Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PayPal new BS - Screwing Sellers Now

Man, over the years I've had stupid troubles with PayPal with stuff like transferring funds, etc and I've had 2 items that were never shipped to me that I still ended up paying for because it was easier to say screw $20-ish than have the account locked up, etc - THIS is the last freakin straw!

I sold a handheld Laser on Ebay 2 days ago, and I recieved confirmation of payment this morning with a total BS stipulation: Due to the item being listed in a "high-risk category" (IE: Lasers) the payment is being "Held" by PayPal and will not be posted to my account as available until A) The buyer contacts PayPal and confirms reciept, B) I provide proof of reciept in wjhich case the funds will be released within 2 business days of them confirming, or C) 21 business days pass without a dispute being filed by the buyer.

This is crap - is this happening to everyone? I have 2 Ebay accounts, my business account (which I rarely use except for stuff that technically belongs to the company) is at 100% feedback and 43 transactions, my personal account is at 100% and 225 transactions and yet they just arbitrarilt decide my transaction is "high risk"? According to the link they sent me, it is now their perrogative to hold funds for ANY auction payment for up to 21 business days if someones feedaback rating is less than 100 transactions or less than 95%, OR if the "star ratings" given during feedback (the little 5-star system TR communication, speed, etc) fall below 4.5 stars anytime in a 1 year period ... well hell, read it for yourself (here is the link to the public page, log into your account and search "hold" to get the full nasty details)

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/sell/SaferPayments-outside

To tell the truth I don't even like this as a BUYER, because once it starts happening to perfectly good, 100% sellers (having to wait 3 weeks to get paid, etc) then less and less cool deals are going to be out there on Ebay, because it's too much of a hassle to get honest money for an honest sale.

Any opinions from other legitimate Ebay users on this mess?

Another thing, heres the body of the Email I recieved to confirm payment, the best part was the subject line in the Email, all caps: PAYMENT RECIEVED - PLEASE SHIP ITEM

NOTICE OF PAYMENT RECEIVED - PLEASE SHIP ITEM

Dear Dale Zaccard,

You've received a payment, detailed below. We’ve placed a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction.

PayPal and eBay are working together to make payments for eBay items even safer. Because we want both buyers and sellers to feel confident about sending and receiving payments through PayPal, we may temporarily hold payments for items sold on eBay.

Make sure to ship the item right away, so you'll have access to the funds sooner. We’ll release the hold in 21 days unless you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction subject to the hold. We may release the hold earlier if either of the following occurs:

The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay.
We confirm that the item was delivered.* We can confirm delivery if you ship the item with USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page. This applies to transactions within the United States.
Additional hold period

If you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction subject to the hold, we may hold the payment until the problem is resolved.

Learn more about the PayPal policy for payment holds for eBay items.

We will notify you by email when the funds are released. You can monitor the status of the hold in your Transaction History.

* This applies to US domestic transactions that are shipped by USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either (i) use PayPal shipping labels to ship items or (ii) provide tracking information to PayPal.

It happened to me too, the quickest way to have paypal release the funs is to have the buyer leave positive feedback. ;)

BrewCityMusic said:
Man, over the years I've had stupid troubles with PayPal with stuff like transferring funds, etc and  I've had 2 items that were never shipped to me that I still ended up paying for because it was easier to say screw $20-ish than have the account locked up, etc - THIS is the last freakin straw!

I sold a handheld Laser on Ebay 2 days ago, and I recieved confirmation of payment this morning with a total BS stipulation: Due to the item being listed in a "high-risk category" (IE: Lasers) the payment is being "Held" by PayPal and will not be posted to my account as available until A) The buyer contacts PayPal and confirms reciept, B) I provide proof of reciept in wjhich case the funds will be released within 2 business days of them confirming, or C) 21 business days pass without a dispute being filed by the buyer.

