Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ordered a PL-E host now what to put in it?

94Z28

Just a random thread because I am about to order a diode for this PL-E host I decided to build before I actually do the M44 maglite..

Really there is only diodes I am considering and that is a NDG7475/NUGM01T or a NUBM44.. but do you guys think the PL-E should get the NUBM44 or the green beast. I love blue lasers as you guys know the majority of the ones I have are blue I am starting to enjoy green more and really want a high powered one.

Can the PL-E heat sink handle a 1w green or a 7w blue diode though? Or should I stick something lower powered in it so that I can use it for a longer cycle.

I have to turn to you guys for advice because my old lady will flip out if I tell her how much the diodes are LOL. This build is to keep not to sell later but I may get tired of it and post it for sell eventually.

Any size heatsink will work with most diodes with the right duty cycles. The NUBM44 gets hot pretty quickly which is why I put mine in a 25mm copper module from DTR. I think you could get away with putting the NUBM44 in a smaller heatsink with a much shorter duty cycle, like 10 seconds every 60 seconds for 10 minutes, then let it cool for an hour or put it in the freezer. But then again I don't know the limits of this diode very well so I just play it safe with short duty cycles. As far as the 1W green diode goes you'll have to get a second opinion because I haven't felt that one heat up first hand.

Last edited:

94Z28

Thanks I figure the NUBM44 gets very hot I know my m140s get toasty fast in a C6 so I could imagine a 4.5A driven Diode gets very hot.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Which PLE host are you getting, the silver, or the black?
I think as the others have said, you could use any of those diodes in your PLE, but my personal choice would be the NDG 7475. :D
You should also consider the NUBM07E (465nm+), a beautiful wavelength.

Last edited:

Cel

I'd go with NDG7475 too! Great beam specs for a multimode diode.
Other nice choice would be NUB07 or NUB08. It's a matter of personal preference, really.
There are other nice wavelengths but with inferior beam specs.

94Z28

Actually I am not even sure I think I said silver.. but I'll be happy with either..

So the heat sink space is adequate for these to cool the high power diodes and actually hAve a duty cycle longer than 10sec?

Oh right 465nm would be interesting as I don't have any that wavelength either.

@Hap still waiting to see the outcome of that, I will have one though.

Last edited:

Sta

Actually I am not even sure I think I said silver.. but I'll be happy with either..

So the heat sink space is adequate for these to cool the high power diodes and actually hAve a duty cycle longer than 10sec?

Oh right 465nm would be interesting as I don't have any that wavelength either.

PL-E Pro has a giant heatsink, I believe. It's a huge host! I'm sure it can handle the high power diodes.

Encap

Just a random thread because I am about to order a diode for this PL-E host I decided to build before I actually do the M44 maglite..

Can the PL-E heat sink handle a 1w green or a 7w blue diode though? Or should I stick something lower powered in it so that I can use it for a longer cycle.

JetLasers sells PL-E 520 1W and sells PL-E 445nm 3.5W, 4W and 5W so I would not worry about it much.

Ask JetLasers----nobody on LPF builds anything in PL-E Pro hosts except Jetlasers themselves----so ask Gray what the duty cycle of 1W 520nm PL-E Pro and whatever else you want to know.

Last edited:
The new 488nm diodes! :D

-Alex

Mean, just mean lol ��

I had the 465nm in an 22mm aluminum DTR heat sink. It would get warm fast. I have transferred it to a SL ss host with the tapered extended heat sink and practically filled the back end of the module with thermal epoxy and I can run it over 60 seconds. What's strange is that when I first did the transfer I couldn't get more than 20 seconds before the driver would thermal out. I didn't get that with the aluminum heat sink. It's still making some heat in the new host but I'm ok with respecting the duty cycle.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I believe Cel has built a 2W+ NDB7875 450nm in a silver J/L PLE host. See his sig for a link to his build thread.

Cel

I believe Cel has built a 2W+ NDB7875 450nm in a silver J/L PLE host. See his sig for a link to his build thread.

True.
However mine is PL-E, not PL-E pro, although I don't think there are many differences between them.
Mine has a custom machined copper heatsink.

Regarding duty cycle, mine gets warm after a few minutes, depending on the outside temperature.

I've just tested it, at room temperature of 25°C, after 5 minutes of operation, temperature of the "head" (outer aluminium shell, where the fins are, closest to the diode) was 33°C. :wave:

Relatively speaking it's a bit on the lower powered side, but ever though of the M462? I've been looking into it and it looks great for a small build for mobility or large build for longer run times, I feel a project coming soon with it. Really neat little diode to play around with :D

Sta

Relatively speaking it's a bit on the lower powered side, but ever though of the M462? I've been looking into it and it looks great for a small build for mobility or large build for longer run times, I feel a project coming soon with it. Really neat little diode to play around with :D

Just my two cents, but I really don't like the M462. Maybe because my unit was built by eitan or (gasp) isn't really an M462. But from what I've seen there's barely any difference between it and 445.

Just my two cents, but I really don't like the M462. Maybe because my unit was built by eitan or (gasp) isn't really an M462. But from what I've seen there's barely any difference between it and 445.

Hm, that's no good. The M462 (DTR actually tested it to be 464nm) and our normal blue diodes have a 17-19nm wavelength difference so it should be noticible , did you ever LPM yours?