and invisible. However, here is my best clue for how I feel about working with this IR diode. I have thrown away literally hundreds of these ;)

Peace,
dave

Morgan

I have used one of these diodes for a tiny spiro but I only used the red side of the diode, (it does have two colours GeGGuli). The wavelength looks to be a deeper red than LOCs. I can't think right now if that means it's a longer or shorter wavelength, (I think longer), but it is a lovely colour.

Not much power out of the red side. It seemed comfortable at somewhere around 20-30mW, (giving no noticeable heat at all.). The dot size is tiny though. Really sharp point. IIRC the two negative pins are common to both the red and IR side. This means that if you want to use the red side, you should be careful to NOT connect the IR by accident. All this being said, it sounds as if you're after the IR side anyway so I may be giving you information you don't need.

Hope that's helpful anyway, (... if a little late!)

M
:)

the LPC IR diode will in fact burn. I was running one at 300mA and burning crap better than a PHR does.

Is the red on the red/ir diode a 635nm, or is it a 650nm like the LOCs?

Morgan

It's a darker red than an LOC so I think that means it has a longer wavelength. (Correction please if needed). if LOC is 650nm then these are 650nm+...

If you've got a couple hanging around, (or can get some donated as they are just scrap in most tool-kits), then just hook one up and you'll be able to see the difference. Don't go nuts with your mA though. I'd start at lower than 10 and work up. They don't take much to pop. (at least the first one I cooked didn't!). And forget about burning anything with the red! The IR might just scorch electrical tape but I haven't tried.

@ Mohrenberg - Are the IR diodes from the LPC sled a dual IR/Red package as the PHRs? Can't think why they would be but maybe they use a low powered red just for reading?

Hope that helps.

M
:)

Last edited:

3zuli

I tried this, but I set the current to 100mA :whistle: because I thought it will burn :D
to my surprise, it lased and DIDN'T die or turn into led!! :wtf: