Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics RPL BLUE 35

hey ace-thesocoolguy!: i still dont get why you asked jack not to send you the case & stuff.....was it because you wanted him to save some money??

Ace82

nikokapo said:
hey ace-thesocoolguy!: i still dont get why you asked jack not to send you the case & stuff.....was it because you wanted him to save some money??

Like I said, I requested him not send the case because I already have one and I really only need 1. Plus, he could save one. Plus I'd like to establish a good relationship with Jack for future purchases. Since he's my #1, I might be his! ;D :p (professional courtesy) Well I made a deal with him for the 30, and he surprised me with a 35. I'm not sure he would have sent me the 35 w/ the case, batt, charger, & optics.

darklandz said:
before i ordered my RPL blue i did ask Jack about the IR Diode in the blues -
he said all the blues he was getting in had the 2.5W N-light diode.
only Jack himself can confirm that.
Hi Nazir,
You're right, the RPL blue does have a 2.5W n-light IR diode.
When I began being a distributor for Viasho back in September 2007, they didn't know the requirements I had in place with my previous manufacturer, so they didn't know about the need for the n-light 2.5W IR diode in the RPL-blue, so I did get one order sent to me that did not include the 2.5W n-light in the RPL blue, these ended up being fairly under powered. This was corrected back in late October/early November time frame.
Since then every RPL-blue has been made with the n-light 2.5W IR diode.
I had also thought at that time that I had speced in the website that the RPl-blue had a 2.5W n-light diode, but after looking back through my archives as well as those listed in the "internet wayback machine", I found that the RPL-Blue was never listed on the website as having a 2.5W diode, at least as far as I can find by looking back using these services and my old backup files. I had just forgotten to list the diode wattage, but did list it as an n-light diode. The lack of the RPL-blue page not listing the n-light 2.5W diode was just an oversight on my part and all Optotronics RPL-blue products have had the 2.5W n-light with that exception of 2 units that were in my 1st order through Viasho in late Sept. / early Oct. of 2007.
Next time I update the RPL blue page I will add the 2.5W n-light to the spec as it should be so that it won't be thought of as having a lessor diode.
There are also a couple other improvements that are built into the Optotronics RPL (both green & blue) which will remain proprietary and not be listed in the spec. This is to prevent others from posting copies of our specs on their websites and calling them their own or telling everyone that their product has this same component, feature or so on, when in fact they don't.

Thanks Ace82 for bringing this thread to my attention so I can clear everything up and let everyone know that the Optotronics RPL blue does have the N-light 2.5W.

Jack

whoa, if a 2.5W diode can only get 35mW of blue, what would you need to get 35mW of yellow?

Ace82

nikokapo said:
whoa, if a 2.5W diode can only get 35mW of blue, what would you need to get 35mW of yellow?

Well these RPL's usually average around 40mW, even peaking more then 50mW. But yeah, the DPSS 473 isn't really that efficient over all. Not sure about the yellow, unless they discover a new technique.

50 years from now when "they" start to sell yellow/blue diodes....thats the way we'll produce our hacks..but idk anything about another way :(

(yet muahaha)

Ace82

VW said:
So is your laser still mode hopping?

Actually it is not. But then I respect it and don't let it run for +5min straight anymore either. If I were to have it on for longer, I suspect it would. I've actually used it for several minutes at a time (on/off) but no longer then 1-2 min consistent. This operation makes perfect. :)

Ace82

This morning, I discovered the power certificate Jack sent. I don't know about everybody else, but I don't keep my lasers in the static proof bags. My bag has been on my desk since I first got the laser. This morning, I noticed the paper inside. I was looking throughout the packaging in the box for it! :p Anyway, the average is 36mW with a little note about temperature that Jack left about how it is very sensitive to it, and that his lab was 71° when he tested the output.

It's no wonder these lasers come with a 1 year warrantee. They are built VERY solid.

Cool it turns out it came with the laser after all. Guess you overlooked it in the excitement unpacking a blue Opto RPL causes. ;)

john_lawson said:
wow you got quoted by Jack Dude thats cool

Its not rare for jack to talk to people he likes to follow up customer service to the max. The company he works for builds amazing lasers. There has not been a pm sent out to him from me that he hastn replied and got me the information i wanted and if i were to buy a high powered laser Optotronics would definately be my first choice hands down. How many bad RPLs have you heard about and if there is a problem its corrected and quick. Good Job Jack.

Yes Jack is absolutely "The Man" when it comes to High Quality Powerful Lasers, he is tops; I'm glad he cleared-up the diode info too.