Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PBS Cube Maximum Power

Hi LPF,
I have recently dismantled a 8x DVD laptop burner and I have got the dichros, lens and the PBS cube intact.
I would want to use that PBS cube to combine the beams of two LPC-836 diodes @ >300mw. From what I can see, this cube is coated (normal blue tint, reddish at certain angles) and for sure it's for 630-650nm.
But I don't know if it's safe to mix that power in a 3x3x3mm one.
Do you think I can do this with it or should I buy a new one?

And could I mix 900mw+900mw of 635nm with it? It would be cool to see a near 2W red laser pointer :eg:

Thanks in advance
Gonzalo

I'd only mix single mode diodes, because multimode, having a non-gaussian beam, when mixed, will give you a + pattern instead of a º pattern. Thats undesired and expensive to correct (waveplate corrects this - $100 EA.).

The coating probably will reflect a lot more light than a uncoated prism, so probably you can mix 2W with safety with it... Just don't put blue light on it. It is coated for IR and red.

I found one 2 or 3 days ago.

Thanks. I already thought it would be nearly impossible to mix multimode diodes. But are the lpc-826/836 multimode?

No. They are single mode. But you said

"And could I mix 900mw+900mw of 635nm..."

Yeah thats possible but the results would be a + beam, because you will have two fast-axis combined, one vertical and one horizontal.

BUT for single mode diodes you should have no problems other than aligning... :whistle:

Yes, I know. My fault.

Well, if you consider aligning isn't a problem ........You are amazing :bowdown:

Now really, will alignment be a problem with a custom machined host and two AiXiZ modules

I don't think it is a problem.
If you have a couple hours and the correct setup it is easy to do.

Focused to infinity, just above lasing threshold (80mA) and with screws to >>slowly<< move the laser, I think it should be feasible. Not your weekend project tho...

That's good news. Time to buy some diodes :)
Thank you very, very much. Glad to see that people like you are in this forum helping to others :thanks:

:) No problem
Any doubts just post here!

Use goggles ok. Dealing with optics + lasers are dangerous. Play safe :D

I can recommend LPC-826's from "Techhood", on ebay. They are $10 ea and free shipping. Brand new, non extracts :D

Yes, for blue&green I have dragonlasers googles which i bought with my first > 5mw pointer and I have to buy some for red. I don't want to loose or damage my "seeing balls".
Thanks for all :)

Kind regards,
Gonzalo