This is crap - is this happening to everyone? I have 2 Ebay accounts, my business account (which I rarely use except for stuff that technically belongs to the company) is at 100% feedback and 43 transactions, my personal account is at 100% and 225 transactions and yet they just arbitrarilt decide my transaction is "high risk"? According to the link they sent me, it is now their perrogative to hold funds for ANY auction payment for up to 21 business days if someones feedaback rating is less than 100 transactions or less than 95%, OR if the "star ratings" given during feedback (the little 5-star system TR communication, speed, etc) fall below 4.5 stars anytime in a 1 year period ... well hell, read it for yourself (here is the link to the public page, log into your account and search "hold" to get the full nasty details)

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/sell/SaferPayments-outside

To tell the truth I don't even like this as a BUYER, because once it starts happening to perfectly good, 100% sellers (having to wait 3 weeks to get paid, etc) then less and less cool deals are going to be out there on Ebay, because it's too much of a hassle to get honest money for an honest sale.

don't feel bad, this "hold" is a simple precaution they take to try to stop scammers, to get the fund quicker just ship with delivery confirmation....and they will either drop the hold when you get + feedback or when the item is delivered.....
i have like $293 on hold right now.....
and it sucks that it has to happen because i would love to buy 293 dollars worth of lasers but in the long run this method is good for everyone.....

they put this hold on all large payments....(i even had them hold a payment for $40 from an ebay sale i had)

D

Deleted member 8382

Thats nothing new, I think I hav read that alredy somewhere

When a customer pays me with an E-Check... Paypal warns me not to ship
until the mony is actually in my account...

There is no way I will ship an Item to a customer if the money is not
cleared into my account...

Under those circumstances I would....

1) NOT Ship... until the money was cleared into my account
2) Contact the seller to make him aware of the PayPal hold on his Payment and that I can not ship before it is cleared
3) Offer the Customer another method of Payment and refund his PP Payment.
4) make PayPal aware that I did not use PayPal because of the Payment Hold and I will not use PayPal each and every time a PP Payment is Held.

Just my way of handling things... ::)

BTW... could we have a look at your user name on eBay... maybe there is some
obscure reason PP is holding your funds.. If not... that's OK too... :)

[Edit] It has not happened to me yet..... :cool:

Jerry

Sure, Jerry - My Username is BrewCityMusic there as in here, as in anywhere I go, pretty much ;)

JLSE

lasersbee said:

When a customer pays me with an E-Check... Paypal warns me not to ship
until the mony is actually in my account...

There is no way I will ship an Item to a customer if the money is not
cleared into my account...

Under those circumstances I would....

1) NOT Ship... until the money was cleared into my account
2) Contact the seller to make him aware of the PayPal hold on his Payment and that I can not ship before it is cleared
3) Offer the Customer another method of Payment and refund his PP Payment.
4) make PayPal aware that I did not use PayPal because of the Payment Hold and I will not use PayPal each and every time a PP Payment is Held.

Just my way of handling things... ::)

BTW... could we have a look at your user name on eBay... maybe there is some
obscure reason PP is holding your funds.. If not... that's OK too... :)

[Edit]  It has not happened to me yet..... :cool:

Jerry

This hasnt happened to me either, could it be US sellers only? My auctions are 'buy it now' not sure if that makes any difference. But I also had a recent sale for 800. US, and it went through right away on a 'best offer'... weird..

I had some meatball try to scam me through a chargeback claiming 'customs ripped the wires out' when in one of his emials the idiot told me he hooked it up to a 12v ac adapter...

The chargeback went in my favor, but I recieved my first -. So now im at 99.1% feedback and no holds yet..

I think when this topic was mentioned before it was also a US seller..

Oops - sorry, didn't mean to "double post", BTW ...

So this has me so irate that I did a little poking around the Ebay forums, etc with some spare time I had today - Ebay evidently is planning on removing all optional forms of payment with the exception of PayPal on their listings, as well as dropping the buyer and/or seller protection on any transactions that don't use PayPal. Couple that with a 3-21 business day hold on the majority of transactions over $100, and just try and grasp the sheer increase in profits they will realize purely based on the short-term interest on the funds they are holding hostage (not to mention their seller fees, etc).

Hell, I though playing music 4-5 nights a week was a lucrative gig - Man, I'm in the wrong business, evidently!

