Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Paypal problem with a merchant

Firsh

Not sure where to get some answers so I’ll write here. I recently bought some stuff from a merchant (I don’t name them due to privacy.) This is not about lasers, it has nothing to do with them. It' I’ve been doing business with them once in the past and they shipped the product and everything was ok. Now I purchased again something different and they tell me that they can’t ship that to my country. This has not been indicated on the site. It’s already been paid by paypal (no card, just the funds used). They asked me what to do with the order more than a week ago. I wrote them 2 emails since then , no reply for now.

They have a point in their ToS that refunds will be allowed in case of error on their part or lost items during shipping. But as store credit. I don’t need store credit I need my money back. This is not the case of error or lost merchandise, this is like a cancelled order and I think I have the right to cancel it. But I don’t know if they are really this slow or what. Should I open a report in the paypal resolution center? Will that hurt my paypal account? Because I’m using it for work I don’t want any complications or lockdowns. What would you do?

Go to your PayPal account and open a Dispute (do not escalate i
to a Claim yet)...
PayPal will send them a message stating that a Dispute is open
against them...
If after 5-7 days they still have not responded... Go back into
your PayPal account and Escalate the Dispute to a CLAIM...
At this point PayPal will contact the Seller to show proof of
delivery. Obviously they can't do that since they have not shipped
anything...
After investigating your Claim Paypal will no doubt decide in your
favour and refund your money..

I'm assuming you live in North America....
Your details are sketchy....

Jerry

Firsh

I'm assuming you live in North America....
Your details are sketchy....

Jerry

Thanks! What details would you like to know? I live in Hungary, the merchant is in the US. They are a company not just someone on ebay. They are usually okay and respected. Last time I did not have any problems with them. But this slowness is truly painful and I don't know what's happening. If they offer store credit as refund will that favor them over me by paypal's perspective? Because I can't do anything with that, I already got the stuff I need from ebay since.. And I'm not talking about $10-20..

:wtf:

Toke

Lasersbees´s advice sounds sensible, the paypal dispute is quite likely to get their attention just in case they have overlooked your emails.

Firsh

My last mail to them was on wednesday evening. Should I wait a little more or open the dispute right away?

Open the dispute as soon as you can.....
It WILL get their attention...

Jerry

JLSE

Jerry's advice is right on the money...

Though whatever you do, do not close the dispute until they
have refunded, or you reach an agreement.. Once you close a dispute,
you cannot re-open it. Some sellers will try to get you to close it and
offer promises etc.. The moment you close it, they stop responding, and
you dont get your money nor item.

Paypal can offer good protection, but when you deal with sellers who like to
take their sweet time and it goes beyond the 45day marker, you lose your protection.

This rule also applies when entering a group buy with an unreliable person. It hits
the point of no return and they can easily scam your money and feed you half ass'd
excuses.. Not much can be done from there..

Firsh

Jerry's advice is right on the money...

Though whatever you do, do not close the dispute until they
have refunded, or you reach an agreement.. Once you close a dispute,
you cannot re-open it. Some sellers will try to get you to close it and
offer promises etc.. The moment you close it, they stop responding, and
you dont get your money nor item.

Paypal can offer good protection, but when you deal with sellers who like to
take their sweet time and it goes beyond the 45day marker, you lose your protection.

This rule also applies when entering a group buy with an unreliable person. It hits
the point of no return and they can easily scam your money and feed you half ass'd
excuses.. Not much can be done from there..

Well I'm well aware of scams and shit, but this one got me at my back. It's probably not their fault the manufacturer of that certain product seems to be banning sales here but they should have mentioned it somewhere on their site.. I already got everything I needed via ebay. And with some prices they have there they even beat this shop including shipping costs. So they can offer me anything I won't take it I won't close the disupute until I got my money back. It'll be a good experience. Maybe it'll be escalated to a claim and I get to see how paypal means business who knows... :yh:

Only you can escalate the dispute to a Claim...
1) open the Dispute ASAP
2) give the seller 5-7 days to respond
3) Then escalate the Dispute to a Claim if you have not
received the Refund back into your account
4) trust no-one when it comes to $$$$

BTW... head the advice wannaburn posted... you only
have 45 days from the day you sent the payment to
open a Dispute... After that YOU will bite the bullet...

Jerry

Toke

I have tried the "We do not ship to your country" thing once.
(Swords to Denmark is a no-no, the police and customs believe they are dangerous weapons. :whistle:)
It went rather well under the circumstances, I got a notification through paypal about the problem and why my money had been returned.

Your merchant should be able to do the same.

Firsh

I meant I'll might need to escalate it to a claim. I know only I can do it:)
I'm well inside the 45days.
Thanks guys I hope it'll be resolved soon.

Firsh

Well the dispute didn't get their attention for a week now. WTF? Claim time or should I wait a bit more? I placed and paid the order on March 16, I got one single email on March 18, since then I wrote 4 emails incl. the dispute's first mail.. It's $120, it has some value to me lol..

ped

Do the claim mate. If he continues to ignore you, the claim will go in your favour.

Firsh

Do the claim mate. If he continues to ignore you, the claim will go in your favour.

Thanks, done. I might be impatient but it's not about waiting on shipping, I'm fine with that, this is about something else.

Firsh

Didn't want to open a new thread.. But I'd like to ask what happens to the losing end in a dispute? Paypal takes back the money and that's all or there is a sanction? What happens if the dispute is not legit for any reason? I'm asking because I lost some money to a broker and I got nothing to lose by reporting them, but I don't wish to play with fire unless I stand a chance. What do I do?