Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics Vs X-Series/Viper/Infiniti

Has anyone ever owned an Optotronics pointer and a std CNI X-Series/Viper/Infiniti, or in a good position to make a judgement on which is the best?

Basically, I want a good quality 50-60 mW pointer and the CNI's look well made and good quality, but I hear that Optotronics are top-end, quality-wise, with their RPL's etc... so naturally assume that their basic pointers might also be as good.

Can anyone offer any more than my assumptions based on price; considering how close the opto's are to their equivalent CNI's?

They do look different as far as their external appearance is concerned, but does anyone know what diodes/drivers are used and which is the better, more reliable and durable design?

Cheers.

ok optotronic pointers are basically newish -and dont really compare to cni types aka novas. infinitys are cni rejects imo cause they seldom meet standards
dont get me wrong Jacks pointers are checked out for i/r and what not but are still newish  :(

Get a x50 you should be very happy

Makes sense actually, the point about infiniti's and rejects, when you look at their prices.

Also, I had an infiniti once, and sent it back for a refund, but that was mainly due to rapid power drop from new batteries, that I put down to having a 125mW+ pointer.

That's why I'm limiting myself to 60mW max as I heard that that's about the real max reasonable output for a 2xAAA pointer, and although the previous infiniti had issues, it felt really sturdy compared to my normal ebay-style 10mW.

I was also looking at some of the Romisen DX kit and it's really well priced and looks reasonably well made, but an unknown to me.

Also, no ir filters on the majority of DX lasers right?

well for 1 thing if your in the us you'll have to use our secret weapon amk
but if not -yea all or most that i have dissasembled all had i/r filter of some sort
I have an infinty 95 its stable almost a year now its underpowered at 80 mw but hey its a wicked by product .my nova x100 seems ok but my infinity wont break so I have only used it maybe 10 times max  ::) ::) I'd say get a 50 75 or even the x100 you wont be dissapointed also ask about the case and free shipping oh and ask about a good average i got mine with the case, free shipping and 121 average nice... 209.00 out the door THANX NOVA  :p

bbshamsa said:
That's why I'm limiting myself to 60mW max as I heard that that's about the real max reasonable output for a 2xAAA pointer

Not sure where you heard that buts definatly not correct.
I have a CNI 150 which averages at 160mw and peaks at 170mw, its an awesome laser, can light matches instantly from about 2-3ft :D

iewed

From what I've heard, NOVA is one of the best pen-style laser distributors out there. Their lasers are constantly overpowered, I've heard great things about their customer service, plus the guarentee that you will recieve your laser(s).

I have a Techlasers Infinity 95 that has worked flawlessly for over 4 months now.  Its average output is about 118 mW's and this is with radio shack alkaline AAA's not fancy lithium's.  So I would not call it a WL reject although it is half the cost of their comparable model.  Incidentally, it looks exactly like the Nova laser pointer with the exception of a thin gold ring around the base but it is $50.00 less.  The warranties are both 3 months.  Maybe I got lucky with my Techlaser but I think any laser is going to be a gamble.  You will always need to be prepared that you may have to send it back, no matter what brand you go with.  Bottom-line:  If you have an unlimited budget then buy the most expensive with the best reputation.  If you do not have deep pockets then do your homework and go with your gut feeling.  By the way, I also own a 100 mW True Green laser I bought off of Ebay.  It cost me about $40.00 to include shipping.  It puts out about 57 mW's of steady power.  Do I feel cheated...no.  I got what I paid for and more.  A matter of fact, it is my favorite laser because it is bright, green, and beams to the moon and back.  Plus if I drop it or it breaks...no biggie, it was only 40 bucks and makes a great pointer.  Do I care if it puts out gobs of IR...NO.  Because when used as a pointer...its not an issue to be concerned about.  My 2 cents :)

One more point...Techlasers are CNI lasers. I have verified mine with them. Click on Verify laser on the bottom of Techlasers website.

Great advice guys, thanks.

My choice is clear now, I reckon I'll have to go with a Nova CNI.

I think I'll probably keep to my 60mW max, and get one of the Dragon Lasers beam expanders with a "Viper" adaptor.

ben74

Nice choice i have a 50mW newwish and a CNI 55mW and the CNI beats it hands down.

Attachments

• DSC00709.JPG
    DSC00709.JPG
    712.2 KB · Views: 432
Yeah it's nuts... When I first turn it on it holds damn near 120mW! Then slowly slides down to around 105mW, eventually settling around 95-100mW after more than a minute of run time.

Ace82

My x-75 averages 94mW.  My  Optotronics 225 was measured at 225mW on a not so fully charged battery.  :D

infinity 95 -vs- x100  --- I will do a real meter test as soon as mine arrives
its just i have both  the x100 looks way brighter and will light a match fast the infinity takes 10+ seconds on new batteries i like the infinity its in my shirt pocket right now -i even did the oh no pot mod on it it ssaid 115 on my laserbee 120 mw type meter but now says 80 mw after a couple months i wont endanger it with another pot mod

so when the keno-laserbee meters arrive ill measure and post the following

1) RPL 375---------- as tested by Jack 388 mw--------------actual keno-_____ actuall laserbee
2) infinity 95--------177.00 usd by techlaser 95-105 mw _____ ______
3) nova X100 ------as tested by nova 121 average _____ ______
4) 2 dx 200 red---- dx specs 200 mw _____ ______
5) several bluray builds - :p :p :p unknown _____ ______