I had my account closed on ebay, since I had <4.1 star rating... and they closed paypal account with it... I absolutely hate them... I will not pay my fees ;)

yeah eBay sucks horribly. I'm banned due to selling lasers and creating another account after being banned to sell more lasers ;)

Don't trust eBay, which owns paypal. it will only bring you troubles.

-Kendall

BrewCityMusic said:
Sure, Jerry - My Username is BrewCityMusic there as in here, as in anywhere I go, pretty much  ;)

Hey BCM... I just had a look at your Feedback.... It's all 100%..

Where I could see a problem is that you don't have a DSR rating yet...

Maybe that and the over $100.00 amount was what flagged it in their system....
I can't see any other reason... (unless you're seeing the eBay president's daughter.. ::))

I've never had a payment over $100.00 held.... and if it should happen
I'll do exactly as I outlined above.... I'll cancel a sale before I send a
product without payment in hand. Just the way I do business.. ;)

Jerry

BrewCityMusic said:
Man, over the years I've had stupid troubles with PayPal with stuff like transferring funds, etc and  I've had 2 items that were never shipped to me that I still ended up paying for because it was easier to say screw $20-ish than have the account locked up, etc - THIS is the last freakin straw!

Wow - I can't believe they did that. I thought I had bad luck with them ! I try to ship items out as fast as possible when they are purchased on my site - a lot of times, this means I ship the same day it is paid for. What I hate is when they yank a freaking payment back FOR NO REASON - to "investigate" the payment. I suggested that they CALL the buyer - rather than yank $300 out of my Pay-Pal account. Yeah - like they listen to mr small beans, here ! Anyways, I can feel your pain...after they yanked funds from my account, they actually had that audacity to send me an email telling me to deposit money in my pay-pal account to bring it into a positive balance. LOL !! NOPE. I told them to clear the "investigation" and put the funds back, and all will be well. This latest crap of theirs happened last week - and took 6 days to settle - even though the customer NEVER complained, and was in possession of the items for 4 of those days. GEESH. BUT - what can you do ? Google Checkout is just as bad, if not worse...I won't take payments with those clowns any more, after they decided in one person's favor when I had emails admitting that they were running a scam on me. His local police were notified by me, and I cancelled my GC account due to this jerk.

I just just sold my PSP camera last week for $30. Took 3 days AFTER it was received to get the money :mad: It's ridiculous. This new system isn't even safer, it's the exact same as it was before. People still have to file a claim or do a chargeback to get their money back, so why put a stupid hold on it? It merely stops us from using the money, and even if we did, they would still get their money back and we'd go into negative. However then paypal wouldn't have to pony up the dough for us :-/

I think this just makes me glad that I do not sell on Fleabay....what a freaking nightmare ! Too bad there is no way to flood Pay-Pal/Fleabay with emails to get them to change their crappy policy...I really do not think it would make any difference to them.

In this online world, what I cannot believe is that there is no hassle free way to send money to someone. I mean for the most part, 99% of your cash is digital anyway. Just 1s and 0s in the bank's computer.

So Paypal is, and always has been, a hassle with very strange rules and a poor track record in resolving disputes. But there are no alternatives. Buying a laser from an overseas member here? Yeah right, wait 2 weeks for the MO to get there, then 2 weeks for the laser to get here. While paypal does suck, I will not inconvenience myself for the sake of principle. Heck, unless local pick up, I refuse to bid on ebay if they don't have an electronic payment method.

The reason this new policy is in effect is to prevent seizing funds on a charge back and having an account go negative. That's a loss for paypal. And with the massive scamming going on, I imagine it cuts into profits pretty hard. I would also think that a seller who got screwed/scammed out of a big ticket item and the chargeback put them -$1000+ would just say screw you and close the account. Paypal is out the money.

Anyway, I guess my point is, paypal sucks. So what are you going to do? Unless it's a high ticket item, you'll lose sales asking for MO only. I suppose since you are a business, you can always get a Merchant ID and a real CC processor. Not many alternatives out there.