Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[Optotronics] RPL-260 Review.

Moptsp

RPL-260 Review

As some may know, I ordered an RPL-260 back on Tuesday 7/13/10 from Optotronics.
Before I ordered it, I had been talking with Jack (the owner of Optotronics). This was probably 3 days worth. He was very nice and honest. Wasn’t there just to “get a sell” on me. After talking with him I decided on the 260. Again, this was on Tuesday. Soon after ordering it, Jack got back to me and said he will ship it soon, but not on Wednesday as he had a lot of orders ahead of me, but that he would ship it on Thursday and said I would have it by Saturday or Monday. Once Thursday hit, I checked my mail and there was no tracking number as he said there would be. Not to panic, he had sent me another email. He laid out honest and told me some personal things that had held him back a bit. So then he said if it didn’t ship today like he said (Thursday) he would send it Friday by Express Mail. This would guarantee delivery on Saturday before 3:00PM. I had only paid for priority mail shipping (like half the price of express.) So that was totally awesome of him to do.

However, USPS didn’t make them selves obvious while delivering on Saturday as I got a note in the mail saying they attempted to deliver it, but I wasn’t there to sign. Either NO one in my house heard it or it came very early while we all were sleeping. By the time the note was read, the PO had closed. So I had to end up waiting till Monday to get it anyway.

I feel quite bad for that. Though Jack still did awesome on his part, so you can’t take that away, even though I screwed up.

Well the other day I picked it up at my nearest USPS office. It was in a box about the shape and scale of a shoe box. Once I got past all that tape to open the box I found recycled paper (maybe?) as protection for shipment. Once I removed it, I saw the black case. J

I opened that and found it was all packaged nicely. Much nicer than I thought it would be. Everything had it’s own little plastic bag (charger, charger cord, key tail cap+key*2.) The laser it self, however; had a very nicely sealed “anti static” plastic like bag over it. Of course I took that out first. Once I got it out, I noticed the nice weight to it, not to heavy, but solid. And it was shiny! (You know Jack polishes these things before shipping them? :D)

It had the adjustable tail cap on it as I ordered both caps. The 18650 battery was in the laser during shipment, however; the tail cap was at “0” in off position with also the aperture closed.

I just messed around with it, just looking over it’s beauty. :D Then I finally read over the paper work, (was in the anti static bag with laser unit.) I wanted to make sure I read them before operating the laser *MUST DO!* When I unfolded the paper work, I saw a little key taped to it. This was the key you use with the adjustable tail cap. Though not used with the key tail cap, it has it’s own keys. After reading most of the paper, I saw what this lasers average output is 294mw over a 1 minute period! That’s awesome for an RPL-260! That’s average, not peak! It was also tested at level 8 of the adjustable tail cap!

After finished reading, I instantly put my safety glasses on. Turned the adjustable tail cap to 1, yes 1! The LED indicator glowed green. I then opened the aperture and turned the laser on. The LED indicator then went red. Man was this bright and powerful at only level 1. I got some electrical tape and attempted to burn though it. No problem at all…. I was amazed at only being at level 1. I then just went max with the tail cap… Wow, this thing will burn about anything! Burns right through a black CD case in just a few seconds. It can even do that on level 1, it just takes a bit longer. I lit a match at about 2 ½ -3 ft in less than a second last night.

The beam. Wooo. :) I would firmly fix both hands to the laser, aim it straight up at my sealing to prevent any eye hazard, and with my safety glasses on, I would turn it on. After I had turned it on to see exactly where the beam was going to go, I would tilt my head back to expose my eyes under the glasses to view the beam. It’s got a wider beam than my CNI pen (being about 1mm diameter.) I believe the RPL is around <1.5mm. The beam is definitely visible in the daylight. And the divergence seems very good also.

This is definitely a high quality laser, and I would definitely recommend it if you got the money. Everything on it is metal but the button, I believe. Other than of course, circuitry.

Pros on Unit
1) Very high quality and solid laser.
2) No IR, pure green output, of course with this thing!
3) Exposed (silver/reflective) aluminum body is a nice option, I like it more than the black.
4) Aperture slide seems to be given friction by a spring pushing it against the cap. So wear should be virtually eliminated.
5) On/Off button has a nice solid click function.
6) Battery compartment is of high quality. Battery fits well with really no rattling. And 7) also, no driver is exposed where the spring contacts the batter. It’s got a metal wall.
7) LED indicator stays green when on and red when beam is activated.
8) Aperture cap screws off so you can access the lens assembly, I believe. (not done it to prevent dust from getting in)
9) The key switch tail adapter is of high quality. The click and feel you get from turning off to on, and vice versa is very nice feeling and VERY satisfying. :D
9) And more… lol

Cons on Unit
1) It’s not really on the unit “it self”, but the adjustable tail cap can be annoying. You have to basically remove your safety glasses to see it or have a bright light to allow you to see inside. Also, it can be a slight pain to align the key with the slit. I believe someone on the forums here has made a fix for this though.
2) That’s really it honestly, currently anyway!

