Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics VS LaserGlow

payj

I want to but either the aries series from LG in the 150mw range or the 165mw opto. Which one do you think would be a better buy? The opto is a little more $ and they look real clean, but again its more $.

Also when you order the opto it asks if you want "full" laser certification. What does that mean? I used to have a nova laser and it came with average mw output and peak. Thats all I want. Does opto and lg give you those readings for free or do I have to spend the extra $30 to get that from these companies!!!

thx

For the extra $30 opto gives you a paper that says its average output, and which mode is the best for the specific unit. In my opinion its NOT really worth it. I would say go with opto, because later if (and you will) want more power opto has the trade in program. also the opto 165 should be about 170-185mW average with a peak of maybe 215? And then you can send it to a forum member here for power testing, one with a laser power meter :)
If your close I could do power testing for you if you could pay the shipping costs.
-Dustin

Last edited:

payj

One thing that "concerns" me is that it takes a rechargeable battery. Since it looks as though you have an rpl, what is your average battery life?

To the others continue to answer the original question as well as this if you like. I'm not trying to change the Q yet....

One thing that "concerns" me is that it takes a rechargeable battery. Since it looks as though you have an rpl, what is your average battery life?

To the others continue to answer the original question as well as this if you like. I'm not trying to change the Q yet....

Yes but the battery life will be the same with rechargible batts or not. My battey life is about 35-40min. However I have never ran it all the way dead. 18650 is what battery it uses, they are cheap. I suggest if you get the RPL go to dealextreme dot com and order a pack of them. Its like $5 for two :)
I also have owned the aries style (made by CNI) and let me tell you the silver RPL's look %10000 better, and feel much more quality. There is also a lot more tec in the RPL. You can run it for a long time, and it will senc e when it is getting hot enough to damage the laser, and will shut itself off. plus the RPL has top noch beam specs it has less than 1mRad beam divergance!!!
-Dustin

Last edited:

payj

Anyone else have opinions? Dont laze me, do you know if there are discounts for their lasers?

Anyone else have opinions? Dont laze me, do you know if there are discounts for their lasers?

I belive opto has a %5 discount if you have a LPF account... but Im not %100 sure on that. Just a min, let me check and see :)
-Dustin

OK opto has a %3 discount if you make an account with opto, its free!!! :D bottom line is that you will be happy with which ever laser you get. But there are a few diffrences in the units.

RPL
-silver/black
-key lock/adjustible
Aries
-black
-Key and plug
-Five second delay
Honestley the key AND plug get super annoying and so does the delay.

payj

Don't Laze thx for your help. YOur the only one chiming in!!! Ok I will make an account with them. I also heard if you just "ask" for a discount the owner sometimes hooks it up. Is that true?

Don't Laze thx for your help. YOur the only one chiming in!!! Ok I will make an account with them. I also heard if you just "ask" for a discount the owner sometimes hooks it up. Is that true?

Hmm Im not too sure if he will, Jack is a real nice guy, and I would not bother, but he does sometimes throw in that SWEET optics kit!!! For max power you are going to want to get the adjustible tail cap, the key lock tail cap is nice but will NOT get you as high of a power. Plus it is nice to be able to controll how much power your laser is outputting. Sadley my tail cap is all chewed up LOL.
-Dustin

payj

Do you think it is worth it to get an extra 7% off for just accepting a 90 day warranty? Theru have that option as well. Also, is it worth $100 more to get the rpl 200? or should I just stick with the 165? I know the more the better but for right now I just want an rpl so if it makes no diff I wont bother. I did have a nova laser alpha 125 should I expect much difference between the rpl 165 and that?

Do you think it is worth it to get an extra 7% off for just accepting a 90 day warranty? Theru have that option as well. Also, is it worth $100 more to get the rpl 200? or should I just stick with the 165? I know the more the better but for right now I just want an rpl so if it makes no diff I wont bother. I did have a nova laser alpha 125 should I expect much difference between the rpl 165 and that?
Hard questions, but If i were you i would do all I could to get a bigger RPL :) I would take the 90 day warranty aswell. You would notice a diffrence with the 165,but much more if it was side by side with the 125 or with burning. you would prob notice a large diffrence with the RPL 200.

-Dustin

roosl

Hey, I will chime in and agree with DLMB, that Optotronics is the way to go. I can only speak from my experience with Optotronics, which is excellent. I have no 1st hand knowledge regarding Laserglow. Jack is a great guy to work with, is in Colorado, so shipping is fast and easy, and he is well known for support and service, as well as top notch quality.

If you want an RPL, go for as much RPL as you can, even if you go for the shorter warranty.
:D

I would honestly keep the 1 year warranty as mine messed up about the 11th month mark..... as for a big difference problem not you will probably want to save up a little more money and try to short for a 250-300 or whatever your budget can afford at the moment .... also do not go with dx batteries as I have done test and the laser was less powerful then with the included battery or some quality tenergy 2600 mah batteries their about 5$ a peace but quality is worth it but the dx ultra fire charger is fine..... Every rpl is different as I can achieve max power on the non adjustable tail cap and find the adjustable one annoying unless I want to run the laser for longer..... Would probably chip in the extra 35$ for both capes and have best of both worlds.

I would honestly keep the 1 year warranty as mine messed up about the 11th month mark..... as for a big difference problem not you will probably want to save up a little more money and try to short for a 250-300 or whatever your budget can afford at the moment .... also do not go with dx batteries as I have done test and the laser was less powerful then with the included battery or some quality tenergy 2600 mah batteries their about 5$ a peace but quality is worth it but the dx ultra fire charger is fine..... Every rpl is different as I can achieve max power on the non adjustable tail cap and find the adjustable one annoying unless I want to run the laser for longer..... Would probably chip in the extra 35$ for both capes and have best of both worlds.

Hmm opto says the adjustible cap gives the most power...

depends on the laser some crystals will take all the power they can get some dont like to much power..... temp also plays into it also as they laser may have not cooled now all the way when i was testing.

roosl

I've been meaning to ask Jack...

My RPL-400 has the adjustable tail. Settings are 1 - 9. He indicated on the test results that the optimum diode current level is 5, which is where it averaged 422mW. So, I was wondering, without the adjustable cap, what level is the same laser? Is it always the equivalent of level 9?

I really like the adjustable, as I can set it low (1, 2) for most indoor stuff. I've rarely set above 7. I'm sure the lower settings drain the battery slower.

I'm going to get a LaserBee via Jerry's sale thread, and see what the various settings look like on that for fun.