Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers



Laser Pointer Store

Passion of the LASER

Ace82

New member
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
1,781
Likes
0
Points
0
Remember the first time you saw the beautiful/powerful dot/beam on your wall? Remember the pleasure it brought to you?

Being that we are human, we have this amazing gift/curse to adapt to almost anything and everything, both good and bad.

The more time goes by, the more “common” these things become, the more regular it is, less unique, less spectacular, the less pleasure we receive because we’ve “been there done that”, so to speak.

How many guys do we know that although they have a super hot/beautiful woman in their life, they’re still interested in others? Because they’re new, they haven’t yet, “been there, done that”.

How many times do we refresh ourselves with our favorite beverage, and think, “OMG, that’s so good”?

How many times do we shine our laser at our wall, and think “Wow, that’s truly awesome” although we have done the same thing hundreds, thousands of times before?

From my back yard, I’ve hit every tree in vision hundreds of times. And I’m sure I will continue to do so.

The passion isn’t about the laser’s themselves, or the women, beer/coke/pepsi/monster/water (etc.), it’s about our perception that keeps the love alive. How deep does the rabbit hole go? How deep does our passion stem? I’ve been obsessed with lasers since I was a young boy because they always infatuated me. And they still do, even more so (since the technology is improving). It gives me much pleasure to “play” with these great inventions, and I don’t see how anybody could loose interest, or get bored. Everybody has their passions, that’s why I understand why everybody doesn’t like them as I do, but they don’t seem to understand why I “need” them, or what they “do” for me, or what they’re used for.

Oh yeah, I’m crazy btw. [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
 

daguin

New member
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
16,636
Likes
622
Points
0
Ace82 said:
 Everybody has their passions, that’s why I understand why everybody doesn’t like them as I do, but they don’t seem to understand why I “need” them, or what they “do” for me, or what they’re used for.  
I was sitting at dinner with my ex-wife and her husband (it was my son's birthday) and we were talking about my lasers.  He asked me, "What good are they?"  I smiled and simply replied, "You are a 57 year-old man who has a model train layout in his garage."  ;)

Peace,
dave
 
Joined
Jul 24, 2008
Messages
1,415
Likes
0
Points
0
sounds like you stole my thoughts... i was just thinking... lasers are more of a passion to me not so much a hobby.

though a passion is usually involving a hobby.

but i consider my car more of a hobby auto crossing more of a hobby and lasers more of a passion.
 

RA_pierce

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 16, 2007
Messages
3,399
Likes
378
Points
83
Haha, lasers are cool, however I dont know if I would compare a laser to my Girlfriend.
She has orifices.
Ahaha!
No just kidding.

The first time I got my hands on a laser pointer I was infatuated. I still have my first laser, but now the paint is stripped and it's awaiting a new 5mW module and some glue to fix the pocket clip. And maybe a paint job.

I think the explanation for the apparent loss of interest is not because the girl/laser/beverage becomes any less pleasing, necessarily, but that that pleasure becomes normal. So we seek something more to satisfy a greater requirement of excitement. That's why we set out to acquire a laser collection worth more than your girlfriend's/wife's wardrobe or shoe collection.  ;D



Edit:
daguin said:
I was sitting at dinner with my ex-wife and her husband (it was my son's birthday) and we were talking about my lasers. He asked me, "What good are they?" I smiled and simply replied, "You are a 57 year-old man who has a model train layout in his garage." ;)

Peace,
dave
You are now my favorite.
 

Ace82

New member
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
1,781
Likes
0
Points
0
daguin said:
[quote author=Ace82 link=1221154053/0#0 date=1221154053] Everybody has their passions, that’s why I understand why everybody doesn’t like them as I do, but they don’t seem to understand why I “need” them, or what they “do” for me, or what they’re used for.  
I was sitting at dinner with my ex-wife and her husband (it was my son's birthday) and we were talking about my lasers.  He asked me, "What good are they?"  I smiled and simply replied, "You are a 57 year-old man who has a model train layout in his garage."  ;)

Peace,
dave
[/quote]

haha, I'm sure that made him think.  ;D

thesk8nmidget said:
sounds like you stole my thoughts... i was just thinking... lasers are more of a passion to me not so much a hobby.

though a passion is usually involving a hobby.

but i consider my car more of a hobby auto crossing more of a hobby and lasers more of a passion.
Yes, auto cross is awesome.  I dabbled in it a little when I had my 300zx 1992 TT all fixed up, but that’s an expensive hobby! I still hang with lots of people in it and help them work on their cars, but I kinda settled down a bit because it’s dangerous (illegally, and I know I’ll be in the mountains – we have some of the best mountain roads 30 min away) mostly because I can’t afford to live and keep that hobby concurrently.  Lasers are pennies in comparison!

RA_pierce said:
Haha, lasers are cool, however I dont know if I would compare a laser to my Girlfriend.
She has orifices.
Ahaha!
No just kidding.

