Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Optotronics, problem.

Piesak12

Hello! I am in the need of a good and safe laser pointer for educational purposes (I freaking love science, and I want one to do experiments with, I am 16yo). It'll be my first laser. After an excessive amount of research, I decided to buy a "Premium 4.99mW+ Green laser" from optotronics ( https://www.optotronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=Opto5 ). As I am an unlucky loser, I got unlucky again and the laser is "out of stock". I've tried to contact optotronics and ask when will it be available again through an e-mail about 5-6 days ago, however, I haven't received any response. I tried again yesterday again, no response. Tried today with a different e-mail account, still nothing. Do you guys know if something is wrong with optrotronics at the moment or maybe I should contact them in the other way (not a phone call, I am not native English speaking, I mean I could, but I really don't want to)? Maybe give up and purchase something else? I don't want to buy anything from e-bay, because, you know permanent eye damage stuff due to someone selling 50mW as 5mW. I was considering laserglow, but their shipping prices to Poland are absolutely crazy, I mean 70$+ for the slowest one, also their lasers are very expensive (like I said 16yo I don't have any income, also in my country 1$ is more expensive than 1$ for US citizens). Do you have any recommendations for good lasers or actually any advice would be amazing, I don't have anyone to ask for help, heck 90% of my "friends" (classmates, parents) don't know what a laser is (slight exaggeration, but you get the idea). PS: please point out my grammar errors, I'll be more than happy to improve. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

GSS

You don't have to apologize for your grammar:)
Have you thought of a 10mw?
I can try calling and asking the owner if you want..

Edit: I did try calling them and they had a voice mail saying they are busy assisting others and to leave a message..
I have had great success with the owner "Jack" answering in the past.

Piesak12

You don't have to apologize for your grammar:)
Have you thought of a 10mw?
I can try calling and asking the owner if you want..

Edit: I did try calling them and they had a voice mail saying they are busy assisting others and to leave a message..
I have had great success with the owner "Jack" answering in the past.
Thanks/ Yes, I did. I have almost zero experience with lasers and from what I've read online 5mW is the safe power limit. Of course, I don't intend to point the beam at anyone else's eye, but I wanted to feel safe doing whatever experiment I can think of. If you're saying that 10mW is still not enough to hurt my vision (without magnifying and overally not being irresponsible), I'll read some more about it and reconsider power limit./ Thanks for a proposition, but I'll have to pass.

Reactions: GSS

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
To be fair, I joined the hobby before I was 18. It's the mentality of the individual that makes the difference imo.

Edit: If inexperienced, please stick to <5mW until you gain that experience. With lasers it takes a split second for things to go wrong.

Piesak12

Not to be cold hearted, but 16 years old? What happened to the 18 years or older requirement?
I've read terms of service and rules, I haven't noticed any age requirements but, I might be wrong, I am not the most eagle-eyed. I don't think I was impolite in any way either. I don't see a reason to not ask questions here. From what I know you're the best people to ask on the internet, so it's the most logical thing for me to do. I don't want to make stupid purchases, especially when it comes to my health.

Piesak12

To be fair, I joined the hobby before I was 18. It's the mentality of the individual that makes the difference imo.

Edit: If inexperienced, please stick to <5mW until you gain that experience. With lasers it takes a split second for things to go wrong.
Thank, you. I've been interested in science for as far as I can remember. Getting a laser is something that I've dreamed of for years.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I know the feeling piesak. I remember when I got my first laser. It was a limited 1mW 532nm. But it was enough to get me fixed. I then later increased its power through modification. It only reached <10mW, but it was enough for me to start to appreciate the safe usage of higher power lasers. Only then did I progress onto more powerful Class 3b/4's. The fact that you are interested in science is a huge positive. It tells me you don't just like them because they are cool.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Wow, you was young. IIRC, I think I was around 15 when I first started, and didn't start becoming serious until 16.

Anthony P

LPF Site Supporter
American Science and Surplus has something very similar for half the price. I have no idea about shipping costs.

I have dealt with them many times in the past, and they are very trustworthy.