Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics Premium +150mW Green Laser Pen

Since this is my first review, I'll be copying the structure of another review :beer:

OPTOTRONICS 150mw+ LASER PEN

Shipping/Packaging
Shipping was 7.95$, but it only took 3 days to come to California! :eek:

The laser came in a small white cardboard box capable of fitting inside a mailbox. There was newspaper for cushioning and it did its job since the laser did not arrive defective. :yh:

The laser itself came in a white presentation box along with some black cushioning foam. I scorched the foam a couple times ;). I marked the case with a sharpie because I could never open it right on the first try :p
cXioH.jpg

Unfortunately, the laser does not come with batteries.
GbRjG.jpg

Appearance/Feel

Despite the run-off-the-mill look, the laser feels very sturdy and heavy. It is well built and there is no rattling when waved around (expect for the button).

The warning sticker was actually on the bottom of the laser, I moved it to the top because it made more sense there.

Operation
The laser runs on 2 AAA batteries that go in positive first
f9kPM.jpg

The duty cycle as stated on the optotronics website is 60 seconds on and 30 seconds off at 21 Celsius, or 69 Fahrenheit. I recommend to stay under that duty cycle because mode hopping is usually induced 30 seconds after it's turned on. Although this could be due to the humidity in the air.

The momentary power button on this laser is very nice. You don't have to push the button very hard for full power, nor does pushing it harder increase output, unlike some cheaper lasers. This laser is NOT focusable, like most green lasers, but a magnifying glass will do the trick ;).

The laser operates in TEM00. It mode hops sometimes when first turned on but that's to be expected in green lasers..
qlrHT.jpg

A picture of it mode hopping
gQCAr.jpg

Visibility/Output
Sadly, I do not have a LPM at the moment (I'm working on getting one), but optotronics can be trusted with their output powers.

As expected for a 150mw+ laser, it is blindingly bright, even more so than my 1 watt blue laser. The beam is razor thin and has a divergence of 1.2 mRad.
ekXy2.jpg

It does all the classic burning tricks. It pops balloons, lights matches, smokes leather, and cuts electrical tape.

A wallet
Rvl3F.jpg

I took these photos through laser goggles
U4zfu.jpg

cVFRz.jpg

9j1j0.jpg

Electrical
Yes I know I need to cut my nails
kNfkt.jpg

wnB39.jpg

HkCah.jpg

lnDht.jpg

MjdbN.jpg

Balloons
A balloon in a balloon in a balloon in a balloon - YouTube
Matches...
Unfortunately, I ran out of matches the other day so I can't post a video. Sorry :yabbem:
BEAM SHOTS
pff i didn't use any smoke... :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
il2hQ.jpg

ELSBk.jpg

uRAS6.jpg

r5DTb.jpg

Conclusion
I would definitely buy this laser again if I had the money. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good quality laser pen.

I hope you liked it!

THE END

Last edited:

DJNY

Good and clear first review :beer:

It´s not about cutting your nails, it´s their dirt-stained look frightining me :scared:

Thank you :D
And lol the dust is frightening to me too. I have no idea how it got there :thinking:

The presentation box and laser itself looks just like the one I ordered from the "Things You Never Knew Existed" mail-order catalog last year, which they hailed as the "world's
brightest laser pointer", for $49. It was only a 5mW. Obviously yours is 150mW, and I should send a message to the catalog telling them not to say theirs is the brightest. Maybe they meant brightest of the colors.

Opto LAZOR pen

Here you go. I just noticed they are doing a limited +175mW pen, perhaps they have deciced to bin some very efficient 150mW pens for those who will shell out a little more

Last edited:
lol, it actually pretty fair, i paid over twice that much when i got my 150mW green pen many moons ago.

Good review Isaidhi. I have the same laser and am very happy with it also.

I'm surprised I didn't see this review earlier! It's a nice one... lots of descriptive pictures:D

If it wasn't for the super generic looking host, I would have gotten a while back.