The first time I got my hands on a laser pointer I was infatuated. I still have my first laser, but now the paint is stripped and it's awaiting a new 5mW module and some glue to fix the pocket clip. And maybe a paint job.

I think the explanation for the apparent loss of interest is not because the girl/laser/beverage becomes any less pleasing, necessarily, but that that pleasure becomes normal. So we seek something more to satisfy a greater requirement of excitement. That's why we set out to acquire a laser collection worth more than your girlfriend's/wife's wardrobe or shoe collection.  ;D
haha, but not only your girlfriend has those

See this is where people get mixed up, I’m not comparing lasers to women, I’m comparing our interest in one thing to our interest in another, but yes, they’re defiantly completely different fruits.  

Our browsing for new laser excitement may be equal to convincing your lady to try a new position.
 
Joined
Jul 24, 2008
Messages
1,415
Likes
0
Points
0
i think i may spend more on my laser hobby than i do or did on my bmw.

im a member of the bmwcca and it cost 25 dollars to race and we have a race once a month.

there are also scca races but im not as interested in them.

i like to stick to the local bmw family :)

my girl is always down to try new thing (i guess im lucky)
 

RA_pierce

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 16, 2007
Messages
3,399
Likes
378
Points
83
Ace82 said:
[quote author=RA_pierce link=1221154053/0#3 date=1221154857]Haha, lasers are cool, however I dont know if I would compare a laser to my Girlfriend.
She has orifices.
Ahaha!
No just kidding.

The first time I got my hands on a laser pointer I was infatuated. I still have my first laser, but now the paint is stripped and it's awaiting a new 5mW module and some glue to fix the pocket clip. And maybe a paint job.

I think the explanation for the apparent loss of interest is not because the girl/laser/beverage becomes any less pleasing, necessarily, but that that pleasure becomes normal. So we seek something more to satisfy a greater requirement of excitement. That's why we set out to acquire a laser collection worth more than your girlfriend's/wife's wardrobe or shoe collection.  ;D
haha, but not only your girlfriend has those

See this is where people get mixed up, I’m not comparing lasers to women, I’m comparing our interest in one thing to our interest in another, but yes, they’re defiantly completely different fruits.  

 Our browsing for new laser excitement may be equal to convincing your lady to try a new position.    [/quote]


:D Well, convincing isn't necessary. "Mutual creativity" makes things more fun.

I have a few hobbies, the three I am best known for are my collection of strange animals, my collection of lasers, and my collection of strange drawings.

But for some reason, more people ask "what's the point?" about this hobby than keeping living creatures in glass aquariums. My animals have cost me at least twice as much as my laser collection has...
 
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
199
Likes
0
Points
0
The passion is still alive!
I'm enjoying lasers as they are still a new conquest of knowledge for me.
I think I may have adult attention deficit disorder though, meaning that I get bored of stuff soon if it does not continuously supply me with that "Wow factor" feeling.
I always get jazzed up over a new hobby, then bury myself into it as a new fascination.
I soon become luke warm to it as I reach a point of diminishing returns.
Maybe I need to regulate my initial participation, so as to not reach early "burn out". :)
 

mmykle

New member
Joined
Dec 4, 2007
Messages
194
Likes
0
Points
0
lol you know its wierd. sometimes theres nothing else I want to do but play with lasers. Other times its kind of like... why did I buy this again? A fresh set of batteries and 5 minutes of playing around with it and I remember why: LASERS ARE AWSOME!!! ;D
 

Murudai

New member
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
2,238
Likes
13
Points
0
My passion for the dots isn't as high as it was originally...

But beams... :eek: I love seeing beams. First time I saw a a high powered green beam, I got all tingly inside. It was awesome as anything. And I still love seeing those high powered beams, they are so cool :D
 

GooeyGus

New member
Joined
Mar 8, 2008
Messages
2,673
Likes
38
Points
0
My passion isn't really the laser itself or even the light or the beam or the dot. It's the science and technology behind it that I love. I especially LOVE all the old gassers!!! HeNe's, Argons, HeCd, CO2, you name it. Awesome!!!
 

Ace82

New member
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
1,781
Likes
0
Points
0
GooeyGus said:
My passion isn't really the laser itself or even the light or the beam or the dot. It's the science and technology behind it that I love. I especially LOVE all the old gassers!!! HeNe's, Argons, HeCd, CO2, you name it. Awesome!!!
A-men! :D
 

Milos

New member
Joined
Apr 22, 2007
Messages
859
Likes
62
Points
0
Although I don't post regularly as much, love is still there!

Why lasers..

SILENT - POWERFUL - PRECISE - WEIGHTLESS ENDLESS EXTENSION OF MY ARM

same idea intrigued me since I was a kid. Its like a miracle I can have them, and make my own lasers now.
 




Top