Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Paper ignition?

I am aware that around 500mw is required to ignite paper, HOWEVER my 1W does not seem to do that, it will ember alot and smoke too, but I have not once been able to ignite it, same goes for leaves. So my question is, how can I get it to ignite? I can get toothpicks and pencils to ignite fine, but not paper, tips?

paint it black and dip it into flamable liquid..

:crackup: That will work, or just try more power. :lasergun: More power density makes a difference too.
My PLTB450B at only 1913mW can ignite paper, I haven't measured them but it looks like the beam is smaller in diameter than my other blue lasers, that would mean a higher power density, it is really quite dangerous. There was someone here with a build they did I think with a NDB7A75 and they posted a video where it set a paper bag on fire almost instantly.

Alan

Reactions: GSS
See, I have it very tightly focused, but strangely, this seems to have an adverse effect, when I focus it well, it will just poke a hole in the toothpick, but if I have it just a bit farther from where the beam is thinnest, it will ignite.

If you are burning through before it catches then un focus a little, you want to see the material glow red hot through your laser safety glasses, when it glows red/orange hot it will reach flashpoint. Hold steady and heat a larger area until it glows then it will reach flash point, also try the edges as there is not as much adjacent material to draw away heat energy.

Also you can crumple up the paper and hit it long ways into a fold, that way you get more energy built up into the material.

If all else fails get more power.

Try a brown paper bag, or McDonalds bag, my McDonalds bags full of their cardboard boxes go up like kindling in about 2 seconds.

If your paper is wet or very humid, such as if it has rained a lot give it 30 seconds in the microwave.

But seriously, nothing beats more power.

BTW double wall corrugated cardboard boxes are the hardest, they will light and go out, they need a lot of energy saturation to hit the chain reaction phase.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

My preferred method is more power and I don't say that to be a jerk, I say it because I think it is so very well worth it.

You have to protect your eyes and practice safety at all times to protect others when you work with your .5 watt, well same applies with 5 watts.

I have always enjoyed more power and always will, so be safe and enjoy.

Here's my NUBM44 lighting a paper bag, it struggled a bit but managed to get it done. :D

Last edited:

GSS

:crackup: That will work, or just try more power. :lasergun: More power density makes a difference too.
My PLTB450B at only 1913mW can ignite paper, I haven't measured them but it looks like the beam is smaller in diameter than my other blue lasers, that would mean a higher power density, it is really quite dangerous. There was someone here with a build they did I think with a NDB7A75 and they posted a video where it set a paper bag on fire almost instantly.

Alan
Oh yeah Pi, that PLTB450 sure does put out a thin beam even with the G2 lens, mine I was told is well over 2W and I see no need for a 3 element. I have to give credit as to "Lifetime" built it for me:) Yes a sweet burner

Hi,
I don't burn much paper but when i do i start a hole and work around the inside of the hole in a circular motion, this seems to work well to ignite paper of mostly any color. Basically Red said the same in a different manner so he is thinking the same way.

@ GSS,
Yes your build hits around 2200mW's buddy thats a great diode the PLTB450B like them better than the M140's . I don't remember when i bought a M140 last , i have only 2 other builds with them in it. Thank you for the compliment i try my best at this and the OCD makes me build even better LOL !!

Rich:)

If you are burning through before it catches then un focus a little, you want to see the material glow red hot through your laser safety glasses, when it glows red/orange hot it will reach flashpoint. Hold steady and heat a larger area until it glows then it will reach flash point, also try the edges as there is not as much adjacent material to draw away heat energy.

Here's my NUBM44 lighting a paper bag, it struggled a bit but managed to get it done. :D

nice video, sadly i'm holding off from more power since I had a very close call with my laser due to pure irresponsibility :( I might be getting/building myself a 2-3W later on my birthday and upgrading from my OD4 eagle pair to and OD6 as well.

I'll try what you said at the beginning since it seems to work with wood, but not with paper.

nice video, sadly i'm holding off from more power since I had a very close call with my laser due to pure irresponsibility :( I might be getting/building myself a 2-3W later on my birthday and upgrading from my OD4 eagle pair to and OD6 as well.

I'll try what you said at the beginning since it seems to work with wood, but not with paper.

I respect your decision a lot, but even half a watt can blind you up close where we do most experimenting, but better eyewear is a very good idea. :gj:

UPDATE: I managed to do it, but just barely. it took about a minute, past the duty cycle of the laser, and it seemed the laser itself got hotter than the paper :crackup: it worked with a martins bag and yellow paper too.

UPDATE: I managed to do it, but just barely. it took about a minute, past the duty cycle of the laser, and it seemed the laser itself got hotter than the paper :crackup: it worked with a martins bag and yellow paper too.

:gj: One small step for science, one giant leap for one man. :crackup:

Alan

Vision

:gj: One small step for science, one giant leap for one man. :crackup:

Alan

latest