Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

people do not know the power of lasers

i am currently at school and over listening to a conversation about laser. i found it sad that they are talking about pointing lasers at street signs and being dub with them. I mentioned the story i recently read on here about people being lased while in an airplane. They basically told me i am dumb and lasers cannot reach that far. i feel lasers are in the same category as guns. They are dangerous devices that are completely misunderstood. just thought i would share this conversation.

Well sadly you will meet people who have no clue what they are talking about.

Lightwaves travel to infinity unless particles/objects stop it.

I can guarantee you this, a 5mW 532nm pen will easily reach a aircraft flying at about 1000FT.

Last edited:

DJNY

I can guarantee you this, a 5mW 532nm pen will easily reach a aircraft flying at about 1000FT.

It depends. In fact laser light travel forever. In reality there is dust, moisture, pollen.. in the air which reflect, absorb, refract the laser during travelling. The second law of thermodynamics is also an interesting read here.

So your statement should be
a 5mW 532nm pen is able to reach a aircraft flying at about 1000ft when conditions allow. If it is going to disturb the airplane at this height, I maybe. It´s much more disturibing during landing and taking off.

i am currently at school and over listening to a conversation about laser. i found it sad that they are talking about pointing lasers at street signs and being dub with them. I mentioned the story i recently read on here about people being lased while in an airplane. They basically told me i am dumb and lasers cannot reach that far. i feel lasers are in the same category as guns. They are dangerous devices that are completely misunderstood. just thought i would share this conversation.

It is unfortunate people so ignorant can get their hands on a laser. Most of our powerful blue lasers would be visible from the International Space Station if you shined it at them, and that is well over 300 miles. Right now there is a probe orbiting the moon that communicates both ways by laser. So lasers can certainly reach very far.

Alan

NKO29

In my Country (Australia) They are prohibited WEAPONS if theyre over a un-doable 1mW. They may as well ban lasers all together, because im flat out finding a laser <10mW that isnt an expensive rare wavelength...

D

Deleted member 16589

Back in high-school I had a guy tell me he had a 500 Mega Watt Military green laser.
Turns out it was a 100mW green eBay peen or at least that what the label said.
I could not get it through his head that even tho the eBay seller said it was Military Did not mean its really military.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is unfortunate people so ignorant can get their hands on a laser. Most of our powerful blue lasers would be visible from the International Space Station if you shined it at them, and that is well over 300 miles. Right now there is a probe orbiting the moon that communicates both ways by laser. So lasers can certainly reach very far.

Alan

i actually brought that up to them. i have seen pictures of 2 watt 445nm lasers reaching the space station. both ignored me like i knew nothing XD