Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pen laser vs usual laser

Hello :)
I've been looking on the forum for a while but I didn't found the answer to my question, so sorry if this was already asked previously...

I was about to order a 50mW 532nm pen laser http://www.laserbtb.com/productshow.asp?id=83
But everyone here keeps telling me that I would be better to order the same but not the pen version
http://www.laserbtb.com/productshow.asp?id=77

Sooo, here's my question:
What's the big deal with pen laser vs common laser? Why are they a little less expensive? Why does people don't like them?:banghead:

Thank you

Is not that nobody likes pen style lasers. In fact ebay PEN style laser pointers get sold more than your flashlight style laser. Mostly because pen style lasers are cheaper and more known by people. If money is not a factor i would go for the HL 532 instead of the pen laser, why ? Becuase i can dissipate more the heat giving you a longer life time, also its more safe against any miss use ( not saying you are going to miss use it, but i can help you prevent an ACCIDENT ) . At the end you are the only one that can decide on which laser to get. I personally like both :)
Thats a good web site to buy from and please use safety glasses !

DrSid

It's like buying screwdriver, or screwdriver in pen .. both are screwdrivers .. but one is just a gimmick with compromises so it fits in a pen ..

Thank you guys, this is exactly what I wanted to know...
Great comparison btw :)
So, I'll make my choice and let you know my feedback once I receive it, just in case anyone would be interested by the same laser than me.
:sold:

I own a laserbtb HL and a laserbtb LP and the HL is like, 50x time more better than the LP. Build quality, features, heatsinking, attention to details etc.

oh... I just saw your signature actually...
Your HL is a red 80mW and your PL is a green 100mW, so it does make sense that the green one, which is more powerfull, seems better because it is...:crackup: You can't really compare them togther for the laser part I guess...However, I might, as you said, be better to consider the construction of the case, switch...
Thanks for your advice :)

Last edited:
A laser pointer or laser pen is a small handheld device with a power source (usually a battery) and a laser diode emitting a very narrow coherent low-powered laser beam of visible light, intended to be used to highlight something of interest by illuminating it with a small bright spot of colored light. Power is restricted in most jurisdictions not to exceed 5 mW.

A laser pointer or laser pen is a small handheld device with a power source (usually a battery) and a laser diode emitting a very narrow coherent low-powered laser beam of visible light, intended to be used to highlight something of interest by illuminating it with a small bright spot of colored light. Power is restricted in most jurisdictions not to exceed 5 mW.

Ok so ... Whats your point ? We all know what lasers are ... And what is their purpose.. And by the way how would i point out something that is 60f away with an IR laser ?!? That rule doesnt apply to every laser , i wouldn't use a 300mW green laser to highlight something with its SMALL BRIGHT SPOT OF COLORED LIGHT at 60f because i will get eye damage...very narrow beam of light ? What about 445nm laser, their beam is a fat as a redneck !!

Please introduce yoursef on the welcome section..…

Last edited:
oh... I just saw your signature actually...
Your HL is a red 80mW and your PL is a green 100mW, so it does make sense that the green one, which is more powerfull, seems better because it is...:crackup: You can't really compare them togther for the laser part I guess...However, I might, as you said, be better to consider the construction of the case, switch...
Thanks for your advice :)

Look again, my hl is not a red 80nW nor is my PL a green 100 mW :|

I also made my point on the HL being a better HOST, nothing to do with power.

Last edited:
oh you right lol... anyways I just ordered the PL 532mn 50 mW because it will be easier to modify (I'm using it on a project actually so...) and according to some that's a great choice.
thanks everyone! (Well except Jonathan1 haha)
:paypal:

oh you right lol... anyways I just ordered the PL 532mn 50 mW because it will be easier to modify (I'm using it on a project actually so...) and according to some that's a great choice.
thanks everyone! (Well except Jonathan1 haha)
:paypal:

Good choice ! Have fun !!;)