Anyway, what you were waiting to see (if you even read my massive review, if not I don‘t blame you. ;P PICS!)
Sorry for blury ones, stupid camera… :p

Attachments

• DSC03230.JPG
    DSC03230.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 430
  • DSC03237.JPG
    DSC03237.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 492
  • DSC03238.JPG
    DSC03238.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 397
  • DSC03227.JPG
    DSC03227.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 426
  • DSC03228.JPG
    DSC03228.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 429
  • DSC03229.JPG
    DSC03229.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC03233.JPG
    DSC03233.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 422
  • DSC03243.JPG
    DSC03243.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 482

niice rev!!!!.... rpl is a good laser....... :) try to buy a beam expander.. maybe the dragonlaser one.... that is cheap.

Very nice laser, but too much money for me. Opto wants $900 for a 532nm RPL-300, I got a CNI 300mW(rated) unit which is around 375mW with peaks in the mid 400's.
I do love the shiney host of the RPL though, but not for those prices, its cheaper to get a CNI and you can have more power for less money...
But if you have the money to spare, than the RPL is an excellent laser!

Moptsp

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Probably a group buy. Places like novalaser, dragonlaser, and laserglow don't sell their CNI models for much less. Dragonlasers sells the hulk ultra 300mw at $800, vs Opto at $900.

But the RPL supposed to have a divergence of <1mRad vs the spec of <1.2-<1.4, and also it has the nLight BrightLight technology. So you get a 80,000 MTTF vs >5,000 MTTF. So the closer >5,000 is to 5,000, the closer 80,000 is to 16 times the life!

You can get them from glenn for real cheap in the GB section of the forum, click on GB #10 for more info, #10 is already ordered but #11 is rumored to be starting shortly. Or you can click the CNI banner ad at the top of the forum page, find the laser you want, and send an email to Sales@cnilaser.com asking for a price quote, but they dont like individual sales, so glenn is your best bet.

Cool review! I have an RPL 350 in the same host, it /was/ a great laser but it died :( and Jack wants WAY too much to do anything with it... So for now, kenom is gunna have a look at it :) Great looking host dont you think?

Nice review:)
Only a Optotronics can officially be called a RPL:)

I love my RPL 450, it's one sweet laser. The best part about the adjustable cap is turning to leval 3, when showing it off. Then when everybody is wowed, crank it up to 8:eek:

And yes I do agree, finding that tiny slot with the screwdriver can be a pain.
jayrob is the LPF member who has a sweet fix for adding a knob, to the tail cap.
My only concern would be that if it got bumped, you could have it accidentally arm the laser.

Moptsp

Cool review! I have an RPL 350 in the same host, it /was/ a great laser but it died :( and Jack wants WAY too much to do anything with it... So for now, kenom is gunna have a look at it :) Great looking host dont you think?

That stinks. Are you the one that had several PGL's that died before getting the RPL?

Nice review:)
Only a Optotronics can officially be called a RPL:)

I love my RPL 450, it's one sweet laser. The best part about the adjustable cap is turning to leval 3, when showing it off. Then when everybody is wowed, crank it up to 8:eek:

And yes I do agree, finding that tiny slot with the screwdriver can be a pain.
jayrob is the LPF member who has a sweet fix for adding a knob, to the tail cap.
My only concern would be that if it got bumped, you could have it accidentally arm the laser.

Yeah, it can be annoying. Is there a reason you bump it to 8 rather than just full blast? I'm liking the key tail cap the most for it's simplicity, and it's just 0 to full blast. Is it not as efficient?
Though I also just thought, the new cap has 15 power levels (16 levels total counting 0 being off.) Do you have this one, or the 10 power level one? If you got the 10, then I guess 8 would be like 12 for me (80% of 15), or "C" as labeled.

Last edited:
That stinks. Are you the one that had several PGL's that died before getting the RPL?

Yeah, it can be annoying. Is there a reason you bump it to 8 rather than just full blast? I'm liking the key tail cap the most for it's simplicity, and it's just 0 to full blast. Is it not as efficient?
Though I also just thought, the new cap has 15 power levels (16 levels total counting 0 being off.) Do you have this one, or the 10 power level one? If you got the 10, then I guess 8 would be like 12 for me (80% of 15), or "C" as labeled.

I have the newer 16 level tail cap.
8 to 9 is the most efficient setting for my laser, as determined by Jack.
Going full blast wont harm the laser, but it can over saturate the crystal. Over saturating the crystal wont give you more power. In fact in can decrease the power.
Also by not going full blast you also increase your duty cycle.

Yup... then I bought a RPL that was dieing from day 1 but I was too stupid to notice, that deal still makes me sick when I think about it... $875 into NOTHING and yes i got the RPL for $700 but there is more to it that you all dont know... >:| RAGE

Moptsp

Ah, that sucks. How were you to "stupid" to notice it was dieing? What do you know now thinking back?

Anyway, do you have any other greenies that output as much as what it did, or are you out with the high powered 532's?

Ah, that sucks. How were you to "stupid" to notice it was dieing? What do you know now thinking back?

Anyway, do you have any other greenies that output as much as what it did, or are you out with the high powered 532's?

I have a jetlaser that is usually about 300 I have kens titan that hits a lot more but it is in for repair. I was flickering and having power drops and hikes... like from 370 down to 17 and back...

Kenom

would you be willing to take a picture of the module inside the head? I think that Don't_laze_me_bro's RPL is missing an OC or lens at the top of the module. I'd like to see exactly what it is so I can replace it.

Here is the picture of his. You can see the white glue on top clearly indicates there was something on top

P7260032.JPG

Moptsp

I wouldn't be willing to screw up my laser lol. But I wouldn't mind getting a picture if it was safe and easy to get too. How did you get to that?