Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Photonics?

iewed

Are there any really good introductory level photonics books anyone here could recommend? Military applications for photonics are what I'd like to know more about, but I'd like a good foundation before I went into more advanced subjects.
I was looking at this book on Amazon, but with a $120 price tag, I wanted to be sure it'd be worth it, plus I'd have to save up for a while (Schools out, so no laser lunch money, don't turn 16 until end of summer, can't find a place that'll hire me at 15)

diachi

Wow you do the same thing as me, save your lunch money for a laser ?

How much were you saving ?

And Maybe you could just look about on wikipedia, also theres a thing on google that lets you read books online, its just like pictures of the pages and you can click a button to go forward.

Diachi

Switch

Reading books on a monitor is a pain. ::)

Damn, you get 30 pounds a week as lunch money? I would eat for 6 months off that money :D

Switch said:
Damn, you get 30 pounds a week as lunch money? I would eat for 6 months off that money :D

I don't think eating out of garbage bins quite counts as being able to 'eat for 6 months' :p

How is your calculus and trigonometry skills? Because this is an introductory textbook in photonic processes you need to have a good foundation in derivatives, integrals/series and trigonometry particularly when they get to Fourier Transforms. As a textbook it will assume you have the necessary background.

If you have the mathematics skills, the two books I reach for mostly are:

Lasers
A.E. Siegman
University Science Books

Principles of Lasers
Fourth Edition
Orazio Svelto
Springer Science + Business Media, Inc.

diachi

Switch said:
Reading books on a monitor is a pain. ::)

Yes it is

And no I dont, that was partly weekend spending money and pocket money and spare taxi money aswell as lunch money, plus £5 that I found and another £10 from the week before I started saving ;D

Probably only gonna save about £15 this week, then when it gets into the holidays, it will be less (£5-£10), unless I go out and busk for money ::)

Diachi

Switch

Murudai said:
[quote author=Switch link=1213343011/0#2 date=1213363159]

I don't think eating out of garbage bins quite counts as being able to 'eat for 6 months'  :p
[/quote]
Hey, it's called exageration, and we all do it. ::)
But seriously, I could eat in a restaurant the whole week.(once a day , work days only) ;D

Anyway, if someone would've told me derivates , integrals and series are actually used to calculate something that exists in reality , maybe I would've studied them better. ::)

iewed

FrothyChimp said:
How is your calculus and trigonometry skills? Because this is an introductory textbook in photonic processes you need to have a good foundation in derivatives, integrals/series and trigonometry particularly when they get to Fourier Transforms. As a textbook it will assume you have the necessary background.

If you have the mathematics skills, the two books I reach for mostly are:

Lasers
A.E. Siegman
University Science Books

Principles of Lasers
Fourth Edition
Orazio Svelto
Springer Science + Business Media, Inc.

I haven't taken Calculus yet, I'll be taking IB Pre-Calculus next year, so I'll probably wait a year before I start on those.

@Diachi-I got $10 a week for lunch

Check your local library system - especially if you have some colleges and universities near by - your local library usually can borrow books from university libraries. That way at least you can check out an expensive book, and decide if you want to save up to eventually buy it.

Also check Half.com - you can find $100 books for $50 or less sometimes. IMO their used book prices are better than Amazon's, usually.

You also might want to look into getting some back issues of magazines like Laser Focus World. I think you can search some of their archives on line for free.

diachi

I haven't taken Calculus yet, I'll be taking IB Pre-Calculus next year, so I'll probably wait a year before I start on those.

@Diachi-I got $10 a week for lunch

My friend knows calculus, he is 15, I will learn it during the summer holidays.

And I also get £10 a week for luch, but I get my pocket money which is £5 and a further £5 for cutting the grass, and then £10 (also get my lunch out of this) on wednesday and thursday for my taxi which costs £6.50. ;D

Diachi