Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PHR-803T red/IR diode pinout and currents

Hey guys. This topic is copied from my post in the thread in the blu-ray forum. I received my three drives from geeks today. One is in the computer and working perfectly. I ripped one apart, but decided to see what I could discover about the red laser diode can inside.

After some testing, I believe I have discovered the pinout. Please refer to my extremely detailed diagram:

redpinoutwd9.jpg

Three of the pins travel into the can and have black insulating rings around them at the base to prevent them from contacting the can. The fourth one is the case pin and serves as the common ground or -. The top pin is the red laser diode, which emits a bright red light when I ran it at 50mA. The bottom pin appears to be the IR diode. I ran it at approximately 70mA and i found it projecting a dim reddish light onto the table. The last pin seems to do nothing, but current does pass through it. I will conduct some further testing on this diode and update as necessary.

EDIT: Yes, I can confirm with 100% confidence that this is the correct pinout. Photos are included of each laser running at roughly 40mA straight out of the can.

Red Laser:
p1010813xxbz5.jpg

IR diode:
dsc03456fg9.jpg

As these are not DVD burner drives, I already seem to have overdriven the red LD. I was ramping up the source voltage when the LD got brighter then suddenly went dim and I couldn't get it back to the brightness it was at before. I didn't see exactly how much current was going through it, but I would estimate it to be just over 50mA. Don't exceed this amount for either diode and you should be able to build a small pointer using the red diode.

Reactions: ARG

iccy

Confirmed... I could actually pop 1 balloon with it... but it broke when I turned up the pot.

looks like the prh 803-t is full of surprizes ;D over powered bluray and red reader diodes yea baby

Thanks for the pinouts, saved me some guess time :) Also encouraged me to play around alittle instead of tossing the LD into a storage bin.

Waiting on my saftey glasses before I go much further, but with the DDL driver I was able to push the red to from 40 to 70 mA and it was on for about 20 minutes, was doing just fine. Once I can get it in a housing and mounted Ill see how much I can push these. (got 3 left now, accidently broke off the pin of the red on the first)

Hello, We are supply the XBOX 360 HD-DVD laser PHR-803T sleds and other Game accessories and laser lens. your need any product, please contact us. thank you! :)

artix

jinpenglaser said:
Hello, We are supply the XBOX 360 HD-DVD laser PHR-803T sleds and other Game accessories and laser lens. your need any product, please contact us. thank you!  :)

yes, yes, yes... we all know about your PHR-803T sleds from your 73 posts of spam! :mad: But your prices simply cannot be beat! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] http://www.laser-jp.com/pro_list_detail.asp?id=1699 I'll take 50! ;D

daguin

Artix said:
[quote author=jinpenglaser link=1213642887/0#7 date=1216632088]Hello, We are supply the XBOX 360 HD-DVD laser PHR-803T sleds and other Game accessories and laser lens. your need any product, please contact us. thank you! :)

yes, yes, yes... we all know about your PHR-803T sleds from your 73 posts of spam! :mad: But your prices simply cannot be beat! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] http://www.laser-jp.com/pro_list_detail.asp?id=1699 I'll take 50! ;D[/quote]

Well, yeah . . . but you probably have to buy 1000 of them to get that price :p

. . .And shipping will be $30,000 :eek:

Peace,
dave

Event Horizon said:
I didn't see exactly how much current was going through it, but I would estimate it to be just over 50mA. Don't exceed this amount for either diode and you should be able to build a small pointer using the red diode.

Ive got 120 mA running through my red diode atm, but its aimed into a box and I dont dare look at even an uncolminated beam without my goggles yet. I just wish I had a beam power meter to get a mW reading from this LD

EDIT: devised a way to look at the diode through my camera into the box. 120 mA was ok, but at 130mA the brightness died off. now it peaks brightness around 90mA. If I hadent pushed it I probably could have made a nice 100mA pointer.

Has anyone tried running the red and the IR at the same time? Can it be done or let alone handle it? It would be nice to know exactly where the IR is shining. If someone has tried it can you tell me the setup you used and the results?