Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PHR-803T - At what mw can it be run forever ?

I have a question, at what mw can a phr-803t be run continously in an axiz module without heatsinking other than the axiz itself?

thanks

Ieon

If you REALLY want to be safe its 60ma but 90ma for just running for a long time ;).

But 60ma is like forever but it will die eventually like after months.

I have one in a lab-style heatsink that has been on for almost four months continuously at 90mA. I've been conducting this test to answer the same question, and I'd say 90mA is the sweet spot. 24 hours a day x 112 days = 2688 hours with no noticeable power degradation..

EDIT: missed the part about no heatsinking.. oops

hey elektro freak have you noticed a price difference in your electricity bill :-/

thanks
michael

My math puts it at ~2.2KWh which means that he has likely spent less than 0.50$ for electricity over the 4+ months the diode has been powered.

691175002 said:
My math puts it at ~2.2KWh which means that he has likely spent less than 0.50$ for electricity over the 4+ months the diode has been powered.

I'd imagine that's about right.. they're not really energy hogs or anything.

I got one I built set at 124mA and have had it built for about a month with no heatsink other than the aixiz module and its still going strong. I havent ran is straight like above but I mess with it daily

Arenared said:
I have a question, at what mw can a phr-803t be run continously in an axiz module without heatsinking other than the axiz itself?

thanks

At 0mW it would probably last forever.......... ;D ;D

Jerry

Arenared said:

thanks

If the heatsink only gets warm it should not be able to hurt the diode. Sorry, phr-803T's are so inconsistent that I really can't say the exact
current to run them at. 90-100mA's is probably the best.
--hydro15

Mine died at around 200mA, so 90-100mA (like everyone suggests) sounds good. Half the power of the death of a diode should give it some years.

rkcstr

I've been running an 803T continuously for about 6 weeks now, over 1000 hours, at 100mA and ~75mW of power output with no visual difference. I have yet to actually remeasure the power output, but my ability to see the beam in the same lighting hasn't changed at all, so that's my scientific proof ;)

Anyway, it's been shown over and over that around 100mA is a pretty safe value, likely to give you a few thousand hours on the 803T. However, that will also depend on how many times you turn it on/off and how "clean" your driving current is. More on/off cycles stresses the diode more as well as a power source that has harsh start-up or turn off, any spiking voltage, etc.

rkcstr said:
I've been running an 803T continuously for about 6 weeks now, over 1000 hours, at 100mA and ~75mW of power output with no visual difference.  I have yet to actually remeasure the power output, but my ability to see the beam in the same lighting hasn't changed at all, so that's my scientific proof ;)

Anyway, it's been shown over and over that around 100mA is a pretty safe value, likely to give you a few thousand hours on the 803T.  However, that will also depend on how many times you turn it on/off and how "clean" your driving current is.  More on/off cycles stresses the diode more as well as a power source that has harsh start-up or turn off, any spiking voltage, etc.

Is that without any other heatsinking than an Aixiz module? You're the only other person I've seen here that has anywhere near the same amount of hours on a PHR that I have on the one I described earlier. I'd be interested to know if that PHR has lasted that long with just the module for heat dissipation..

rkcstr

That's with a proper heatsink.  It's actually tests I'm doing with a small amount of lab-style lasers I'm selling through my website.  It's basically a 1" square x 3" long aluminum block with an Aixiz module head and a driver contained within.  You do need to have good heatsinking to get long/reliable life out of these diodes.

Here's what it looks like:
small_module.jpg